Bringing a modded sled to Canada from the US

Sasksrx

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking at buying a sled with an ekholm tunnel on it from the states, but I'm not sure if there will be a problem at Canada customs with bringing it over since the vin number is etched into the new tunnel and the original sscc label and vin number aren't on it. Has anyone had any experience with this? Would hate to go buy it and find out that I can't bring it over when I got to the border! Thanks.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't brought one over in a few years, but I think you will have a problem with an etched VIN and no manufacturers labels.

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did lots of reading on this and it seems like luck of the draw at the border, I brought one back with a CR tunnel with the vin number stamped on a piece of aluminum in the foot well. They never even went out to look at the sled. The sled had a turbo, no lights ... It was a very easy process

You'll find people that have had good and bad, my paper work was in order, and I never had an issue.

Biggest thing I found was don't try and bring a 10,000 dollar sled across and say it was only 1500 bucks .... That they will catch.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I bought a mod sled down in states with a vanamburg tunnel, the vin was put on a plate and riveted to the tunnel, border agency didnt like it, but all the paperwork was in order ready to go and actual values stated. You have to declare it for what it is, I had to bring my snopro 440 in as a total loss and for parts only to get it in. Now it can't be registered.

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a bit of a crap shoot, I brought a trailer and three sleds over a couple years ago, 1 was a mod with a VA tunnel, had a bit of an issue but all my paper work was in place and they let me go through. When I say all, I mean ALL, right down to every email conversation I had with the guy. All the negoiations, everything. That's the only part that saved me and the vin sticker was still on the foot well beside the chain case. If your planning on beinging one over I suggest you do the same as far as the paperwork is concerned. :beer:

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I imported a sled about 8 years ago. The process went pretty good. The sled was mainly stock. The guy went out with me to inspect the sled. It was missing the safety sticker (SSCC). He didn't like that and told me if I ever import another sled to make sure all the labels are still on it. It would be a bit of a gamble bringing back a sled with an aftermarket tunnel and not the original Vin label. Does he still have the original tunnel? If you could get that as well that might help.

While I was there, there was a guy trying to import a jap can car. It had a lowering kit on it and was quite noticeable as it was almost dragging on the ground. They would not let him bring it into Canada because he did not have any safety documentation or info of the lowering kit. He was mad as hell. I wonder what he ended up doing.

Im sure you have read all this. Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Modification and Inspection Requirements A phone call to RIV might be the best to ask questions.

clay923

Reaction score
I got a turbo nytro a few yrs ago and the origin sticker was worn off the stock tunnel so i needed to get one from the manufacturer (yamaha), just need all the paper work you can get and time. also i had to take it to canadian tire for an inspection of safety equipment lights (hi-low beam) and brakes. I personally didn't pick it up, had it shipped through a broker so there was a lot of paperwork. Good luck and talk to as many custom officers as you can they all will have a different story and go with the most consistent one, then hope the one at the border crossing is the most consistent.

Sasksrx

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I actually called RIV yesterday before I posted this thread and explained the situation to them. The guy I talked to said he couldn't give me and answer unless he actually saw the sled. But he said they want the sscc sticker on it. I asked him if it was even legal to take the one off the original tunnel and put it on the new one, he said it wasn't. Then he told me to email him some pictures of the sled with a close up of the vin scribed into the new tunnel. So I did that and now am waiting to see what their answer is. So even at that end everything seems pretty vague. From the sounds of it, it looks like it comes down to how the customs officer feels that day. Maybe I should try bringing it through on a friday afternoon! Lol.

I think I'll wait for RIV's answer and decide what to do from there. Hopefully they say ok and I can take a copy of that email with me through customs. If not maybe I should just forget about it and keep looking for a sled here in Canada. Thanks again guys!

zeke

Reaction score
I went down about 6yrs. ago and bought a custom sled that was built in BC. It had a vin # but not the 17 digit needed just the one the builder put on it. They got me in the interrogation room like I was smuggling guns. Called the guy I bought it from and my story checked out but they thought the value was off tho. The bottom line is it was a real gong show, had to leave it at Sweetwater and was able to take the motor and a few other parts with me. Got home and started working the phone. Finally got written permission from some customs guy in Ottawa and went down a month later and brought it back as parts. Put it back together and rode it the rest of the season then sold it. NEVER again!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I actually called RIV yesterday before I posted this thread and explained the situation to them. The guy I talked to said he couldn't give me and answer unless he actually saw the sled. But he said they want the sscc sticker on it. I asked him if it was even legal to take the one off the original tunnel and put it on the new one, he said it wasn't. Then he told me to email him some pictures of the sled with a close up of the vin scribed into the new tunnel. So I did that and now am waiting to see what their answer is. So even at that end everything seems pretty vague. From the sounds of it, it looks like it comes down to how the customs officer feels that day. Maybe I should try bringing it through on a friday afternoon! Lol.

I think I'll wait for RIV's answer and decide what to do from there. Hopefully they say ok and I can take a copy of that email with me through customs. If not maybe I should just forget about it and keep looking for a sled here in Canada. Thanks again guys!

After reading the import criteria at CBSA and the RIV stuff I personally would look here or at least for one in the US that has mfr vin and stickers. Just too much of a crapshoot by the sounds of it for the mod one.

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like everyone says there are as many good stories as bad but the consistent thing is to have all you paperwork in order to even have a shot, you also have to be prepared to either leave the sled at the border or spend exrta time in the US to line anything they need up. The sled I bought i got cheap enough i could have made money as parts but that was not my intenent.

Either way have fun!

Top Bottom