Chain saw

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a couple of old bruisers. The stihl is approximately 7hp with the arctic package and it is a beast, It was my hardwood saw.
I only used Oregon bars and chains, they have bigger teeth and cut faster. The 254 is my softwood saw, both are over 20 years old, the 254 is my camping saw now and I started up the magnum this summer for the first time in 6 years. It started second pull.

I toyed in the late 90, with the thought of a carbide chain but learned how to keep a chain sharper longer. The were very expensive to purchase back than and the grinding wheel was more than the chain.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for an 80volt saw as the husky 61 is not always needed.
Will have to see one in operation and then cough up some coin.
They cost more than a gasser.
Boxing Day sale at CT??

Wow costco has these saws, just buy the large battery. If you read the features it say it is equivalent to 45cc gas saw. So my prediction it cut like 45-50cc saw was pretty close. But after reading you need the battery and charger ct might be cheaper on a sale.

https://www.costco.ca/greenworks-pr...ainsaw,-bare-tool-only.product.100404751.html

Last edited:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My husky 61 cut pretty good, one thing when choosing a battery saw for say your sxs or when you just want a saw to run, what is the best battery out there. And i would have to say Milwaukee would be the best. Not sure about their chain saw though. Once you go down that road you tend to buy the same tools.. as you are vested in the batteries which cost as much or more than the tools. Nothing beats a Milwaukee impact gun.... lots to consider before buying. The greenworks saws are not light, and costco carries the batteries as well as the lawnmower i think.

Agree with the battery comment. I have a tone of cordless hand tools and batteries. Both millwakee and dewalt. Personally prefer my yellow stuff over the red. Get the brand that you already use, or that offer the other tools that you might get in the future.

All the tools are junk without a good battery and I have a lot of broken tools and fawked batteries of both brands.

The lithium batteries can get screwed from sitting discharged or freezing while dead. Or rain apparently from my experience.

These are not a replacement to gas for a guy who is gonna go work his yard tools for a couple hours or more strait.

Super convenient for somebody that puts them to work for short periods or out on the trails.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have not tried the fuel yet, i am stuck with ct maximum tools .. hoping the 1/2" 750ft/lbs impact will be 1/2 as good as milwaukee. The greenworks chainsaw is in the mid range, and all the gas saws in the mid range seem to be a pile of junk..for me anyway.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup the Milwaukee drills and impacts are insane! The 3/4 inch impact can do over a hundred bolts before you switch batteries, I have no doubt you could chainsaw all day if it’s like that.
Hahah their impacts are absolutely awesome, I have a whole fleet. The chainsaw is super handy for small jobs or using it in places where its next to impossible to pull start something.

When really working the saw I get about 40 minutes of actually cutting time out of it before the 12 amphour battery needs to be changed. Its runs well on the 9 amphour but you cant work it as hard as it will over heat the battery...

Top Bottom