Bike to bed

couchrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just woundering how to put my bike away for the winter. What do people do to winterize thier rides? Is it the same as putting a sled away for the summer? Picked up a used bike this summer. KDX 250. Have not rode since I was a wee lad and didnt really care back then. Now I do. Any help would be greatly appriciatied. Thanks in advance.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure it's on a stand (not sitting on the tires) and you can either drain all the fuel or put fuel stabilizer and drain it all in spring and put fresh stuff in. Good idea to cover it up to make sure dust and what not over the winter doesn't get built up in nooks and crannies, etc.. thats pretty much all I do.

hamwallet

Reaction score
I own YZ250fx. In the manual it says to drain all the fluids. Including oil, rad, gas. I never heard of having to put it up on a stand for the winter. But souns like a great idea to relieve fork pressure. Thanks for the tip, LadyDirt.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Manuals can be a bit extreme sometimes, but to each their own, Ill prob drain the fuel but I'll leave the coolant in, flush it in spring and fresh gear oil. Yes always store bikes on stand for long periods of time to releive forks. If you dont already know or do, for quick releif of fork pressure during the riding season, you know from being tied down and riding/jumping, etc.. take a screwdriver and unscrew the bleeder screw on the top of fork tube, should be a flat, just unscrew enough for the air to breathe out... usually you can hear the air pressure, if you dont hear it.. then its likely your forks are leaking.

mat

Reaction score
Put studded tires on and ride all winter...best practice you can get, next summer you'll ride like a champ...

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, I know people who do ride in the winter but honestly too hardcore for me. I like my bike and want to ride it for a long time so I think I will give it some well deserved rest for the winter :)

couchrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was never a fan of the snow hawks or whatever they are called. Thats why I bought a sled. The bike can go into hybernation, rest up for next year. Will just have to tuck her in nice and tight.

mat

Reaction score
well, I know people who do ride in the winter but honestly too hardcore for me. I like my bike and want to ride it for a long time so I think I will give it some well deserved rest for the winter :)

LadyDirt, I think this is a very lame excuse...listen to your self...give your bike some rest!!! I love my bike...and she loves me too...she loves me even more when I make her scream and beat the snut out off her...That what she's made for...maybe if you keep your bike long enough she 'll grow up to be a real dirt bike...and you'll learn to be a real hardcore rider...not a week end poser

rmktony

Reaction score
i love southern alberta theres never snow for more than a couple weeks. take the bike to the track one day then load up the sled and head to the pass the next day

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LadyDirt, I think this is a very lame excuse...listen to your self...give your bike some rest!!! I love my bike...and she loves me too...she loves me even more when I make her scream and beat the snut out off her...That what she's made for...maybe if you keep your bike long enough she 'll grow up to be a real dirt bike...and you'll learn to be a real hardcore rider...not a week end poser

Mat! You have seen me ride before.. I am formerly (yzgirl09),(I went riding with you at long island??) according to you then I was no "poser" !! lol and my new bike..(KTM SX 105), is indeed a REAL dirtbike, and I ride an average of 3 days week during the season, plus always out of town biking/camping trips..thats a lot of hours!(hardcore enough for me anyway) - and after rebuilding the top and bottem end this summer, I really just want it to last a while and avoid doing too many rebuilds, so I feel no need to rip it up in the winter (besides, it's time to hit the slopes!)

mat

Reaction score
I know who you are honey, Sorry I was just being sarcastic...nothing personal...you are actually a very good rider, who loves the sport...I was more taking about the guys who take there bike everywhere they go in the back of there truck "look at me I own a dirt bike" I'm very glad that you decided to buy a KTM....orange plastic rules!I wish we had more chances to ride together, that time in Long Island w/ your BF and your friends was a blast. Enjoy the winter on the slopes and will see you next spring...regards to Boyle

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know who you are honey, Sorry I was just being sarcastic...nothing personal...you are actually a very good rider, who loves the sport...I was more taking about the guys who take there bike everywhere they go in the back of there truck "look at me I own a dirt bike" I'm very glad that you decided to buy a KTM....orange plastic rules!I wish we had more chances to ride together, that time in Long Island w/ your BF and your friends was a blast. Enjoy the winter on the slopes and will see you next spring...regards to Boyle

Haha sounds good! I will be ready to rip it up, oh and it's "Boyd"! LOL. Did you get your son a new bike yet?

Top Bottom