career choices!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EDIT: IT is a huge area with countless ways to specialize. Software development is probably the most challenging area and possibly the most stressful too. The one thing common to all areas of IT is that you get to help people. ..but don't expect them to be thankful for your help very often. Any area of IT might interest you and you'll probably enjoy it if you like learning new things. However, if you're not sure that you like to write code, stay away from software development until you ARE sure.

Last edited:

tipper

Reaction score
Did you figure anything out bopper? I don't think you would be able to get on at any local mines around kamloops. There was more layoffs the other day at the Afton mine because of construction completion.
I have been trying to get on at highland valley for a long time so have alot of friends with no luck.

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a trade...then if you want try something else...if it dosnt work out you still have trade to fall back on...best advise my gradmother ever gave me...good trades men will always be in demand....masonry contractor 27 years

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a trade...then if you want try something else...if it dosnt work out you still have trade to fall back on...best advise my gradmother ever gave me...good trades men will always be in demand....masonry contractor 27 years

Couldn't agree more, my dad gave me the same advice... He's been in hvac 36 years and never been a day without a job.

Sent from my iPhone using

tipper

Reaction score
Hard to get into a company that will hire you on starting as a first year apprentice (in bc anyway)
Anyone want to hire me lol? Time to move away from equipment and trucking!

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Investing time to do a premployment course is best way to go..99% of the time you will leave school with job in hand..l didn't start till l was 26..had my journeymans ticket 4 years later..have never looked back....

Dynamic

Reaction score
If you are willing to wait a few years the forestry industry can be a easy and cost effective way to get a trade, though generally limited to millwright, electrician, or hd tech. I started at the mill at 19, worked 4 years in production and then put my name in for an apprentice position. Now 27 and got my jman ticket this year.

I never paid for school, got paid my regular wage while in school and wouldn't do it any other way. I found that forestry companies generally will fully pay for your school while otherwise it was very hit and miss.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a trade lol but going to do HD mechanics so I can actually work a full 12 months a year.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend any trade that will allow you to go from construction to service trade. Refrigeration Techs make very good money and are recession proof. Get into an outfit that services grocery stores (we need to buy food, even during hard times). Service plumbers can work on just about piece of gas fired equipment or plumbing. When sewage is rolling in your basement or your house is freezing you will call. A couple my choices.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My job gets busier during recession! Beat that.

But some days I wish I would have gone and pursued being an electrician, pipe fitter etc. trades are where it's at I think.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys have no imagination. Become a sled guide and live the life!

tipper

Reaction score
I have a trade lol but going to do HD mechanics so I can actually work a full 12 months a year.

What trade do you have that doesn't allow you to work 12 months a year John?

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What trade do you have that doesn't allow you to work 12 months a year John?

Oh I do masonry I'm a bricklayer but this year I've been running machines. Building retaining walls.

tipper

Reaction score
Oh I do masonry I'm a bricklayer but this year I've been running machines. Building retaining walls.

I'm thinking of getting into heavy duty mechanics as well. Wish I would have done it when I was younger just out of high school but who listens to the wise old ones when you are that young?!

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im in the drywall trade, i know all about the name drywall workers have but it can pay very well.here in vernon bc were making 25-50 per hour. my buddy in edmonton is making $80-$120 per hour alone and has four guys working for him now so he will be over the $120.00 he is usually bringing home 12-20 grand a month, there is no schooling for this trade. tools will be cheaper then heavy duty mech.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im in the drywall trade, i know all about the name drywall workers have but it can pay very well.here in vernon bc were making 25-50 per hour. my buddy in edmonton is making $80-$120 per hour alone and has four guys working for him now so he will be over the $120.00 he is usually bringing home 12-20 grand a month, there is no schooling for this trade. tools will be cheaper then heavy duty mech.

Wow can you make that much I was thinking of giving it a go this winter. And maybe continuing until I go to school.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

I'm. General contractor in Edm and just wondering who is paying 120$/hr for a drywaller?? I know some tapers who do very well but usually boarding is on a sq/ft rate for us and even on contract work I don't know a single boarder making that kind of money putting up drywall.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on your time commitment to education...
Process piping designer can be great career and the money is pretty good. SAIT will be starting up their program specifically for piping design again. I went to SAIT and graduated from this one year program. If it wasn't for the opportunity to move into Marketing as a graphic a artist, I'd still be a piping designer. Full time designers make good money but contract guys can make great money. One word of caution, every one of my friends in piping either has grey hair or no hair. :) There's some stress once you get into the lead roles and as with everything else, some people are good at what they do (and make money), others are just ok.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just look to our American friends for the answer. We will be in there position soon. Everyone there is over educated and cant find a job. Dont waste your money, unless you can recoup it fast. If it will take years of education and years to pay it back it will never pan out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG, Everyone in America is "overeducated" Hahahahahaha. Stop it....no really stop it! My sides frickin hurt!!

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can offer is:

I get paid less than most on here, I don't have the fancy toys or homes most have, I am gone away from home as much or more than most on here, but the heaviest thing I lift is my suitcase. So my advice is if you are going to get into sales, be better at it than I am.

If I knew then what I know now, I would probably have become a tax lawyer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom