Catalyst Cat Chassis

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt drive is another area where weight and rotating mass can be saved and they have become as reliable as a chain system. Many think they are better than chains and some think chains are better. Why do you think Cat went belt drive?
When Doo eventually catches up and sticks in a belt drive, I'm sure it will be the best ever.
An engineering marvel I'm sure - well...... as soon as BRP finds a place to buy their new tech from.......

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When Doo eventually catches up and sticks in a belt drive, I'm sure it will be the best ever.
An engineering marvel I'm sure - well...... as soon as BRP finds a place to buy their new tech from.......
Then there will be a video from “you know who”…. And it’ll be “super awesome”….

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

if you dont think they've tested belt drives and determined that its not worth it , well, sorry lol.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not changed a belt in three years of belt drive use - used to change my ski-dud drive belt every third weekend at best
Used to pack way more belts when I owned a doo
Belt drives typically run a smooth trouble-free life......... they don't wobble to a slow death like a G5 chain wobbly thingy......
Try packing those parts in your tunnel bag along with the fresh oil.
No thanks!

i dont doubt for the average old geezer its a cool deal to say you have a belt drive. But for guys that rip extra hard, they break them. all there is too it. Way more guys tinkering with belt drives than chain drives thats a fact jack

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well, it wont be a belt drive. They arent engineering the titanic. Think bigger

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they make belt drives because marketing. people think they’ll actually notice the difference.
if they actually improved performance to a noticeable degree, there’d be posts and YouTube comparison vids showing exactly that but there’s not.
same deal for cans. all a company has to do is come out with an idea and imply a performance increase, and that you’ll def notice the weigh loss, etc, and our lizard brains convince us it has to be. companies are counting on consumers to not think critically.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont doubt for the average old geezer its a cool deal to say you have a belt drive. But for guys that rip extra hard, they break them. all there is too it. Way more guys tinkering with belt drives than chain drives thats a fact jack
You better get a fact checker there bud, not one drunk on doo-laid either.
Cat knows where its at, the trolls know it and fear it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when are people going to beable to buy this thing? Winter is fast approaching...

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a belt drive on my sled and besides the 15lbs of weight I dropped the response and less maintenance is worth it. If I was buying a G5 (best sled out there right now ;)) I would probably be throwing a belt drive in it first thing even if it was just for the weight and trouble free maintenance . Good on arctic cat for stepping up their game, if they can pump out a factory turbo they might just be back in the mix. Would be nice to try one out on a demo this season.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they make belt drives because marketing. people think they’ll actually notice the difference.
if they actually improved performance to a noticeable degree, there’d be posts and YouTube comparison vids showing exactly that but there’s not.
same deal for cans. all a company has to do is come out with an idea and imply a performance increase, and that you’ll def notice the weigh loss, etc, and our lizard brains convince us it has to be. companies are counting on consumers to not think critically.
Not true. They actually make belt drives becasue they lighter, simpler and cheaper to build. 2 gears and a belt, done. No tensioner, no cover and o-ring seal, no oil etc. Why do you think Doo went to the removable driveshaft design? It was not to make track changes easier for their customers, it was so the chaincase could be installed pre-assembled and full of oil. Just trying to simplify production. Doo has not gone to the belt drive becasue they have the driveshaft right next to your ankle and the belt is twice as wide as the chain so there is limited room. Other manufacturers don't have the footrest so far forward. Good that Doo lets the rider get over the motor more but there is a cost to it. Wait until Doo fully goes to 15" wide tracks and then they can narrow the tunnel and that will leave more room for their "game changing belt drive system".

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all that is well and good but i'm referring to the supposed performance increases and not the ease of manufacture, less maintenance, etc as the reason guys want these and was the reason i almost bought a tki set up some years back but then i did the research. i'm simply saying that spending a grand plus on an aftermarket belt drive especially on a surface as variable as snow, is money poorly spent if looking for performance increase. you can save money and get actual acceleration improvement by changing the tooth count on whichever sprocket of the chain drive.
if the sled has a factory BD then great and i'd own one but i'd be realistic about the company's claims.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all that is well and good but i'm referring to the supposed performance increases and not the ease of manufacture, less maintenance, etc as the reason guys want these and was the reason i almost bought a tki set up some years back but then i did the research. i'm simply saying that spending a grand plus on an aftermarket belt drive especially on a surface as variable as snow, is money poorly spent if looking for performance increase. you can save money and get actual acceleration improvement by changing the tooth count on whichever sprocket of the chain drive.
if the sled has a factory BD then great and i'd own one but i'd be realistic about the company's claims.
I don't think most do the belt drive for strickly performance increases. Most have been butt hurt with an exploded chaincase or like the ease of maintenance or belt changes, if required. Also some are looking for areas to reduce over-all weight. A little here and a little there, it all adds up to make the performance noticable. If you ride stupid deep snow often, a lighter sled is a huge win when it comes to getting unstuck by yourself. How many guys consider that performance increase? I know what it takes to get my sled out of a stuck compared to my buddy's Doo 850T. And they both get stuck, now and again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom