broken axles.

BIG_BRUTE750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there i have a buddy with a 07 brute and broke both his back axles and i was wondering how a guy would go about geting them out. there broke on both the inside. :beer:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Here is how I did my grizzly yourR bike shouldn't be to far off....

Well since one of my CV joints went south the whole axle had to be replaced it is pretty simple I would imagine most brand would be almost the same

Here is all you need for tools 14MM 17MM 24MM flats wrenches or sockets and a pair of needle nose plyers

100_2031.jpg

Good jack or something to prop it up on is handy, good time to check wheel bearing to see if they are good. Grab top and bottom of wheel and move in and out to see how much play in it

100_2032.jpg

Jack it up, remove the wheel 17MM socket

100_2034.jpg

100_2035.jpg

Remove centercap and cotter pin on castle nut removed castle nut with 24MM wrench watch out it is on very tight I need a 4' snipe to get it off, watch for the O-ring behind it

100_2036.jpg

Take out the spindle boltsX2 17MM nut 14MM bolt

100_2038.jpg

These 2 parts you don't have to do but I did it to give me more room

Loosen top A-arm bolts swimg arm out of the way 17MM nut 14MM bolt
100_2039.jpg

Take off bottom shock bolt, and loosen top shock bolt 17MM nut 14MM bolt and swing out of the way

100_2040.jpg

100_2041.jpg

With a swift pull or 3 in my case it pops out, on the 3rd pop it came out and I almost fell off the stool and my finger slipped off the record button

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
100_2043.jpg

Plug the hole, and check seal if leaking good time to change

100_2046.jpg

The old and new

100_2044.jpg

Transfer the spindle and hub to the new one, or do it later like I did. They just slip on and off. Good time to change wheel bearings if need be.

100_2045.jpg

Make sure you put the spindle on correctly...unless your doing an spindle flip

100_2049.jpg

To put it back in try to center the C-clip on the axle with a little gear oil so it doesn't hang lower than the teeth put it in the house and just shove it in

100_2048.jpg

And now just everything in reverse order, and make sure to top the the rear end of any lost gear oil

This takes about 10-15min to change 20-25min with pictures :D

If you hear about Grizzly axle walking out this it the little culprit, just rebend and put the axle back in

100_2054.jpg

All this was done on an 02 Grizzly the 03-07 are a little different but the same concept

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Umm now that I re-read your post the axles were broken off be kinda tough to grab I think Crappy Tire lends out slide hammers try them you can also jerry rig a slide nail puller to work in a bind

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice post Murminator! FYI: the clip that holds the cv in the rear diff., is now separately available from Yamaha.

Usually when the inner CV blows up a slide hammer is the easiest.

Set the slide hammer for internal use; Ie: jaws facing out. Hook the jaws where the internal snap ring groove is machined. Slide the weight back and it should pop the cv out.

When you see a slide hammer, you will understand the above instructions. One word of caution: Make sure your other hand/fingers are clear of the weight stop before you slam the weight back! You cannot imagine how much one finger can bleed until it gets pinch between the weight and the stop.:eek:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be able to get a vise grip snapped onto the cv and then a swift swing with a hammer onto the vise grips. However, this sounds like a recipe for skinned knuckles.:eek:

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya Murminator...did the axles in my 08 Brute & you pretty much nailed it to a T !! I think if the axles are sheared right off, you might want to pull diff and split it to save any further damage to internals. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect the inside housing....sheared axles could lead to unforseen problems down the road, which may lead to being stranded!!...:twocents:

:d:beer::beer::d
CHEERS!!!.....:cool:

Top Bottom