Bill 6

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree.

And another question... A farm is run as a business. Why shouldn't you have to have WCB coverage when my business has to have it?
Ever wonder why you pay into WCB but can't collect as an employer?

Why doesn't the government care about the people who created the jobs lol.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember the war amps commercial?? The kid with no arms because of a farming accident?

I am not sure if you are aware of safety programs, but a business should always implement a safety program..

I hate the NDP as much as you, but some things should be tended to.

Haulers should have WCB. If they are a sub-contractor, then be it so... I have all my sub contractors abide by WCB protocol... Why not you?
That kid lots his arms on an average just outside the city not a farm.........

Just saying.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does Knothead's husband do?
uploadfromtaptalk1448935080768.jpg

This is the guy.
Picture is Meme worthy for sure.lol

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't grow up on a farm and I learned all that except welding, shooting, butchering and carpentry.... I can pay people for that chit the important stuff can be learned anywhere it's the teacher not the classroom that matters, I got nothing against farmers but you speak as if the rest of us are lesser for not having been raised on a farm.[/Q

Growing up on a farm is truly a privileged way of life only available to a select few. Certainly would have been my choice, if I had a choice. Not withstanding, business is business and safety is safety. The fact that last year almost as many people were killed on the farm as all other industries COMBINED (and farming is just a sliver of total industry) in Alberta would suggest that something needs to be changed! Four children were killed on the farm in Alberta in just the last few months - imagine the out cry if that happened in any other industry - just awful!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well most people who sit behind a desk for a living are less likly to be injured on the job.....

Sadly that would never occur to you or the eagle eyed young NDP ers
stats are great ..... For persuading people who can't see the obvious.....!!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this interesting. As soon as a child dies on the farm it's always the farms fault. Think the city is a safer place to raise your kids?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 176

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well most people who sit behind a desk for a living are less likly to be injured on the job.....

Sadly that would never occur to you or the eagle eyed young NDP ers
stats are great ..... For persuading people who can't see the obvious.....!!

The 24 people killed on the family farm last year and the 4 children killed over the past few months are sadly statistics. A horrible trend that is just getting worse. I see the obvious.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The NDP is using the safety angle as the reason for this, and I doubt any farmers set out at the start of the day to hurt or kill somebody. And let's face it, if they had come to farm organizations and said let's work together to make farms safer places to work most guys would be all over it. I think it's also fair to say that a lot of farmers would benefit from some safety awareness training to augment the way they were taught by their fathers etc.
Where farmers are really gonna get boned is when the government tries to apply the employment standards code to the family farm. This code is where employment conditions are set and enforced, for example hours of work, maximum shift hours, minimum rest periods etc. The big clash is gonna come when farmers are seeding or combining working the 18 hour days and the govt says nope, too many hours, shut her down.
This is where employment standards made for other industries don't jive with the realities of a family farm. And the school teachers and college students that now make up the NDP govt don't have the life experience or common sense to understand why accommodations need to be made to fit the realities of non factory farming.
Im afraid the best that farmers can hope for is that most of this won't be implemented fully before we can boot these idiots out of office!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Nothing could be further from the truth ,I look at it that I was quite fortunate to have grown up on the farm. This is not a slight against people who were not raised on a farm. That being said , I can see ( and I don't blame you) you will never understand what rural life means to a lot of us.... Simply put it is a life style of freedom of choice . It can not be measured in $$$

Actually I do understand what rural life means, grew up in a city but at 17 moved out to the sticks and as an adult I have chosen to live in small towns and acreages. I get the lifestyle, open the gate and ride whether it be sleds or ATV's, make the fire as big as you want and not have to go inside to take a leak etc... my retirement will be split between a boat off the coast and a cabin in the bush I get it.

I don't think we are far off in opinions, I do not believe that regulation should reflect on the lifestyle of the family farm, and if your farm is operated by your family you should not be regulated in most instances, education is still important there are a lot of preventable incidents. The "regulations" should apply when you are "directing the work of a paid employee" same as it does in every other industry. Anyway I tried to read the bill but they really fawked it up with all the repeals and jibber jabber so it makes no sense to me but so far as enforcement goes, you likely won't see fawk all.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The enforcement is where I see things getting really ugly. Farmers are a different breed......in a very good way. Generally speaking they are the salt of the earth. I just cant see how it is going to go when some government inspector walks onto someones farm and trys to tell them what to do, especially if its some bureaucrat on a power trip. At least most of the farmers I know. I grew up on a farm and I cant imagine a better place for kids to grow up. As others have said though, working with farmers to create better safety training is a great idea. That is one things my parents were absolutely amazing at and I guess I had always taken it for granted. They really took the time to teach us about safety. Augers, PTOs, grain bins, canola being like quicksand, etc. And really reinforced the idea that a split second decision can be life or death. Legislation and bureaucracy is not going to do that.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't grow up on a farm and I learned all that except welding, shooting, butchering and carpentry.... I can pay people for that chit the important stuff can be learned anywhere it's the teacher not the classroom that matters, I got nothing against farmers but you speak as if the rest of us are lesser for not having been raised on a farm.[/Q

Growing up on a farm is truly a privileged way of life only available to a select few. Certainly would have been my choice, if I had a choice. Not withstanding, business is business and safety is safety. The fact that last year almost as many people were killed on the farm as all other industries COMBINED (and farming is just a sliver of total industry) in Alberta would suggest that something needs to be changed! Four children were killed on the farm in Alberta in just the last few months - imagine the out cry if that happened in any other industry - just awful!
question I have is what's farm related and what's rural living/ recreational activity. From the news reports I saw (no first hand knowledge) the 3 sisters were playing on a farm, they were not working. The boy on the forklift would appear to have been working. Kids who have drowned in a dugout to me are not farm related, but it all gets lumped together. Obviously more hazards in the country. Don't hear of too many kids dying playing xbox.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I do understand what rural life means, grew up in a city but at 17 moved out to the sticks and as an adult I have chosen to live in small towns and acreages. I get the lifestyle, open the gate and ride whether it be sleds or ATV's, make the fire as big as you want and not have to go inside to take a leak etc... my retirement will be split between a boat off the coast and a cabin in the bush I get it.

I don't think we are far off in opinions, I do not believe that regulation should reflect on the lifestyle of the family farm, and if your farm is operated by your family you should not be regulated in most instances, education is still important there are a lot of preventable incidents. The "regulations" should apply when you are "directing the work of a paid employee" same as it does in every other industry. Anyway I tried to read the bill but they really fawked it up with all the repeals and jibber jabber so it makes no sense to me but so far as enforcement goes, you likely won't see fawk all.

I feel that same and agree with you Ian.
Corporate farms are providing a work place for people to work for a wage and regulation should be a good thing for them.

A family farm is if you muck the barn I will let you take the truck to the movies later tonight and give you twenty bucks. A family farm is a way of life for family members on private land. Some regulation may be a benefit or not seen as a nuisance for family farms but regulation to full scale corporate farms will ruin them.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

its sort of a sad fact that this would be a response that I'm sure a few people thought immediately,
" you likely won't get a distracted driving ticket looking at your phone in a Tim Hortons drive thru lineup , but ...... You likely won't get a ticket for a rolling stop when no other traffic is around , but......... You likely won't get a ticket for only 5 kliks over , but..........
There are so many parts of this issue with merit, unfortunately so many other parts full of ambiguous , hard to determine, subjective things that because of the lack of trust , well deserved, in our government bureaucracies , to be accepted and positive, this thing needs a re examination with all the right stakeholders. Short of that it'll be a train wreck, this suggestion of vote it in and then we'll figure it out, fawk that. Kinda like saying let me stick it in a little bit, then we'll talk.

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WCB is a joke, it always has been and always will be.It is nothing short of just another TAX.
How does a TAX save lives and make people safer?
All of the suit and tie retards in this world think that they can print word's on a piece of paper
and they have changed the world. I have a new's flash for you if you are one of those people,
all you have done is wasted oxygen and paper cause the world is the same place it was before
and after that piece of paper had those word's put on it.
If I stick a fork in to a breaker box and die ,do I come back to life if WCB say's it's against the law
to stick a fork into a breaker box?
The government want's more money and more control.PERIOD................
They can spin it all sort's of way's,but money and control is ALWAY'S the bottom line.

Top Bottom