Chainsaw sharpening

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to type $45 hr but then Id be losing money vs the $10 per chain

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug he will be here one night. I've got one that needs sharpening. You bring the beer.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cut a lot of soft wet wood so I use a skip tooth chisel. I knock the bumpers way back and keep it shap. It falls thru wood and produces a wall of chips. I like the skip tooth cause it has half the number of teeth so it sharpens twice as fast. I believe it stays sharp just as long as a regular chisel owing to the fact the chunks are so big. Harder wood is another story though. I also keep a old cutting bar and chain for dirty round the house jobs. A nice straight tight bar is important and nothing screws up a bar like grit and dirt.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to cut anything in site run a bullet chain. We use them at work. Never sharpen them. Just replace the chain. Kind of expensive for personal use.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to cut anything in site run a bullet chain. We use them at work. Never sharpen them. Just replace the chain. Kind of expensive for personal use.
Would it cut 50 year old Choke Cherry roots?? How much$$?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank You. Crap those things are hard, beats the crap out of the chain. Lots of grit to.

Yes and dirt or crap is hard on a chain.

I will get exact price for you today

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Looked at something similar. Might be the same chain. Figured I'd learn how to sharpen instead. Cheaper.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thank You. Crap those things are hard, beats the crap out of the chain. Lots of grit to.

Yes, cutting clean standing dead wood deep in the forest is the best. Beside a gravel road, not as good. Bucking up on the ground can be tough on a chain, so cut a little more than halfway through and roll the log with a peavy and cut the rest of the way through. Roots and things laden with dirt is tough on a normal chain. Even in construction the use of a carbide tipped chain is good but gets damaged.

Chains are cheap (my 12' Stihl is like $24 and my 16" or 24" are under $30 I think). If you start out with a new chain, sharpen it often, before the angles get screwed up. Put the file in at the angle on the tooth and concentrate on holding the same angles. Sharpen until the shiny edge on the tooth is gone.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, cutting clean standing dead wood deep in the forest is the best. Beside a gravel road, not as good. Bucking up on the ground can be tough on a chain, so cut a little more than halfway through and roll the log with a peavy and cut the rest of the way through. Roots and things laden with dirt is tough on a normal chain. Even in construction the use of a carbide tipped chain is good but gets damaged.

Chains are cheap (my 12' Stihl is like $24 and my 16" or 24" are under $30 I think). If you start out with a new chain, sharpen it often, before the angles get screwed up. Put the file in at the angle on the tooth and concentrate on holding the same angles. Sharpen until the shiny edge on the tooth is gone.

Camping I see so many guys drag the log down a gravel road through the mug then buck it up. That's hard on a chain. Sounds like I just need to drink beer with arff and watch Larry sharpen my saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Camping I see so many guys drag the log down a gravel road through the mug then buck it up. That's hard on a chain. Sounds like I just need to drink beer with arff and watch Larry sharpen my saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always do that. Yes let's drink and watch Larry.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u two are scaring me,

I will hide the beer till the saw work is done, safer.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you ever seen arff sit still when there is beer involved, he will be going crazy trying to get his saw going, I may need to drain his saw gas, lol. ps don't tell him, I'm sure he won't read this haha

Top Bottom