Bighorn Dam Area

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you can get on SRDs website, look for Bighorn Backcountry, should tell you open and closed dates on the trails out there.

Rod

Reaction score
bighorns a great place! been there 2 or 3 times with buddies on rhinos , lotsa good hills and some mud plus one hill too steep for a Rhino

Hondarider62

Reaction score
That area is great. I go there pretty much whenever I can. You pretty much need to bush camp because there isnt a campground. If possible, camp below the dam, not near the highway. The scenery is better than anywhere else and it is quieter.

dirtydodge

Reaction score
This is just past Nordegg , the big horn dam , rec area , about 3hrs from edmonton . A great spot , lots of camping and good trails . :D

farnzy

Reaction score
hey guys and gals im headin out to bighorn this weekend first time there i hope its as good as they say

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i believe the area is closed odwn right now but post up if you could go or not. confirmation would be great. i would like to head out there at some point.

Confirmed....
ast review/updated: May 12, 2008

Kiska/Willson Forest Land Use Zone, Temporary Trail Restriction, Off-Highway Vehicles, May 1, 2008 – Effective 12:00 p.m.

Those trails located south of the North Saskatchewan River, commonly referred to as the Bighorn Dam Area will be temporarily restricted to off-highway vehicles from May 1, 2008 to June 30th, 2008,

azoroth_sp

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Does anyone have a Google map to Bighorn Dam Area? Ive got a trip out there this weekend and the directions I've been given are kind of sketchy.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
you guys should call and confirm with forestry that you can go where you are planning. i have read about this on more than one website and heres is the link to the bullettin.

may be a waste of a trip.

azoroth_sp

Reaction score
Thank you very much for that information. I have brought it to the organizers of the trips attention. Would you have a recommendation for where we could go if we need a secondary location? we are Edmonton based But are looking for a good ride.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
there are lots of good areas. all are going to be busy but if you get there early enough you can normally get a good area. anyway. here is a link to lots of good riding areas with placemarkers at staging areas.

azoroth_sp

Reaction score
According to the people who have been there before that we are going with they are aware of the closure and we are going to be going somewhere called Chambers Creek. Is it worth the drive?

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chambers Creek is about 20 or so km. west of Rocky.It has good trails.it has been known
to get use from the jeeps,trucks and buggy`s some of which run 48 inch tires.
From Chambers you can ride west and south down to the North Sask. river.
West of there on the trail is an abandonded site with an old caboose.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I'm heading to Chambers Creek for a Saturday ride before heading to Outwest Camping for the other two days. Its a good ride but can be rutted up at times from the jeeps but theres lots of area a jeep can't touch too. Have fun, watch for a loud red Can-Am probably with some sort of plastic dragging behind me or bent handle bars :eek: Its gonna be a good weekend :cool:

azoroth_sp

Reaction score
Sounds like itll be a great time.

If your looking for me Ill be driving a GMC Sierra 4x4 Blue and silver. Ill have my kind quad on the back.

Any one got recommendations for the best way to lock up a quad. On the bikes I just put locks though the frame or on the breaks.

Normally I would lock it to the trailer or in the shed but I'm carrying it in the box this time out.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is this area open as of now?never been there but would like to go soon.is there a link with directions??i know this is an old thread but hey what the heck.:beer::d

azoroth_sp

Reaction score
The location was open for camping when we where there. Many of the southern trails where closed but the northern trails where still open for this season. As far as a map don't have much advice there sorry. Im sure you can locate one on the site somewhere.

Goldy

Reaction score
love it out there. challenging trail for a bike, but fun.
everyone respects it and awesome places to see.

i am posting some pics soon.

goldy.:d

Top Bottom