Canada Post Strike - 2018

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I guess truedope is giving a speach in calgary to oil drillers etc and there is a very large protest outside the facility he's speaking in. 200 postal workers have also joined in on the protest... Apparently several thousand are there. Just heard is a bit ago on 630 ched

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess truedope is giving a speach in calgary to oil drillers etc and there is a very large protest outside the facility he's speaking in. 200 postal workers have also joined in on the protest... Apparently several thousand are there. Just heard is a bit ago on 630 ched

Did he dress up in coveralls and a hard hat?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just to clarify my location did not get closed down due to double time overtime.If that was the case then all the locations in BC would have been shut down. It got shut down due to a few reason including using a call center and online ordering.
IE more cost effective methods. Of course double OT wasn't the sole reason but personnel costs are generally one of the highest expenses in a business so any opportunity to reduce them is looked on favourably. Canada Post is no different, revenues are down but workers want more $.

Home delivery should have been done away with, it only makes sense in the current reality of letter delivery and a country as spread out as Canada is. Most people are already going to community mail boxes or to a depot to get parcels anyway.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
years ago a saw mill work kills a family while turning into the yard of his employment. He was drunk and killed the family. employer fires him for coming to work yet again drunk (3rd time they knew about). Union fights to get his job back because basically his shift hadn't begun yet. Granted he had bigger problems than losing his job by impaired driving and killing the family but my question is what kind of a union would protect such an individual and fight for his job. sad!

The union has no choice. By labour law, It has to represent the worker until the first step in the grievance process. Once that step has been completed the union, based on legal advice, then determines if the process continues. It’s a provincial law, not a union rule. If the union refused to represent him, he can file what’s called a duty of fair representation claim against the union. If the labour board rules in his favour, the union has to pay for all his legal costs.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I found it interesting when I read his itinerary; Calgary Chamber of Commerce, an affordable housing tour, speaking with oil and gas leaders, meeting with Mayor Nenshi, and then the all important aspect of finishing with an appearance at a women's hockey festival.

No mention of talking to Nothead nor anybody from the Alberta Government. That no good prick needs to be booted sooner than later.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow.... you really don't have a clue how a union works.....the wages that get negotiated are for all the workers.... the good ones wages don't supplement the bad ones....everyone gets paid the same for the same jobs....and unions in Canada have to be non profit organizations.... they aren't allowed to make money or show a profit.... they invest their money just like any other fiscally responsible organization would to protect their capital.
The numbers of union executives as a percentage of the union membership is typically very small, and their wages are voted on by their membership.... totally transparent to their respective memberships and any "bonuses" have to be approved by the membership as well....compare what the posties union boss gets paid compared to a company with the same number of workers in the private sector..... probably hundreds of thousands compared to tens of millions, stock options and a huge golden parachute.... and the union boss can be voted out by the membership whereas the CEO of a big Corporation doesn't have to worry what the workers think, he'll always be taken care of.
You obviously hate the unions, which is your right, but educate yourself before you post.

Wow , back at ya. The good ones wages don't supplement the bad ones, but everyone gets paid the same , yep that makes sense ! LOL. Defending entitled parasites who have somehow gained seniority or tenure, that's what unions excel at. And by that first comment alone it seems you could stand an education refresh yourself.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did not know that but in my simplistic mind once you have committed a crime of that nature your rights should be thrown out the window but thats for another thread. Tks

The union has no choice. By labour law, It has to represent the worker until the first step in the grievance process. Once that step has been completed the union, based on legal advice, then determines if the process continues. It’s a provincial law, not a union rule. If the union refused to represent him, he can file what’s called a duty of fair representation claim against the union. If the labour board rules in his favour, the union has to pay for all his legal costs.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did not know that but in my simplistic mind once you have committed a crime of that nature your rights should be thrown out the window but thats for another thread. Tks

Agreed. The biggest downside of unions is seniority without merit. Nobody likes working with lazy incompetent people and unfortunately they usually get protected in a union environment. It doesn’t mean that everyone in the union is the same, there’s lots of people in union that work as hard as people in the private sector.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow , back at ya. The good ones wages don't supplement the bad ones, but everyone gets paid the same , yep that makes sense ! LOL. Defending entitled parasites who have somehow gained seniority or tenure, that's what unions excel at. And by that first comment alone it seems you could stand an education refresh yourself.

Like I said, it’s obvious you hate unions and everyone that’s in one. I speak from knowledge and the experience of being on a union executive. You speak from animus and uninformed hatred. Maybe some jealousy as well.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow.... you really don't have a clue how a union works.....the wages that get negotiated are for all the workers.... the good ones wages don't supplement the bad ones....everyone gets paid the same for the same jobs....and unions in Canada have to be non profit organizations.... they aren't allowed to make money or show a profit.... they invest their money just like any other fiscally responsible organization would to protect their capital.
The numbers of union executives as a percentage of the union membership is typically very small, and their wages are voted on by their membership.... totally transparent to their respective memberships and any "bonuses" have to be approved by the membership as well....compare what the posties union boss gets paid compared to a company with the same number of workers in the private sector..... probably hundreds of thousands compared to tens of millions, stock options and a huge golden parachute.... and the union boss can be voted out by the membership whereas the CEO of a big Corporation doesn't have to worry what the workers think, he'll always be taken care of.
You obviously hate the unions, which is your right, but educate yourself before you post.

They aren’t allowed to make money or show profit...totally transparency, bonuses have to be approved by the membership.....kinda like our current government right.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They aren’t allowed to make money or show profit...totally transparency, bonuses have to be approved by the membership.....kinda like our current government right.

Do you really not understand the difference between a union and an elected federal government????

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yep was there, to do my part

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I know is that our shop is right beside a post office...rather convenient when there isn’t a strike posse out front and vehicles blocking our driveway, enough room for cars etc but we had to park the low beds down the road instead of in our yard...slightly irritating

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said, it’s obvious you hate unions and everyone that’s in one. I speak from knowledge and the experience of being on a union executive. You speak from animus and uninformed hatred. Maybe some jealousy as well.

What I dislike is a system that rewards or defends the lazy and entitled , even after its clear to all who they are, by putting them on the same level as the workers with good work ethics , ambition , pride in their work, and a feeling of responsibility to the employer. Jealousy , hardly , had my experience with a union at a young age, realized it wasn't for me. But , now that you've stated you were a union executive, clears up a lot , I actually should have guessed that.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shop at your local stores so you don't make them shut their doors and save lots money no online shopping. Pockets will be full of money thanks Canada post.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of you have nothing to worry about, untill it disrupts your package or dope. Only reason you hate this, well what about all the other unions that strike, that's ok because it has no direct contact with you. All you that have issues with it research the whole truth not just what you see on the news. Yes true letters are down 30% but parcels are up 200%. So who the hell do you think deliver them. Most of you make more then them and just sit on your ass.....ya Canada post tells half a storey....does anyone out there know why it seems to come up every couple yrs at this time. Let's see if the complainers even know, 🖕

I fully support a unions right to strike, and I've been on strike. The difference I see is that the posties are disrupting the lives of people not involved in their dispute, ie: the public. When we were on strike we were only allowed to disrupt our employer. In fact we were ordered to move our picket line so the public was not affected. It's very difficult for a postal union to strike and not effect the lives of......everyone in the country. That's why they're generally considered an essential service, and should be.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wish all Unions had that mentality instead of causing hundreds of thousand of dollars in losses against innocent small companies caught into their grievance with their employer.

I fully support a unions right to strike, and I've been on strike. The difference I see is that the posties are disrupting the lives of people not involved in their dispute, ie: the public. When we were on strike we were only allowed to disrupt our employer. In fact we were ordered to move our picket line so the public was not affected. It's very difficult for a postal union to strike and not effect the lives of......everyone in the country. That's why they're generally considered an essential service, and should be.

Top Bottom