Caribou closures

Sofa King much pow

Reaction score
Well I guess We can thank all the bone heads that had to ride in the caribou closures last week.
It was one of the worst compliance flights to date.
Both Frisby and Sale where torched up beyond belief.
Guys had ridin right pass the signs with no reguard for the closure.
When We lose more riding areas do to this stupidity I guess We can blame it on someone else.
If We can't make sure that We don't ride in closed areas they will shut more areas down like Caribou Basin and half of Keystone.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%

Road fris today and couldn't believe the tracks.

Was hoping to catch someone down there and kick them in the balls when they came up.

We went to the end in the burn.

Good stuff in there.

from my HTC

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with people.... They think they're not going to get caught and that they're above the law but seriously, when is it going to end?! We should all be so thankful that we have sledding groups that take care of trails and maintain certain riding areas so that we can get out and enjoy the sport we love. I've been up on boulder and frisby at times where everywhere ya go is like a highway, and unless you're a local then it's hard to find areas with fresh powder. My group just finds other ways to have fun and enjoy ourselves like build jumps or have cook ups or whatever. A bad day on the hill is still better then any day stuck in fort Mac. I just wish these a$$holes that do these things would do the same. Sooner or later were gonna lose more and more terrain. Too bad there wasn't some way of developing a GPS system that tracks all sleds going up the trails and as soon as one sled enters a closed area a chopper goes on the hunt or something. I know that's crazy expensive and just not feasable but that would probably be the only way to put an end to this. I hate caribou closures just as much as the next guy but its the law, we still have to abide by them.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The plane and chopper was checking yesterday.

Dunno some people's children these days.

Guy at the booth even told everyone to stay out.

from my HTC

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This sport will not continue if people can't smarten the fk up. We are being watched and it's up to us to show that we can display some level of self control and respect. The sad thing is that the handfull of idiots that do screw it up do not give a st.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u can't fix stupid seen some guys at frisby our last trip who were down in the marked area where new trees were planted and were they ever stuck. Usually we stop and help we just looked and drove away same saying u can't fix stupid.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've said it before on this site and I'll say it again. Alot of people that see guys abusing the closures just stop, look and shake there head and carry on. Nobody wants to get involved or confront violaters and in a way I don't blame them. There are some serious whack jobs out there. We either need to pay people to patrol these areas which then means higher trail fees for everyone or go to some kind of bounty hunter deal where you get paid for ratting out closure area infractions. I know I am concerned at the sheer number of sleds on the hill even on a Tuesday or Wednesday nowadays. If we lose more area's because of peoples stupidity then those area's are going to be even more crowded than they already are. Just my 2 cents.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
beating up a few may help and i like the idea but what we need is tougher punishment...

rididng cluds and riders need to get together lobby the gov't and suggest that the cost of patroling with helicopters be mitigated with lets say a 2000k fine and seizure of machine... it would be easy enough to snap some pics and id the people when they got back to their trucks.. get some real snappy modded sleds for conservation officer and let them go ride in these areas without identifing themselves until their up with the problem children

I bet that would slow most idiots... and then it will also show the public that the majority of sledders are willing to do what right for the environment

next time some tree hugger says sledders are bad we can all point our fingers that we pushed and suggest the legislation...

sledding cluds should be involved in the enforcement and writing of legislation so that it gets done right... i doubt the gov't has any idea what it's really like out there other then we're all bad...

Last edited:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
beating up a few may help and i like the idea but what we need is tougher punishment...

rididng cluds and riders need to get together lobby the gov't and suggest that the cost of patroling with helicopters be mitigated with lets say a 2000k fine and seizure of machine... it would be easy enough to snap some pics and id the people when they got back to their trucks.. get some real snappy modded sleds for conservation officer and let them go ride in these areas without identifing themselves until their up with the problem children

I bet that would slow most idiots... and then it will also show the public that the majority of sledders are willing to do what right for the environment

next time some tree hugger says sledders are bad we can all point our fingers that we pushed and suggest the legislation...

sledding cluds should be involved in the enforcement and writing of legislation so that it gets done right... i doubt the gov't has any idea what it's really like out there other then we're all bad...

I agree 100% with the tougher enforcement for obvious infractions. Yes boundaries of managed areas are tough to sign every five feet although clubs are working hard at this. What really drives me batty is seeing groups stage at and enter into closed land as soon as they leave there trucks, and are very obviously in the wrong and just dont care. IMO, it is these groups that the helicopters and planes should be going after to make an example out of (the ones who make a concious choice to ride closed land) A few seizures and large fines, instead of threats would really make the news and get spread around. Another frustrating point from our end is the lack of communication on these flights or inspections. In our area they happen with ZERO club consultation for what ever reason I am not sure. The clubs can provide input on problem or likely areas where these expensive flights will be put to good use and we can actually catch some these people instead of just talking about it.

Believe me, I dont like closures either (although that is another discussion), but the fact is, that at this time, a closure is a closure and any noncompliance will paint a black mark on our sport, while there are good people out there fighing on your behalf as others destroy our efforts. This small group of non-caring riders will bring on further closures. This will in turn, destroy the sport we all love and has huge potential to seriously harm the local economies of many small communities in BC that rely on winter tourism revenue.....

Last edited:

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The club has people that patrol, hard to get people to volunteer for anything, and when you do confront guys they want to shat kick ya for telling them!? You should see the hard time I get giving guys shat for NO backpacks!!! Really? Guys rip back into me! They try and say" oh I am only ridding the trail, or I am taking it easy?" Really? If guys do not get that you need a pack, they sure do not care about closed areas. Electric razor wire fence?

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where are the closures at sale, other than the ski areas to the south/east of the tower?
Is there maps for closures at sale?
I like sled skiing there and would like to avoid hastles

Sofa King much pow

Reaction score
Closed area south of tower.
Map is self explainitory.
I made map I carry on sled that just shows boundaries.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Roger
Just as I thought
Does the MOE fly overs ever produce pictures to the RSC of tracks

Sofa King much pow

Reaction score
Only in reports of non compliance.
That is used to close more area.
We keep letting non compliance happen and We lose more riding area.
Look what happened to Caribou Basin.
They will just shut down areas completly and soon we all ride boulder only.
We are our own worst enemy.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only in reports of non compliance.
That is used to close more area.
We keep letting non compliance happen and We lose more riding area.
Look what happened to Caribou Basin.
They will just shut down areas completly and soon we all ride boulder only.
We are our own worst enemy.

Thats right Sofa. The tree huggers are not closing area's.....we are, with our stupidity.

raven-lunatic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sure looked like to me that there was alot of shuttling going on along the ridge southeast of the tower at Sale on Saturday.
Little or no tracks to the right of the ridge south of tower, that sure made me think that the sled-skiers were mostly responsible for those non-compliance tracks.
Not saying they could have been done by sledders-----but!!!

rider1

Reaction score
Last year we were in frisby and there was some big drifts over the main trail that nobody went over yet. So people were dropping into the closed area to get around these drifts. While i was sitting there the rcmp showed up and i told them they better get there ticket book ready. They told me they were just out for the day to make appearance and not to write tickets. What a joke.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest at our Revelstoke directors meeting Monday night, if the club and society can voluntarily suggest that we'd like to have our own brothers and sisters in the sport hit hard in the pocket, like a $5000 fine and or there sled if they can't afford the fine if there caught in a closure area. Cause with all the patrols and signs, there still being ignored. With this effort it'll more than cover cost the flight time expense and fuel plus wages. And if it's a rental with a foreigner, there punted out of the country now. my meagre 2 cents and i'm tired of 10 -20 percenters wrecking it for everyone else.

braapin

Reaction score
Are you even a snowmobiler? That doesn't make any sense to me? Why would you want to increase fines for some boundaries and closures that are BS anyways. It is not just sledders that go into closed areas that ruin it for the rest of us, it is the government and the greenies that will find whatever reason to keep expanding the area that the public is locked out of. In my opinion, it is going to get to a point where they will close down so much, everyone is just going to have to say screw the closures and ride it like its our land, because it is.

Top Bottom