Break-In Secrets

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quoted the same article a while ago, not many read it.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I was told by a trustworthy mechanic years ago that you should ride an engine hard during break-in. Although the reason was also related to wear, it was a much different reason than stated in the article. If I remeber correctly, he said that the piston will travel slightly further under high RPM. If the engine doesn't make high RPM's during break in, the cylinder walls will not wear that extra little distance. Then, when you do rev it high AFTER break-in, the cylinder is travelling along an uneven cylinder wall.

Just curious if that makes any sense???

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I always load them full of oil, take it easy for the first tank, by easy I mean not holding it side open for more than 3ish seconds. So what if you rebuild and don't hone? Still same
Concept eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puddin

Reaction score
every sled ive owned i ran them hard and tight and never had a engine prob except for my pro it still a dog

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I was told by a trustworthy mechanic years ago that you should ride an engine hard during break-in. Although the reason was also related to wear, it was a much different reason than stated in the article. If I remeber correctly, he said that the piston will travel slightly further under high RPM. If the engine doesn't make high RPM's during break in, the cylinder walls will not wear that extra little distance. Then, when you do rev it high AFTER break-in, the cylinder is travelling along an uneven cylinder wall.

Just curious if that makes any sense???

That's not true. A piston won't travel any further at high rpm as it would low, or else that rod would be stretching and would stay stretched eventually hitting valves or the head.

Everyone has their own way of breaking it in and there really is no wrong way. So long as you use a mineral based oil (not synthetic) for the first bit to you'll have no issues. Synthetic oil will just take longer to initially break it in.

In my opinion, once that motor gets hot and then comes to a complete cool down a couple times the parts aren't going seat themselves any more after that. I ride my things hard for short periods for the first 2 rides, after that I ride it like I normally would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom