Better circulation of the cool a/c air

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 floors home with a/c, the a/c works great but we really notice how much cooler each floor is - in the basement you need a jacket, main floor hoody will suffice and on the 3rd it's still fairly warm. We just set the thermostat and let it go..

Is there a way to move the cool basement air up to the top floor easily?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly get a fan of some sort sucking from inside the basement blowing through the ducts might help

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shut the heat off and just rum the furnace fan

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about closing all the floor vents in the bottom floors........:canadaflag:

I had that done.. Basement isn't developed so had the basement vents closed.. Had a contractor come in to quote me on finishing the basement and he told me to open them all up as by closing you change the airflow thru the house and it would be worse.. Not sure about that, it's -20 downstairs right now, +20 on the main floor and +25 on the top.. Makes sense as the hot air rises..

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fan will suck in hot air from outside though won't it? It's not circulating cool air from the basement up is it?
pull your furnace filter. put filters in your floor vents if you're concerned about dust etc. your furnace doesn't pull outside air, it only circulates inside air from your home. pulling outside air and heating it would be terribly inefficient, as would be pulling outside air and cooling it

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on my furnace there is a front panel that I can remove and it will suck air directly from the basement. keeps the house a bit cooler for a little longer during the day

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try turning on a bathroom exhaust fan on the top level to help some hot air escape. It will increase air flow to the top level by creating a negative pressure up there.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you ever had an Air Balance done, by an certified HVAC company?

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of furnaces have a "summer" switch of some sort that circulates 24/7. Don't close furnace vents as it can overwork the fan motor.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of furnaces have a "summer" switch of some sort that circulates 24/7. Don't close furnace vents as it can overwork the fan motor.
on mine it's right behind the main removable cover inside the furnace, it's a little white push/pull switch.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try turning on a bathroom exhaust fan on the top level to help some hot air escape. It will increase air flow to the top level by creating a negative pressure up there.

Good idea.. I'll try it

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be part of the thermostat options on a digital.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull your furnace filter. put filters in your floor vents if you're concerned about dust etc. your furnace doesn't pull outside air, it only circulates inside air from your home. pulling outside air and heating it would be terribly inefficient, as would be pulling outside air and cooling it

Most.. Not all furnaces should have a flash air make up. Most now do it via hvac exchanger.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most.. Not all furnaces should have a flash air make up. Most now do it via hvac exchanger.
english please? lol...I only know how mine works, I'm not an HVAC expert. mine has an intake from the outside for the "combustion" chamber, but it recirculates inside air for heating. what is a flash air make up? what is an HVAC exchanger? not being a dick, I really don't know

Miller-Time

Reaction score
Hey, im a Hvac Tech in the edmonton area. throw me a PM and we can talk about your issues. its not an easy thing to achieve and will never be perfect. but we can help make it a little better. alot of the suggestions on here arent quite the way i would go about trying to fix the issue. Also my previous handle on this site was Lahey99. so im not a total newb.

Top Bottom