Building A MX Track

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I purchased an acreage last fall and I plan to build a little track with a few jumps, for personal use. I am looking for ideas and layouts that people may have. The track will be built on flat ground. I had 7 truck and pup loads of dirt hauld in and will probaly be scraping the ground a bunch to get enough dirt to make a few jumps. If anyone has picturs or Ideas please dont hesitate to share. I may even dig a lil pit for 4x4in' with the RZR.

ghglenn

Reaction score
I would do this for any track I built. Draw it on paper. (Rhythm sections are fun, a turn before and/or after can make a small jump much more technical. If at all possible, hog much of the dirt from a central area, making a true dugout....Trash pump and a hose makes a great way to water the track). Then, buy a big bag of lime, a large Tim's coffee cup and make a chalk layout of the entire track. Include stakes for jump take-off to landing.....Ride your quad like you are racing it around, see how it flows now. If it has a good rhythm start digging. Try to not dig holes that will fill with water...Instead take dirt from the inside of where you are wanting corners/berms so that if it rains, it doesn't make a mud hole, but runs down the berm into a "dugout". Also, take dirt for jumps from areas to make drainage, don't dig the straightaways for dirt =more low spots for puddles. In reality, straights should be higher than the natural terrain, but it just takes more work.... If you need more suggestions, just let me know. I had a large MX facility in Arizona for 8 yrs, lots of trial and error, lol.

Also, invite me to come ride it when it is done.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
That's some very good tips. I would like to build a track myself as well. How much area would one recommend to build a decent track? The place on my acreage I'm thinking of building is about an acre. Kinda small in my mind. Never get out of second gear. Unless I start clearing trees and make the track partially in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good advice. Thanks. Post pics if you have any or drawings if you have them.

Top Bottom