Better book your rooms now for winter 2018

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't that pretty much dead after he missed his deadline for having substantial work in progress?

Not sure it is 100%dead, after 20 year's I don't think they would give up that easy. There is still an official municipality on the payroll.
Now they have something to stay busy with maybe it will fade away.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Care to Elaborate on Jumbo resort?

Same developer has been proposing a resort in the jumbo valley for years. Patagonia sponsored a movie on Netflix about it. Jumbo Wild.

Developer had until fall of 2016 for substantial construction permit. They poured some footings for a shed and put in a bridge but goverment said sorry not enough and permit was yanked.

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess would be jumbo is done. Valemount has had zero negative feedback from all groups involved. Super stoked for this new resort, going to sweet to go shredding in the summer up on the glacier and some winter sled/board trips.

Same developer has been proposing a resort in the jumbo valley for years. Patagonia sponsored a movie on Netflix about it. Jumbo Wild.

Developer had until fall of 2016 for substantial construction permit. They poured some footings for a shed and put in a bridge but goverment said sorry not enough and permit was yanked.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It makes more sense to build it near valemont than the Jumbo valley in many ways.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the base is near our house. the ski girls can jump right into my hot tub after!

we have been following this thing for some time and have seen so many projects come and go through valemount i am still a little skeptical. I hope it works out but until i see lift towers going in im not going to get my hopes up. Its a huge investment into something so far away from any major center i just dont see where the crowds will come from. the odd charter flight into the airport of Europeans wont keep the doors open. asside from it being so far from a major center.....it pretty much has everything else going for it. Good airport with plenty of expansion room right at the base, existing infrastructure and roadways, no major roads need to be built, there is no opposition, the terrain is endless, and the snow is great.

the one thing that keeps me positive is that they have done a TON of planning/surveying/brushing etc and are being very public about it all.

Last edited:

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm VERY hopeful that this will happen. I love skiing and wold take my family here multiple times a year! The snow conditions "should" stomp on Marmot Basin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope he builds them both.
The road to jumbo would cost taxpayers 3-500million to build. It's almost 50km and goes through a half dozen major slide paths.
After that the mot would need to figure out how to maintain it.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should buy some property in town before it's priced out of my reach.

I guess a guy came through a year or two ago and picked up most of the good stuff. we were looking last year, not much there but who knows it may be different now.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the base is near our house. the ski girls can jump right into my hot tub after!

we have been following this thing for some time and have seen so many projects come and go through valemount i am still a little skeptical. I hope it works out but until i see lift towers going in im not going to get my hopes up. Its a huge investment into something so far away from any major center i just dont see where the crowds will come from. the odd charter flight into the airport of Europeans wont keep the doors open. asside from it being so far from a major center.....it pretty much has everything else going for it. Good airport with plenty of expansion room right at the base, existing infrastructure and roadways, no major roads need to be built, there is no opposition, the terrain is endless, and the snow is great.

the one thing that keeps me positive is that they have done a TON of planning/surveying/brushing etc and are being very public about it all.

It's not really any further from Edmonton than Revelstoke is from Calgary and look how many ski hills you have to drive past to get to Revy from Calgary. Granted Revy also has the Thompson Okanagan close enough for day trips but there's also competition from 3 other major resorts. Kamloops and Prince George are close enough to day trip so there's another ~200k of population to draw from. Really hope it goes ahead and is successful it will be great for the Robson valley.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not really any further from Edmonton than Revelstoke is from Calgary and look how many ski hills you have to drive past to get to Revy from Calgary. Granted Revy also has the Thompson Okanagan close enough for day trips but there's also competition from 3 other major resorts. Kamloops and Prince George are close enough to day trip so there's another ~200k of population to draw from. Really hope it goes ahead and is successful it will be great for the Robson valley.

your right, i was more comparing to successful resorts like whistler which have the entire lower mainland to draw from

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand they are hoping to take advantage of the traffic through jasper nat. Park ( about two million a year).
Is it to late to buy some property in the area ?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I understand they are hoping to take advantage of the traffic through jasper nat. Park ( about two million a year).
Is it to late to buy some property in the area ?

never too late, hop on the realtor.ca site and see what's out there.... good opportunity for a vacation rental home!

Top Bottom