Chainsaw sharpening

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So for years I was just "ok" at sharpening my chainsaw chain. I was taught by my dad who had his own firewood company. He obviously was better at sharpening them then me until recently. I was going to get another new chain but decided to google it first. I took my marginally sharpened chain, after looking at google/yahoo searches on how to do it properly, and turned it around big time. The first time was way better. I did it again friday night and cleaned the upper edge with a file so it is nice and straight then used it a bunch saturday on fallen trees. WOW it is like a brand new chain. Huge chances coming out.

So if you are like I was check into it. I had a kit with two files and a gauge in it but didn't fully understand all the pieces. Now I am a fricken pro. :beer:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No link. There are tons of web pages. You need to find out what angles you need for your chain. I sharpened mine at a 25 degree angle when I should have done a 30 for example. One of the things that made a huge difference.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing like a fresh (properly) sharpened chain. I like to file the rakers down a little more than suggested, really makes the strips fly but ya gotta hang on tight lol

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and they are so much better when you touch them up frequently. Like after every tank of gas.......

I should learn how to do this.

I have spare chains and drop them off at the dealer to sharpen.

Should do it myself

lgallant

Reaction score
I worked in the bush hand falling for about ten years and sharpened my chain after every tank of gas and I can tell you first hand that practice is the key. There are different tips and tricks that you learn with time. If you are just starting out a guide is very useful. This will set the file for you. This is the best one dollar for dollar in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked in the bush hand falling for about ten years and sharpened my chain after every tank of gas and I can tell you first hand that practice is the key. There are different tips and tricks that you learn with time. If you are just starting out a guide is very useful. This will set the file for you. This is the best one dollar for dollar in my opinion.

The one I bought it just the flat piece your round file fits into. Has different angles and basically sets your height also. The kit is from stihl

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should learn it to. I usually drop it off at the rental house and they sharpen it for about ten bucks. But if I was in the bush and hit a rock or something it would be nice to know how.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should learn it to. I usually drop it off at the rental house and they sharpen it for about ten bucks. But if I was in the bush and hit a rock or something it would be nice to know how.

I do they same. Drop at rental house.

Ok let's get beer and practice.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these from the stihl dealer last year. And wow does it simplify sharpening the chain.
I've always spent time sharpening my saw with the regular old files. And thought I was doing a great job until I used this tool last year. Night and day difference and super easy to use. Almost idiot proof.
It sharpens the cutters and files down the rakers in one motion. And is set to the proper gauge.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these from the stihl dealer last year. And wow does it simplify sharpening the chain.
I've always spent time sharpening my saw with the regular old files. And thought I was doing a great job until I used this tool last year. Night and day difference and super easy to use. Almost idiot proof.
It sharpens the cutters and files down the rakers in one motion. And is set to the proper gauge.

Almost idiot proof. I will have to try that maybe. Or just wait till arff gets good then invite him over drink beer and watch him sharpen my saw.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got an electric one from princess auto i used a chain i sharpened yesterday and it was awesome and only take aro 5 min to sharpen one

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a rake file in my tool box for past 20 years, has filed everything from internal motor parts to broken finger nails. I now know what it is for lol good old u tube

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the first time you use it after you do a good sharpening job to it you can giggle like a little girl like I did. I wanted to cut down every tree in site lol

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my father in law has a saw mill and sharpens his saws daily (less now as he is semi retired). I think he would disown me if he seen my butchering job on a chainsaw LOL.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first job when I was logging was on the landing, bucking trees, we were in big wood and had to use 48" bars. You learn real quick not to touch the dirt and also how to sharpen your chain properly and quickly. The wear mark on the top of the chain will keep your angle correct if you prefer to freehand it. Also, try and use the same number of file strokes on each tooth, keeps the wear a lot more even. After all these years, I still sharpen my saw on the tailgate, not sure if I could do it on a bench

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Looked at Rental house today. 44.00

I have 2 saws with different size chains. So would need 2 of them.

That's 88.00 dollars worth of beer

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first job when I was logging was on the landing, bucking trees, we were in big wood and had to use 48" bars. You learn real quick not to touch the dirt and also how to sharpen your chain properly and quickly. The wear mark on the top of the chain will keep your angle correct if you prefer to freehand it. Also, try and use the same number of file strokes on each tooth, keeps the wear a lot more even. After all these years, I still sharpen my saw on the tailgate, not sure if I could do it on a bench

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
After watching the videos I am now using the vise. Works awesome and the angles are perfect

Top Bottom