Belt Drive what's you thoughts

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering your thought is it worth the money?

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the technology and the feel of a belt drive machine. What I noticed was more snap and response between my 2012 Pro, and my 2013. I do, however believe the technology should be tried tested and true before sending into production.. I personally Like to use Brakes on my snowmobile in the event that my belt on my belt drive were to blow... my personal opinion.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never ridden a sled with belt drive but I can't see it being worth the $1200. RotaxKid has a build thread on DT and I think it only dropped about 1/2# on his XM. The guys on pros say the 13's are snappier than the 12's but they also had new pistons and different mapping so it's tough to gauge what is related to what. Not many guys will spend $1200 on a mod and then tell you it was a waste of money, they'll convince themselves it was worth it.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never ridden a sled with belt drive but I can't see it being worth the $1200. RotaxKid has a build thread on DT and I think it only dropped about 1/2# on his XM. The guys on pros say the 13's are snappier than the 12's but they also had new pistons and different mapping so it's tough to gauge what is related to what. Not many guys will spend $1200 on a mod and then tell you it was a waste of money, they'll convince themselves it was worth it.
Rotaxkid Builds some sweet sleds .I ask because belt drive has been tried years ago and It wasn't as efficient as a chain Have things changed or is it Hype?

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys. The TKI drive I have shaved just a touch over 2 lbs. I like trying things..nature of being an engineer I guess. This is one of those. I feel it adds a bit more response, but I changed too much at once to pin point what the better throttle response is from. If we had more snow and better conditions where I wasn't so desperate to go riding, I had planned to test in stages to see if I could get a better feel. I might do this at the end of the year when I take everything back off. I wouldn't mind throwing the chaincase back on and seeing if there was a noticeable difference. As it sits right now, I think it does contribute a little better response, but not $800 worth. If I had to put a justifiable number on it, I'd say $400 is about what I would be willing to pay for this mod next time around. I think the response I gained is more a product of RB's clutching and a ear change than the belt drive. It does give me parking lot status I think and for some that maybe priceless. :)

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the technology and the feel of a belt drive machine. What I noticed was more snap and response between my 2012 Pro, and my 2013. I do, however believe the technology should be tried tested and true before sending into production.. I personally Like to use Brakes on my snowmobile in the event that my belt on my belt drive were to blow... my personal opinion.

If you break a chain on a chaincased sled you don't have any brakes either. Brakes are on the jackshaft.....at least they were on the last two dozen sleds I had. With a Diamond Drive the brakes are on the driveshaft. Of course if one of those piles up you don't need brakes, cuz it'll lock the track up tight.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you break a chain on a chaincased sled you don't have any brakes either. Brakes are on the jackshaft.....at least they were on the last two dozen sleds I had. With a Diamond Drive the brakes are on the driveshaft. Of course if one of those piles up you don't need brakes, cuz it'll lock the track up tight.
I Believe that cat, doo and Polaris all have the brake disc on the drive shaft now .I Could be wrong I know my doo's do .

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a belt drive on my sled to start this year. I like it so far. I haven't really noticed it being any snappier but putting the belt drive, extended chaincase, bigger drivers, and going from a 2.5" 163 to a 3" 174 I actually gained a little trackspeed so something in my setup change from last year is more efficient. I'm sure the drivers have something to do with it but I think the majority is the belt drive.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one of c3's prototypes ones on my xp,i did have a few issues and put my chaincase back together, when i was waiting for parts. There is a noticable difference for sure. With it on it is way more responsive and lighter. The only thing you might want to watch is the upper bearings in the chaincase(i now inject grease in to it) as I had one seize on me a few years ago,or just replace it every yr or two(under 20$).O ya n the cool factor is threw the roof

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good thread. there are some very good points here. i couldnt imagine having a brake system thats not on the driveshaft..all your braking power is betting on your belt drive belt holding up. no thanks..

in reality the chain is heavy and runs through a cold thick fluid. there has to be gains albeit minimal. it would be interesting to measure the HP at the secondary with both. aswell as the response time from 0-8000rpm.

until a sled walks by me on the hill because he has a "belt drive" i wont be installing one. its just not in my budget and wont be for a while....if i had money to modify i would likely try it.

the other important factor is it would have to be as reliable as a chain before i considered one. so basically initial tension after breakin and then dont look at the thing again for 2 seasons.

you already run the risk of blowing one 200$ belt any time you ride imagine having a 400$ belt day. LOL

Last edited:

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
run the belt loose but not loose enough that it skips teeth,same therory as your track.Chain is done up as tight as it can be , belt nice n loose more power to the ground..

Kelly

Reaction score
Put a C3 on my 2012 Proclimb to try and 1 up my son on his 13 Pro. The Cat definitely works better with the belt than the chain.
There is just something about that light a$$ Pro that I cant catch. Please help. The Cat trenches and that damn Polaris keeps going.
Still love the belt drive though. Any tips would be appreciated

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a C3 on my 2012 Proclimb to try and 1 up my son on his 13 Pro. The Cat definitely works better with the belt than the chain.
There is just something about that light a$$ Pro that I cant catch. Please help. The Cat trenches and that damn Polaris keeps going.
Still love the belt drive though. Any tips would be appreciated

Camo 2.5" track or 2.6" power claw.

motorheadracing

Reaction score
Really like the kit from C3 on a 14 doo and he is a stand up guy that backs his product!
He came out with a new belt tensioner this year that has proven not to work. He stood behind his product 100% and sent the old style tensioner and seems to be bullet proof. The response is great and very smooth. If you have the cash I would recommend it. It's only a matter of time before all the sleds have them from factory. There is power to be had when reducing rotating steel mass through thick oil.

Sent from my shoe phone

Top Bottom