BruteFroce 750 or Can Am 650

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive seen a few can ams break up control arms and one guy i ride with lost his motor on his 800 with 600km. reliability is not a problem with the brute if you treat it good it will be good to you and for the big bores amr and fundy are very reliable the brute motor is bullet proof as long as u dont swamp it. its a hit or miss for any motor when it goes under. my brute has 2800 km all with 30 inch mudlites and 29.5 outlaws and have had no problems

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive seen a few can ams break up control arms and one guy i ride with lost his motor on his 800 with 600km. reliability is not a problem with the brute if you treat it good it will be good to you and for the big bores amr and fundy are very reliable the brute motor is bullet proof as long as u dont swamp it. its a hit or miss for any motor when it goes under. my brute has 2800 km all with 30 inch mudlites and 29.5 outlaws and have had no problems

hey is ur plastic orange? i seen the general lee brute an omg love the plastic

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the diff lock hard to get the hang of it when u are going threw deep mud because i knows the cam am u just got to hit the button and the brute there is levers right..

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brute has a lever, correct. The Can Am has no button for diff lock...just 2 and 4 wheel drive. The diff lock is called a "Visco Lock" and it works when one wheel spins, it locks the other one. This system works great in mud, but has it's limitations for the rock crawler guys.

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say the Brute....or any Japanese quad (yami,suzuki), will have better longevity but the can-am will have a lot more power. And they ride good. Just not impressed with BRP's reliability....sleds or quads. Quite a price difference between the two as well....at least in the states.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had both, loved the Kawi 750 but sorry it just lacks compared to the Can-Am.
The Kawi's diff lock was very problematic for me mostly just did not work even with proper setting at the dealer, less power, less warranty,and then there's the problem of the tie rods bending (bring tools to fix that if you buy one).
Burning belts up mostly in reverse (pulling) can also be a problem with Kawi.
All that being said it is a good fun machine, and i found the dealer here very good.
If you want a real diff lock that works get a Yamaha or Suzuki etc. that locks up good.
You will pay more for the Can-Am but they seem to be worth it, Sorry Tex.....

bcham5

Reaction score
I have had both and I am telling you from my experiences, my 08 brute 750 I had a total of 7000kms on it from April 08 to November 08 and the major problems I had were the wiring harness to the fuel pump had melted from the exhaust and the parts took a month and a half to get in, and the rear diff let go and kawi didn't warranty (2k later), minor things that I didn't like were the shocks sacked out fast, it ate tie rods and rear output seals and belts, all in all I was satisfied with the quad for what I did to it,

My 08 outlander 650xt I had a total of 14000kms on it from November 08 to may of 2010 , the major problems I had with it were rear prop shaft, rad had swelled up and the winch failed and left me walking 5km out of the bush,and I broke the rear right cv joint(mistake of lifting it) and I bent the lower control arm the minor things I didn't like about the outty were the shocks sacked out really fast,winch use kills the battery,4x4 kickback , head covers leak , and the cvt exhaust

All in all I enjoyed the outlander more because it was more reliable, and it's the main reason why I got a 2010 650xt again(5000kms) and the fact that can-am has the 3 year warranty I really like :d.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is like asking whether to get muscle car or a sports car. The comfort, handling and stock ride of the outlander are awesome, but the potential of the brute force V-twin is incredible. And 840 kit and a set of tires and you are still under th price of a bone stock cam-am. Any review of the brute force the person will say how much the bottom end took them by surprise.

My opinion? If your willing to spend the time, money and do your research, Brute force
If you want a out of the box quad ready for some trails(don't want to break a frame haha) and lots of road go can-am

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say can am is the only way to go here. I ride a 800 outlander and have 5 buddies with brute forces that they have all have had nothing but problems with. It seems the pre fuel injected ones run a little better less wiring issues. But they have all had problems with front diffs, tie rods, belt and clutch issues that leave them all being towed out by my outlander. When the brutes are running good they do go like crazy and are fun as hell to ride. Not one of my pals would buy snotgher one when their ready for a new one.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is like asking whether to get muscle car or a sports car. The comfort, handling and stock ride of the outlander are awesome, but the potential of the brute force V-twin is incredible. And 840 kit and a set of tires and you are still under th price of a bone stock cam-am. Any review of the brute force the person will say how much the bottom end took them by surprise.

My opinion? If your willing to spend the time, money and do your research, Brute force
If you want a out of the box quad ready for some trails(don't want to break a frame haha) and lots of road go can-am
You can modify any quad....

Last edited:

KawiKrys

Reaction score
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 750 Brute. It does take a bit of work to steer with the diff locked but it is possible. The front end pops pretty easily too. :p

I think youre asking the equivalent of 'Should I buy a Chev or a Dodge..' (ps, the answer is Chev-ALWAYS! ;)) Its good to gather some advice and see what could go wrong. But everyone rides their machine differently, and takes care of it differently, then no matter the brand theres a chance for lemons to exist. Take in the advice but ask around and see if you can find one of each to test drive. Good luck in your pursuit of the best mud machine!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had both, loved the Kawi 750 but sorry it just lacks compared to the Can-Am.
The Kawi's diff lock was very problematic for me mostly just did not work even with proper setting at the dealer, less power, less warranty,and then there's the problem of the tie rods bending (bring tools to fix that if you buy one).
Burning belts up mostly in reverse (pulling) can also be a problem with Kawi.
All that being said it is a good fun machine, and i found the dealer here very good.
If you want a real diff lock that works get a Yamaha or Suzuki etc. that locks up good.
You will pay more for the Can-Am but they seem to be worth it, Sorry Tex.....

he was looking at the 650 also hey............ and well for me the extra cash for a can slam isn't worth it... i could buy 2 of mine [ well 2 used ones for the price i bought mine with 1200 km ] and break one and ride the other or put 1/2 the miles on each....

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then you have two pieces of broke down garbage to trade off on a can am. Your learning Tex I can see you on a can am soon enough

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what i was trin to say was that for the # u could have a trail ridin brute 750 and an all out muddin brute......

2 for the price of one....

my next buy is another brute. so i have 2....

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a ride on my buddy cam am 650 with 28 or 30 mudzilla and all i can say is wow that thing is pretty sick just with a set of good mudders on there i like the power steering too nice and easy to turn in the mud, might be going out with my nabor for a ride and he owns a 750 brute so i well get the try the brute after all....

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what i was trin to say was that for the # u could have a trail ridin brute 750 and an all out muddin brute......

2 for the price of one....

my next buy is another brute. so i have 2....

That's just silly. Might as well buy one good quad to pull the brute home.

Crow22

Reaction score
I have a 07 650i with 3000km's on it. No trouble with it at all except the tires are now wore out,rims are bent from hitting rocks. Pulled my buddies poopo out of the woods a few times. Also a cat a couple times. No body we ride with has a Can Am so I don't know about them. Look good to me but all the electronics on the new ones look like trouble diving them in the mud constantly.
Can't say that all Kawis are good as I have had my tyrex apart more time than any other bike I ever owned. Still lots of fun. Crow

Top Bottom