Bighorn Dam Area

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A fella was sayin its good bikin, & campin areas , with lots of atv trails, I was told awhile back it was all shut down. Anyone out there know different?

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BigHorn Area

Thanks Safari, is there any way I could obtain some info on the trail systems, or where to begin, not lookin for secret spots or anything, but a nice weekend away with the family. Also, can you bush camp, or do ya have to be in campgrounds? Appreciate any more info you could give.

Thanks again.

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bighorn area

Anyone have any info, or a website to look over the area?

whopper809

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the large free camping area down in the river ravine below the dam, just to the right of the pic is the dam itself and if you look hard you can see trailors and so on in the grass area, but if you look you can find more secluded spots above the ravine in the trees.
You can call Rocy Mnt House 403 845-8250 orDrayton Valley 780 542-6616 for a Bighorn backcountry map.
Spent an afternoon there once did some scouting. Great area looks like we may head there with friends for the long weekend.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,429

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a place to put on the list of places to go. Nice PIC.

GRD

Reaction score
Looks like a great camping spot, until the dam is opened up!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Hey whopper I think everyone that has been there has that exact same pic... I swear I seen it 100 times :D

whopper809

Reaction score
Murminator Hey whopper I think everyone that has been there has that exact same pic... I swear I seen it 100 times

Ya I never took pics the first trip out, (forgot the camera) so I found some on another forum and hijacked a few pics. Here's another maybe you havn't seen. It's a shot of the resevior beter known as Abraham Lake.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 896

whopper809

Reaction score
Here's a few pics we took this past long weekend. Lots of people every where but there are plenty of places to camp in the area, If you don't like wind you wouldn't want to camp in the open by the dam, great trails and some really nasty one's, will definatly go again, never even had time to checked out the trails on the north side of highway heading over to Cresent falls.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 598
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 591
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 591
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 585

dirtydodge

Reaction score
Nice Polaris , is that Ms sasquatch ???? or is she back in the cave watching the little squawches ????? Just kidding ,, this was a great weekend and I will be going back to check out the other side with the whoppers . A must to check out , even saw alot of rangers and those yamee 4by things too . I guess they do fit on some of our trails ...

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have in riding in this area is the scenery amd the urge to stop and take pictures.;)

Great place to spend the weekend!

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from there yesterday ( July 16 ), was out there for 8 days, first time out, definatley going back. Stayed on some easy trails this time, as the kids were both ridin their dirtbikes, lots of fun.

Top Bottom