BLUE JEWEL / BLUE RIVER UPDATES and CONDITIONS

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$12-14,000 for a new sled....$2-3000 for clothing and Avy Gear...A few hundred for Fuel,Grub and accomodations for a weekend of riding not to mention repairs and insurance....and a few idiots to cheap to pay for memberships to any given area or trail fees...Priceless. Nobody rides for free If you don't want to support the sport so many of us enjoy Stay home and ride the ditches.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well unlike the heli skiers we are losing more and more of our public land so clearly the status quo isnt working.

Al "ley Cat"

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blue River Country Club ?? Me and the Brother inlaw went to blue river a couple of years back. stayed at the Glacier Mt Lodge . First time there tryed to get info on where the riding areas where .Person at the desk (male) said there was 1 spot north out of town just pass the river.Next went to the Holy Smoke asked there where the riding areas where,He said give me 50$$ a pc. and i will tour you. No mention of joining a club or anything else. Next morning went to the north of town spot there was a person takeing money for trail pass but adviced us not to because the trail was to bad. Went back into town and found the trail which started just south of the airport east side.Was nice riding .That afternoon got back to Glacier and talked to the person behind desk and asked where (cant remember his name) was, said he was snowmobileing.The feeling me and my brother inlaw got was that you people want to keep this private area for yourselfs + people who pay your demands of $$$ I may sound harsh but we havent been back ,and what ive been reading in this thread we wont be.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam not speaking for any of the people or businesses of blue river with my idea for member only riding, i think this should be implemented everywhere. Unlike a lot of others i have no interest in keeping these areas open other than an intense love of the backcountry.Ive been riding blue for ten years or so and long for the days when seeing two other trucks in the parking lot was a crowded day.

Shanerd

Reaction score
Blue River Country Club ?? Me and the Brother inlaw went to blue river a couple of years back. stayed at the Glacier Mt Lodge . First time there tryed to get info on where the riding areas where .Person at the desk (male) said there was 1 spot north out of town just pass the river.Next went to the Holy Smoke asked there where the riding areas where,He said give me 50$$ a pc. and i will tour you. No mention of joining a club or anything else. Next morning went to the north of town spot there was a person takeing money for trail pass but adviced us not to because the trail was to bad. Went back into town and found the trail which started just south of the airport east side.Was nice riding .That afternoon got back to Glacier and talked to the person behind desk and asked where (cant remember his name) was, said he was snowmobileing.The feeling me and my brother inlaw got was that you people want to keep this private area for yourselfs + people who pay your demands of $$$ I may sound harsh but we havent been back ,and what ive been reading in this thread we wont be.
Well...I pay Tony in Valemount to guide me, (not cheap but worth every penny), pay 15 bucks for a well groomed trail (still cheap, if we ride there) and love every second I'm there.

Never had the pleasure of Blue River yet, (guy in the shop just down the road rides there often, and loves it) but some of these "political" misnomer post's are not really indicative to me wanting to drive the extra mileage...

Gentle suggestion...keep it fun, and FYI...local tax payers, (Canadian) will always win the Crown Land fight with Government...no sense getting uptight and turning people away who would love to come....maybe start a new thread for ideas to stop this monopolization of Crown Land to exclusive for profit enterprises???

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
, and FYI...local tax payers, (Canadian) will always win the Crown Land fight with Government...no sense getting uptight and turning people away who would love to come....maybe start a new thread for ideas to stop this monopolization of Crown Land to exclusive for profit enterprises???

Open your eyes man, most of its already closed

Shanerd

Reaction score
Open your eyes man, most of its already closed
Yup, your right...that’s why maybe a great sight like this could be a conduit for change...it could facilitate petitions, factual stats of local money spent, small local economy's supported through back country riding etc etc...was riding on Monday in Allan Creek and saw lots of Caribou tracks, hard to say the sleds scare them being one of the more popular riding area's around...just thought a specific thread for that purpose would be better than this one for people looking for snow conditions, no offence.

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give the guy's in blue a break; they struggle to keep these areas open. Without the work of these clubs a lot more would be closed. The same problem is happening in Alberta. There are a lot of groups that want the foothills (Edson, Hinton, Robb and Cadomin) closed to ATV's etc. There is lots of work done by volunteers to keep these areas open here and there. Just because its crown land doesn't mean it's open to sleds etc. In BC, its caribou, in Alberta it's FLUZ (forest land use zones) which are usually closed to motorized recreation.

bad bad kitty cat

Reaction score
Well i hope that i want have a problem trying to find a place to ride,i am a member of bcsf in bc, it`s my first time there we will be staying at the glacier mtn lodge always wanted to try blue river. Can somebody tell me what it`s going to cost me to ride every day and where the good places are any help would be appreciated Thanx

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if people want to ride there they have to stay there thats bs i always wanted to ride blue but i think ill stick to mcbride . you guys are coming off a little winey here

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, your right...that’s why maybe a great sight like this could be a conduit for change...it could facilitate petitions, factual stats of local money spent, small local economy's supported through back country riding etc etc...was riding on Monday in Allan Creek and saw lots of Caribou tracks, hard to say the sleds scare them being one of the more popular riding area's around...just thought a specific thread for that purpose would be better than this one for people looking for snow conditions, no offence.

Well said.
Here is a little fact on caribou research that not to many sledders know.wiegele heli skiing has set up a 50,000 dollar scholarship with the Thompson rivers university to study caribou in the monashee and central caribou mountains. What do you think those results will be

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
HOLY SMOKES !!

Ok .....Thanks for ALL Your input !.....

Thank You ALL Very much for Your Support of Our little Village !

I do understand that almost Everybody wants to check out Blue River, Valmount , McBride.....

YES I went to a couple of Trade Shows in Edmonton and Screamed " STEEP & DEEP BLUE RIVER " YESSSSSSS I still promote Blue River for a Year round destination ....You know what ? !.....IT WORKED !....LOL

Holy Smoke We built it and You ALL came and I am VERY Grateful for that I keep saying ....If it wasn't for ALL You Sledders Blue River would be a Ghost Town....So Thank You ALL Again a Million Times over !......

To the Fellow that had such a struggle getting info. here I am VERY sorry....

To bad bad kitty Lexy at the Glacier will Help You out with info. if She is not there We would be more than Happy to Help You out ! No Problem !

Growing Pains for Our little is hard BUT We WILL PERSEVERE ! Please bear with Us .....

Well good Debate Guys but I think I would like to not fight or Argue with anyone.....

Blue River is actually a pretty friendly place to visit so is Valemount and McBride !

I guess I asked for it ...and Whoa....I got it !!

So ...Ok....I really appreciate what ALL of You do for Us in Blue but I guess We will figure it out.....

Everyone is WELCOME to BLUE RIVER !

I am going to do Snow and Road Conditions after this Post ! But Thanks for ALL Your input I have lots to think about now !!

Last edited:

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
Hey Al " ley Cat ".....

sorry for Your bad experiance but You came to My place of Business ...Blue Jewel Snowmobile Tours & Rentals ......Did You think it was going to be Free ??

We are trying to make a living out here.....$50.00 not bad ...He usually charges $150.00 for a 2 Hour Tour He said $50.00 per person for ALL Day ?....not a bad deal ! No Stress You have a Guide to make sure You have A Fantastic day in the Mountains infoms You about the Area and Dangers and Closures due to Cariboo , We are here to Educate You for riding in this rugged backcountry tell You ALL about the 9 different Areas that We have to offer here in Blue River ......We just want to make sure that everybody goes home Safe.So if it means You hire a Guide for that day so be it .....because I think that Your Family thinks You are priceless, so $50.00 to make sure You are 100% Ok is not a bad deal really.....

This Thread is NOT usually like this .....I am usually Posting Pics of the Guests having fun here......sooo Stay Tuned and I hope You get to see some Awesome Pics and Snow Conditions and Road Conditions.....

BLUE JEWEL

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.holysmokeinn.ca
UPDATE !

The Guys that were out Sledding Today are saying still about a 10 Foot Base out there and about 1 1/2 Feet of POW ! maybe 2 to 2 1/2 Feet in the Trees....

These Guys had a really Great time Today and came back to a HUGE Pot of Stew with Baby Potatoes , Ceasar Salad , Coleslaw , Bun's , Apple Carmel Pie. Yummoooo !!

It Snowed here for a minute ...It Rained here for a while , its pretty Windy at times Wind is from the South....They are calling for 30cms. of Snow on the Coqu Hi-Way tonight !!

Bring it on ULAR !!

The Roads are bare and dry for the most part but watch for Snow melting across those Elevated Corners and the Temp. dipping down it could be icey !! Bridge Decks also can be pretty icey !

Lot's of Moose between here and Valemount a Cow and Calf were killed today so watch out for wildlife !!

Current Temp, at 9:15pm. is " 0.2 C. " Overcast......

Stay Tuned for more to come !!

Avalanche is HIGH sooooo be VERY Cautious....

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Patti and Robin! another great sled trip in blue river, found some deep snow and filled up on Laverne's great bbq pork chops, can't wait to check out the new windows at the holy smoke,, cheers:beer::beer:

murdok

Reaction score
My wife and I came to blue river about a month ago to try sledding something different. We were there about three years ago and Robin from Blue jewel took three of us on a guided tour for the day and we had a blast. So we figured we would just go where we went with him for the day. Well, we got to Blue river and went to the gas station on the highway, fueled up the sleds, bought some groceries, etc and asked the lady at the till if they had any trail maps, just out of curiosity? She told me to go over to the glacier mountain lodge and ask about the maps. So I walked over and asked the lady for some maps. The first thing she asked me was where we were staying. I told here we were at the best western in Valemount but had just driven down for the day. She plain out told me to ask someone in Valemount!! What a B$%^th!!! Wow.......I then told her that we had paid for a tour about three years ago and told her where we went, "down by the train tressel" and she said" That area has been closed for years! That Robin takes people where he shouldn't be in the first place!!" I really don't think she took her prozac pills that morning. AAAAnyway, after a while, she gave me some kind of a half ass photocopied map and walked away. Whatever, I thought. Went to the truck and told my wife what happened. She said that we should just go over to the blue jewel. Went over and spoke to a nice lady at the Holy smoke. She said she was the cook. Anyway, apparently Robin was working and Patti was sleeping because of a late nite before. So we just decided that we would go out for ourselves. We drove south of town to where the train tressel is and saw a sign on one of the trees that said " no sledding". We thought, hmmmmm, maybe she was rite? Then looked at that ratty old map and drove down to some parking lot south of town that would hold all of about ten trucks!! Well that lot was full so we just said the hell with it!! We ended up going to Chappell for the day and had a great time. I really don't think we will be coming back to blue anytime soon? There sure doesn't seem to be anything organized there?

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love blue river. 1.Way less riders than Valemount (for now anyways), only an hour further. 2 Lots of areas to choose from. 3 Is almost always more snow. I don't need to rely on locals to help me for free. I don't get sad when people don't recognize me from 3 years ago. And I don't trash people on the internet.

Top Bottom