The future ?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better drive down to those projects and show them your napkin math so they can stop before it's too late.
The math is quite simple , 320 turbines , 1 arm per truck , 3 arms per turbine , 1 truck per section , 3 sections per turbine 3 pilots per truck .
Too hard ?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite well, considering they don't burn coal, natural gas or oil for the next 25 years while they generate electricity.

View attachment 262020
But they do ! Except for the 13-16000 litres of oil per turbine per year for oil and fluid changes , the who knows how much fuel for the choppers to keep ice off , fuel for the maintenance and repair vehicles etc. 13000 gallons per turbine per year is 320000 gallons , x 25 is roughly 8 million gallons , each !!! Those are the minimal estimates .
Is my math wrong ?
How much power could 8 million gallons of fuel produce ? Multiply that by the number of turbines being built !!!!
I'm not trying to dramatize this , just was looking at these numbers and can't really get my head around using this many gallons of fossil fuels to build something with a finite life span , plus no way to deal with the expired components to replace using fossil fuels in making power !!!
Tough to see .

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The math is quite simple , 320 turbines , 1 arm per truck , 3 arms per turbine , 1 truck per section , 3 sections per turbine 3 pilots per truck .
Too hard ?
Do you think that someone ordered 320 turbines and then forgot to check if they were going to make any money?
Also, 16,000L of oil per year LMFAO. Might as well just run a pipeline to every wind farm if you believe that.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think that someone ordered 320 turbines and then forgot to check if they were going to make any money?
Also, 16,000L of oil per year LMFAO. Might as well just run a pipeline to every wind farm if you believe that.
Well judging by the number of wind farms world wide that are shut down , torn down , or running at a huge deficit , then the answer to the first part of your question is yes . Do you think the failed ones planned to fail ? Which Part of this scenario are you questioning , I’m just stating what the contractors and tradespeople I know in that industry , and google are saying . Not arguing , but certainly have a healthy amount of skepticism .
And back to the comment regarding Incentives and subsidies, is it possible that some of the money wasn’t actually injected by the builder/power company , but from government programs , and if those programs didn’t exist , would many of the players be hesitant to risk their own dollars ? (Read tax payer).
And if It takes 700 gallons of oil/hydraulic fluid that needs to be changed every 9-16 months , for 25 years , are you disputing that’s not true or the math ?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Apparently there's a windfarm in Germany that's getting torn down to get at the coal underneath it.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm still amazed how the elites and their media have bluffed most of us into believing that carbon dioxide is bad. While they produce a hundred times more carbon emissions than the average Joe, and most own ocean front property. They obviously don't believe their own lies.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I'm still amazed how the elites and their media have bluffed most of us into believing that carbon dioxide is bad. While they produce a hundred times more carbon emissions than the average Joe, and most own ocean front property. They obviously don't believe their own lies.
A Billionaire Is Responsible For A Million Times More Emissions Than The Average Person: Oxfam Report

The investments of 125 of the world’s richest billionaires yield an annual average of three million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions a year, more than a million times the average for someone in the bottom 90% of humanity, according to a new report by the non-profit group Oxfam.

The super-rich have a collective $2.4 trillion stake in 183 companies and cumulatively, these 125 billionaires fund 393 million tonnes of CO2e (carbon dioxide equivalent) per year, which is equal to the annual carbon emissions of France, a nation of 67 million people.

: Just FYI for anyone that believes “climate change” and CO2 is a danger to our planet. CO2 is air for all plants on earth by the way

🔗 ARTICLE

SHARE ~>
➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
🇨🇦RCN | t.me/RealCanadianNews Ⓡ
➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to confirm the actual amount of oil and hydraulic fluid in a modern wind turbine , seem to be getting varying reports. As usual , seems to depend on the agenda of the one you’re asking .

Certainly no question as to the number of heavy trucks that were used , plus no question about the number of pilot vehicles . Getting a firm answer as to the maintenance cost and Oil product usage long term seems to be tougher .
Also huge discrepancies in opinion as to the life expectation of the turbines , the weak link seems to be gearbox mechanisms , which have been a challenge since the early ones and still is .

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy who works in pincher creek doing maintenance says the gearbox takes 300L. As far as interval they sample the oil and test it so could be pretty variable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy who works in pincher creek doing maintenance says the gearbox takes 300L. As far as interval they sample the oil and test it so could be pretty variable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hindsight …… I probably shouldn’t have talked about the volume of fluids in each of the turbines or the frequency of changing them as there Seems to be a lot of discrepancies or misleading info as to that .
For 2 days driving we saw steady Stream of heavy trucks with 3 pilots each carrying the arms and the portions of towers , that’s what got us thinking and looking into this in the first place . The number of vehicles is shocking and easy to verify , the rest of my thoughts , maybe accurate maybe not, but certainly going to be a lot of fossil fuel products to keep these things operating and in good repair , for 20-25 years, plus dependency on constant wind to make ‘em go . I’m in no way anti alternative energy , but reality that no one talks about , every one of these they build is starting in a huge deficit position when it comes to eliminating fossil fuel use , but no one factors That in to the saving the planet narrative. Also true that many of the current wind farms are failing ,with lots of dependant users switching back to conventional fuel , some in fact being dismantled , again creating god knows how much of the emissions they were designed to eliminate. But getting a straight answer to the net result in eliminating emissions , good luck , but there is obviously many challenges yet to be met.
Another thing not discussed is the impact on the land in construction , and future impact on animals and birds, how can it possibly not be negative .
I think let them be built , by energy providers , not Taxpayer dollars, and if they are viable , great , if no one steps up , there’s likely a good reason .

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked at this in more depth. Found out there are lots of different lubricants needed. Also main gear box oil amount needed can be anywhere from 200 -14000 litres.
New oil warranty is 10 years minimum lifetime but initially the oil used only lasted a year or two. I'm still not convinced windmills are the way to go for electricity generation. I would much sooner see the small nuclear powerplants. I'm not saying I want one in my backyard though.:cautious:
Energy Factor Europe

Attachments

• exxon_2021_04_lubricants-wind-turbines-1400x1148.png
    exxon_2021_04_lubricants-wind-turbines-1400x1148.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
Top Bottom