BC's new Off-Road legislation is coming.

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in sask, ALL the monies used to register your sled(yearly) is put back into the club/trail systems. Helps them buy groomers/fuel/warm up shelters ect. whats the big deal about a ONE time fee :dunno:.

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here in sask we pay $50 or $60 a year for a trail permit, which is added to your registration fees, it sounds like the bc govt is going to collect another 12% tax, on a sxs or quad that cost $10000 to $ 15000. that's a whole lotta extra revenue for the govt. I maybe wrong,however that's what it seems like.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here in sask we pay $50 or $60 a year for a trail permit, which is added to your registration fees, it sounds like the bc govt is going to collect another 12% tax, on a sxs or quad that cost $10000 to $ 15000. that's a whole lotta extra revenue for the govt. I maybe wrong,however that's what it seems like.

Exactly! It's not about a $100 registration fee. Say I buy my neighbours sxs for $9000. At time of registration I pay the government $1180. And still this legislation solves nothing that isn't already covered under other legislation that's not being enforced.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here's another perspective:

I'm back from a couple days in Calgary and see that the discussion has been healthy. Ken (Moyie) raises lots of good points and as seen from his posts, he has been involved with this proposal for years.

We all hate change because the negative aspects really get pointed out. I stated before that I hate paying taxes and particularly taxes that I have been able to avoid in the past. It is a fact that we live in a province where we are required to pay to keep the government and the province going (whether we like it or not?). Just because we will now have to pay that tax, that for various reasons we were able to avoid, is not enough of a reason to hate the legislation.

If money goes back to the back country infrastructure (I have my doubts it will but with my role within the BCSF, I will try to make sure some of it does), surely, some good will come of it.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im of the same perception as Moyiesled.If it was the one time fee no big deal but it will be way more than that.Everytime you buy and sell a used ATV or bring one in from Alberta there going to tax you on the value.A complete cash grab.Just more regulation from government that will do very little to help in detering theft

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, after thinking about this a little more........I have no problem with the registration itself. No big deal, especially if the money goes to good use. What I have a problem with is the full 12% tax on vehicles EVERY time they are bought and sold. It really blows my mind that they can do this. BCs a nice place to live, but I really wonder if it is worth it sometimes.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just phoned my local MLA and discussed this issue. I ended up writing an email to the BC minister of finance and cc'ing my MLA on it to voice my opposition to tax being collected every time a vehicle changes hands. Its about all a person can do so figure it is worth a try. The more people that do it, the higher chance it will be discussed. If anyone else is interested, his email address is mike.dejong.mla@leg.bc.ca

Megrizzly

Reaction score
Seriously, why does the government not understand the simple thing to do here. Simply put, only apply the tax to NEW atvs, sxs, etc and put the revenue into supporting the off-road community. This can be maybe opening up trails or clubs, etc. 12% seems quite high, should be more like half that. I don't think they understand that people will provide much better support to a good cause that they can use or benefit from rather than a bunch of unenforced regulations.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are 2 issues here, the registration issue and the tax issue. The registration is one thing, most probably wouldn't have a big issue with, if it helps prevent theft etc and is one time. I think provincial registration is a good thing, too many "unregistered" sleds in BC that seem to have "fallen" out of the backs of trucks and trailers from other provinces. Registration will be a good thing to help cut down on stolen sleds. Pretty hard to register a sled that's in the RCMP system as stolen.

Then there is the tax issue: Let's be honest guys, BC is broke. If it wasn't for a few enterprising areas, the province brings in marginal revenue and would probably be sold off. Hell, when you look at the tenures they have given away, you'd think that they had. :)

There's a reason that so many people are moving away for regions where they can actually earn a decent wage and living for their family.

The governing folks figure if you are rich enough to buy a fancy snow machine or small offroad SUV (AKA Side by side), then your rich ass can afford a 12% tax on it too I guess.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Registration will be a good thing to help cut down on stolen sleds.

In fact, it doesn't make a significant difference. Damn I wish I could find ICBC's submission paper from the beginning of this process. They quoted statistical data from many jurisdictions that had registration to show that it made no difference regarding theft prevention or vehicle recovery. Thieves just switch from selling whole units to parting them out. ICBC has opposed this registration scheme from day one. They're looking after it because they're being told to.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this 12% coming from? Did I miss it somewhere??? PST in a year or two will be back to 7% like it used to be. Hst is out. I doubt they will charge full pst on used sales.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this 12% coming from? Did I miss it somewhere??? PST in a year or two will be back to 7% like it used to be. Hst is out. I doubt they will charge full pst on used sales.

When the HST was voted out the thieves in Victoria kept the pst on private sales of anything that needs registered at 12%.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes they do. Full 12% on ANY new or used vehicle when you register it. Absolutely retarded. It actually went up to 12 from 7 when they kicked out the HST. Doesnt make any sense.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is crooked!!
And I thought Nova Scotia paid the highest taxes.
I guess the way around it is to put a really low purchase price down when you do the bill of sale up.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Let's not get worked up on the 12% tax. No matter where we buy our new sleds, the BC portion is only 7%.

I also do not like the fact that the tax has to be paid over and over with every sale. That definitely is a cash grab!

It is interesting to note, when the older GST/PST system was in place, I'm pretty sure there was no PST for used vehicles privately sold. It isn't like that now.

calltrex

Reaction score
The gov will never change it. They would loose a pile of money. In sask tax only has to be paid once and its on record.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people thought gun registry was a good thing too. Am i every glad that is gone. I can't think for the life of me why this would be a good thing for any person who likes to atv, it is nothing more than another pain in the azz to deal with in the already growing list of crap. Any person who gains financially from this act if it goes through should be ashamed of them selves ...to bad there was not jail time for legalized theft and empire building.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
This proposed act is not just about registration. There is no mention of insurance or lisencing in the act, We already need ins to ride on Resource roads (FSR Mining etc). Some of the other stuff that is in there will tick a lot of out of province riders off. All OHV including dirt bikes must be equipped with working head and tail lights. They must be used between sunset and sunup (1/2 hr ). We will not be allowed to ride on a resource road during adverse visability conditions ( dust--blowing snow etc). Visability distance will be set in the regulations. Helmets 100% mandatory for all OHV. 16 and under to be
100% supervised by a person19 +. ALL--- non BC registred OHV will require a permit to ride in our province. This stupid permit will affect approximately 650,000 OHV that could possibly come to BC within an 8hr drive

Top Bottom