BC's new Off-Road legislation is coming.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This proposed act is not just about registration. There is no mention of insurance or lisencing in the act, We already need ins to ride on Resource roads (FSR Mining etc). Some of the other stuff that is in there will tick a lot of out of province riders off. All OHV including dirt bikes must be equipped with working head and tail lights. They must be used between sunset and sunup (1/2 hr ). We will not be allowed to ride on a resource road during adverse visability conditions ( dust--blowing snow etc). Visability distance will be set in the regulations. Helmets 100% mandatory for all OHV. 16 and under to be
100% supervised by a person19 +. ALL--- non BC registred OHV will require a permit to ride in our province. This stupid permit will affect approximately 650,000 OHV that could possibly come to BC within an 8hr drive

If what your saying is true, that's retarded!! How the hell are they ever going to be able to enforce it?? They might have time to enforce about 1% of tourists.
Is this act already passed and in effect?

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's not get worked up on the 12% tax. No matter where we buy our new sleds, the BC portion is only 7%.

I also do not like the fact that the tax has to be paid over and over with every sale. That definitely is a cash grab!

It is interesting to note, when the older GST/PST system was in place, I'm pretty sure there was no PST for used vehicles privately sold. It isn't like that now.

That is correct, no PST before on used vehicles.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This proposed act is not just about registration. There is no mention of insurance or lisencing in the act, We already need ins to ride on Resource roads (FSR Mining etc). Some of the other stuff that is in there will tick a lot of out of province riders off. All OHV including dirt bikes must be equipped with working head and tail lights. They must be used between sunset and sunup (1/2 hr ). We will not be allowed to ride on a resource road during adverse visability conditions ( dust--blowing snow etc). Visability distance will be set in the regulations. Helmets 100% mandatory for all OHV. 16 and under to be
100% supervised by a person19 +. ALL--- non BC registred OHV will require a permit to ride in our province. This stupid permit will affect approximately 650,000 OHV that could possibly come to BC within an 8hr drive

And where did you find these little tid-bits? I would be pretty sure that if an OHV was registered and insured in Alberta, it would be treated the same as an Alberta car when it comes to BC. Snow machines are like that now and if they are good to go in the province from which they are registered and insured, they are good to go in BC.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not correct. There was always 7% PST on used, but there was no 5% GST. Now that 12% HST is gone there is once again only PST....but they raised it from 7% to 12%. How's that for a handful of acronyms!

mustard73

Reaction score
There is no way I would register a used OHV and pay the tax. 7% or 12% on a $10,000 vehicle would be $700 or $1,200, respectively. I take my chances and the fines so far have never even came close.

I will however buy liability, fire & theft insurance....

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And where did you find these little tid-bits?

Helmets and headlights are already required under the Motor Vehicle Act provisions in the current Forest Service Road Use Regulation.
Not sure where he's getting the out of province permit and visibility stuff from. :confused:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not correct. There was always 7% PST on used, but there was no 5% GST. Now that 12% HST is gone there is once again only PST....but they raised it from 7% to 12%. How's that for a handful of acronyms!

I stand corrected. I always get them backwards.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is crooked!!
And I thought Nova Scotia paid the highest taxes.
I guess the way around it is to put a really low purchase price down when you do the bill of sale up.
If you put too low a price on it then ICBC will send a letter requiring an appraisal, then you pay taxes based on that amount.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you put too low a price on it then ICBC will send a letter requiring an appraisal, then you pay taxes based on that amount.

Used to do it all the time - never got questioned once. Kicker was if you wrote the vehicle off though, that was the most they would pay you.

It's bs for them to make you pay taxes based on appraisal value. What if it is willed or gifted to you?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Used to do it all the time - never got questioned once. Kicker was if you wrote the vehicle off though, that was the most they would pay you.

It's bs for them to make you pay taxes based on appraisal value. What if it is willed or gifted to you?

They have specials forms for settler's possessions and willed/gifted items. As long as the value is "in the market value range and you can justify it", a lower price is acceptable (ie pictures of damaged chit that has reduced the price).

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that I am glad I moved out of that communist province. It's going downhill more every year. Hell they even let Tex move in lol.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes by they did

So far anyways

sent while I should be drinking tea's

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
Some of the info that I passed along is not correct. I obtained previous info from an ATV meeting I attended Thursday Feb 27 in Elkford. Info came from a guy that had the proposed act in his hand. I have since downloaded and read the parts I commented on. Insured & lisenced out of province will not require a permit. Lights to be used during adverse conditions

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has always been PST on used vehicle sales in BC. You pay it when you transfer ownership and get it insured. Unless it is a gift. Now you can only gift vehicles to your family.

GPsnownut

Reaction score
It is about dam time B.C did this, should of been done 20 years ago, once the legislation is in place, hopefully it will cut down on sleds and quads being stolen in AB and taken to BC never to be seen again. As an Albertan I have to pay registration and insurance every year at a cost of approx. $2500 per year for 2 sleds and 2 quads and you guys are wining about a one time fee, and having to pay some taxes, I agree with a previous post, you can afford a $15000 sled or a $20000 side by side but cant afford to pay the tax, come on people quit your wining.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is about dam time B.C did this, should of been done 20 years ago, once the legislation is in place, hopefully it will cut down on sleds and quads being stolen in AB and taken to BC never to be seen again. As an Albertan I have to pay registration and insurance every year at a cost of approx. $2500 per year for 2 sleds and 2 quads and you guys are wining about a one time fee, and having to pay some taxes, I agree with a previous post, you can afford a $15000 sled or a $20000 side by side but cant afford to pay the tax, come on people quit your wining.

thats not all the problem... i had a 2004 yamaha 450 with serial number scratched off... long story... anyhow the bike was worth more then most P.O.S dodge caravans that were being stolen and dumped in a ravine near my fav riding areas that`we alway report when we found them... anyhow i was told by the cops who lifted a partial vin off the bike and traced it back via engine number to the original purchase (yes they did their homework) that dirtbikes, quads sleds ect ect were only kept on their police info centre for 1 year no matter how much it was worth... but a 500 dollar car was kept on forever and only removed if recovered... now there in lies the problem! So in the end steal someones 20k sled wait a year and it was free of title... hope they change that along with the new laws or its all BS as i suspect it already is...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pretty easy to spout off about stuff that doesn't affect you! We'll see what you think when the Alberta government introduces a provincial sales tax. :blah:

Sled's have been registered in BC since 1970. How much good has that done?

And NO, I can't afford a $15000 sled and a $20000 side by side, and I'll whine about the taxes all I like! It's the Canadian way after all. :loco:

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Pretty easy to spout off about stuff that doesn't affect you! We'll see what you think when the Alberta government introduces a provincial sales tax. :blah:

Sled's have been registered in BC since 1970. How much good has that done?

And NO, I can't afford a $15000 sled and a $20000 side by side, and I'll whine about the taxes all I like! It's the Canadian way after all. :loco:

You have been whining about more than just the taxes on this legislation! I wonder how long it will take them to pass it into legislation? My guess is another 2 years....:d

Top Bottom