Britain sets deadline to ban diesel, gas cars

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the hydrogen movement

Hydrogen is made predominantly from natural gas or electricity, if made from natural gas its just more cost effective to burn natural gas, and the high energy costs associated with electricity make it cost prohibitive as well. Not to mention the latest generation of lithium ion batteries far exceed the round trip efficiency compared to using hydrogen for electricity storage.

Not to mention hydrogen fuel cells are incredibly expensive per unit of energy produced when compared to internal combustion engines, whether it be traditional reciprocating engines or gas turbines.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hydrogen is made predominantly from natural gas or electricity, if made from natural gas its just more cost effective to burn natural gas, and the high energy costs associated with electricity make it cost prohibitive as well. Not to mention the latest generation of lithium ion batteries far exceed the round trip efficiency compared to using hydrogen for electricity storage.

Not to mention hydrogen fuel cells are incredibly expensive per unit of energy produced when compared to internal combustion engines, whether it be traditional reciprocating engines or gas turbines.

Umm, I understand the expensive part but I'm pretty sure hydrogen is made from water

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly my point, why couldn't we have electric trains here too?

Or even in the short term LNG powered trains, pull a car or 2 of LNG, reduce emissions, cut fuel costs in half.

There are NG powered trains and trucks but the power of the engine is greatly reduced.

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
40 years ago they invented a carburetor/engine that could go 60 miles per gallon , just not cost effective for "them", 35 years ago there was a U of A student whom invented a battery that runs on sugar, still remember the big write up in "the Edmonton Sun" sold out to keep his mouth shut by the battery manufacturers, 20 years ago they invented a Hydrogen vehicle in Calgary, ...... and then things went real quiet !

we would not have had to worry about all these climate change issues now if it wasn't for a hand full of assholes with control/power and their plain greed, just ask Trump, climate change is a hoax,... and he don't give you fake news either !!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Umm, I understand the expensive part but I'm pretty sure hydrogen is made from water
Yes it can be, using electricity to split it through electrolysis, but it uses a lot of energy being why it's so expensive. Or you can produce it from methane (natural gas) CH4 by splitting off the 4 hydrogen atoms from the carbon, but again more cost effective to use it as natural gas.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
40 years ago they invented a carburetor/engine that could go 60 miles per gallon , just not cost effective for "them", 35 years ago there was a U of A student whom invented a battery that runs on sugar, still remember the big write up in "the Edmonton Sun" sold out to keep his mouth shut by the battery manufacturers, 20 years ago they invented a Hydrogen vehicle in Calgary, ...... and then things went real quiet !

we would not have had to worry about all these climate change issues now if it wasn't for a hand full of assholes with control/power and their plain greed, just ask Trump, climate change is a hoax,... and he don't give you fake news either !!
They may have claimed 60mpg but basic thermodynamics prove it's not possible. 40% efficeincy is about the very best an internal combustion engine will manage. Thousands of engineers have been trying to beat that number for over a hundred years and have rarely succeeded in even modest gains.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
60mpg is very achievable. Just not in a dually lifted diesel...lol

3. 1986 Chevrolet Sprint ER
Combined MPG: 48
City MPG: 44
Highway MPG: 53
Cylinders: 3
Engine Size in Liters: 1
Transmission: Manual
Similar Models: 1985, 1987-1988
This lightweight Chevrolet was a Sprint with additional features, such as a light indicating the ideal time to shift.
Photo by GENERAL MOTORS

87ChevSprint-ERB4609-R270-1.jpg

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And to get those windmills turning you can climb up on the roof bend over and blow some hot air out, oh wait I got that saying wrong it is blow smoke up there.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And to get those windmills turning you can climb up on the roof bend over and blow some hot air out, oh wait I got that saying wrong it is blow smoke up there.

Geez I wonder how people live off the grid..... many do it

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geez I wonder how people live off the grid..... many do it
Most are not living the same standards we who post on this site are living. Cabins are one thing, probably heated by wood (OMG, *WOOD*? Cutting trees? the HORROR) and not a lot of TVs, stereos, air conditioners, internet access, electric garage openers, Keurigs left plugged in all the time, etc. But having a modern house off the grid...very expensive and not very common. All the ones I've seen (and heard of) run generators A LOT in the cold months....and they are not ran on unicorn farts.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most are not living the same standards we who post on this site are living. Cabins are one thing, probably heated by wood (OMG, *WOOD*? Cutting trees? the HORROR) and not a lot of TVs, stereos, air conditioners, internet access, electric garage openers, Keurigs left plugged in all the time, etc. But having a modern house off the grid...very expensive and not very common. All the ones I've seen (and heard of) run generators A LOT in the cold months....and they are not ran on unicorn farts.
I have a good friend that has lived off grid for 20+ years, raised 2 kids out there and yes has a big screen TV. I think they have 8 or so solar panels, small wind turbine that looks about the size of a remote control airplane and yes of course a back up generator. Propane fridge and stove, yes wood heat and all LED lighting. Before LED really got good it was mostly propane lights but obviously had some standard bulbs. Runs a 300 acre farm out there. Both him and his wife have diesel trucks, instead of plugging them in they used pro-heat system. Said the biggest drain was when the kids were growing up and video games and computers started they would have to run the generator more in the winter but now the kids are gone says it hardly get used. You can get propane dryers, and bosh make a model of dishwasher specific for off grid living. Says last year bills were $650 for propane and $1200 for generator fuel. Keep in mind when you buy fuel for power generation its at a huge discount.

pretty sure this is the company he uses.

http://www.solarwyse.ca/

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a good friend that has lived off grid for 20+ years, raised 2 kids out there and yes has a big screen TV. I think they have 8 or so solar panels, small wind turbine that looks about the size of a remote control airplane and yes of course a back up generator. Propane fridge and stove, yes wood heat and all LED lighting. Before LED really got good it was mostly propane lights but obviously had some standard bulbs. Runs a 300 acre farm out there. Both him and his wife have diesel trucks, instead of plugging them in they used pro-heat system. Said the biggest drain was when the kids were growing up and video games and computers started they would have to run the generator more in the winter but now the kids are gone says it hardly get used. You can get propane dryers, and bosh make a model of dishwasher specific for off grid living. Says last year bills were $650 for propane and $1200 for generator fuel. Keep in mind when you buy fuel for power generation its at a huge discount.

pretty sure this is the company he uses.

http://www.solarwyse.ca/

Soooo...he paid 300 bucks less (on diesel) in the YEAR than I pay now for electricity (and I am a modern power-hog), and heated his house with wood instead of nat gas. I'm not seeing the incentive for what it costs to set up.

(I got my e bill yesterday...136 bucks for July. My AC has run nearly every day last month, 5 fridges, 1 freezer, elec stove, elec dryer....no hot tub, yet)

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooo...he paid 300 bucks less (on diesel) in the YEAR than I pay now for electricity (and I am a modern power-hog), and heated his house with wood instead of nat gas. I'm not seeing the incentive for what it costs to set up.

The savings comes in the $125,000 Hydro quoted to run the line to his house

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9]The savings comes in the $125,000 Hydro quoted to run the line to his house[/QUOTE]

It is free for some entitled persons.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
not sure that cn trains are electric yet, diesel electric yes.

Most of europe is heavily populated, so in urban areas where the ev shines it's not such a bad idea. European cars and even transport trucks are typically much smaller then ours. It is my understanding and someone here might have more insight but most frieght in europe is moved by train or boat

we were just in Europe(Germany, Austria and the Netherlands/Holland) and i was amazed at howmany tractor trailers they have over there... There main hiway routes are almost bumper to bumper tractor trailers in the right lanes.... I was amazed!!! On the other hand they heavily use electric trains and barges on the rivers, including barges hauling oils, fuels, lpg, ng.... And the whole 3 weeks over there, only saw 2 pickup trucks--- a nissan titan and a ford ranger lightning... Thats it!!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were just in Europe(Germany, Austria and the Netherlands/Holland) and i was amazed at howmany tractor trailers they have over there... There main hiway routes are almost bumper to bumper tractor trailers in the right lanes.... I was amazed!!! On the other hand they heavily use electric trains and barges on the rivers, including barges hauling oils, fuels, lpg, ng.... And the whole 3 weeks over there, only saw 2 pickup trucks--- a nissan titan and a ford ranger lightning... Thats it!!

Saw the same a few years ago. Trains carry people and trucks carry goods.

Top Bottom