BC vs Alberta

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is the shuswap area. Moved there 2yrs ago and our family lives it. There's a little bit of everything in the area. I've heard the sledding and atving is awesome but do to my line of work don't get out much when I'm home. Been told by some friends that you can sled the mountains come down shoot a round if golf then hit the lake for some water skiing Down side is a bit gloomy in the winter the whole three months of it. Well that's my 2c about my little piece of paridice. Good luck

x2.
If I ever move back to BC, either here or on Vancouver Island is where I would live.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO North Okanagan or the Shuswap. Kelowna airport is close by (45 min from Armstrong). Salmon Arm, Vernon are over around 30,000 people and Kelowna is close to 200,000. All towns have their amenities. Yes it is more expensive to live in BC, but I learnt years ago that I would rather live where I love it rather than being miserable just to say I save more money on taxes. Money isnt everything. Like the Trooper song says......... "we are here for a good time not a long time".

Good luck in your decision!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In your search you might also check out Okotoks, Airdrie and Cochrane areas. Excellent access to the foothills and mountains with the convenience of a major city with Alberta' air passenger hub less than an hour away. Sylvan Lake is another outdoor mecca summer and winter and Red Deer is nearby. Good luck.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prince george isnt too bad, i dont like really largy cities (ie vancouver calgary edmonton) i visit them but i could never live there. we are a couple hours away in any direction for some awesome mountain riding. and just mi nutes outside of town for some good cutblock/tree riding. sled mamma im surprised we havent corssed paths yet lol

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Trail but would never ever move back due to the smelter. Now live in sparwood and yes life is great. Camping all summer with the hunting in the fall and great sledding all winter. shopping sucks around here but the states is really close and gas is cheap down there.

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC certainly means bring cash, but theres some amazing sledding fishing quadding clean lakes ect. that said I live pretty much between Castlegar/Nelson and find myself shopping /banking in c'gar the majority of the time, also use the airport some and trail has a small airport that I think is going to be expanding, all good things as several friends commute to Alberta to work.Kelowna def covers shopping 3hrs away or Spokane for some smoking parts deals :) real estate has dropped some and there are decent deals to be found. hope this is of some help.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
red deer is the best place to be in alberta, an hour to edmonton, calgary, some of the best sledding in the province when we get the snow, otherwise golden, fernie about 4hr drive, revelstoke 5.5, valemont 6hrs or so. excellent outdoor sledding, quadding, camping within a 45minute drive, work is everywhere, best place on earth as far as i'm concerned.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
red deer is the best place to be in alberta, an hour to edmonton, calgary, some of the best sledding in the province when we get the snow, otherwise golden, fernie about 4hr drive, revelstoke 5.5, valemont 6hrs or so. excellent outdoor sledding, quadding, camping within a 45minute drive, work is everywhere, best place on earth as far as i'm concerned.

Agreed , born an raised ...can't imagine being anywhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X4.

Love BC...my Dad was a BC native so we spent a lot of holidays there. To this day I like BC to visit, but building my retirement house near RD.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes I have looked pretty hard at Red Deer. Is Blackfalds a decent little community? Looks like its on the outskirts just enough. Real estate was pretty reasonable there from what I looked at. Yeah a four hour drive is not a big deal. It's all relative. In our last spot, we were driving 4 hours one way just to go a doctor, dentist, groceries.

In your search you might also check out Okotoks, Airdrie and Cochrane areas. Excellent access to the foothills and mountains with the convenience of a major city with Alberta' air passenger hub less than an hour away. Sylvan Lake is another outdoor mecca summer and winter and Red Deer is nearby. Good luck.

Yes I have looked at Okotoks, Airdrie, and a bit at Cochrane. I've lived in Calgary before, so those seemed like decent options too. I've heard that Sylvan Lake can be popular with the white oakley crowd...true?

IMO North Okanagan or the Shuswap. Kelowna airport is close by (45 min from Armstrong). Salmon Arm, Vernon are over around 30,000 people and Kelowna is close to 200,000. All towns have their amenities. Yes it is more expensive to live in BC, but I learnt years ago that I would rather live where I love it rather than being miserable just to say I save more money on taxes. Money isnt everything. Like the Trooper song says......... "we are here for a good time not a long time".

Good luck in your decision!

I know Kelowna well too, and not really my cup of tea at all. Neither is Vernon. Salmon Arm wouldn't be bad.

x2.
If I ever move back to BC, either here or on Vancouver Island is where I would live.

Not enough snow on the Island! Although Mount Washington had some of the biggest bases when I was living near there. Ocean is nice, but the rain and damp cold got old to me. It was that type of cold that would take hours to warm up from. And so did paying $160 to get to and from the Mainland.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Alberta. Moved to Creston about 5 years ago. Its a tough call. I really miss Alberta some days. Miss the people, opportunity, low taxes, common sense, etc. But pretty amazing to wake up and look out the window at the skimmerhorn mountains 5km away. Unreal quadding, sledding, fishing, outdoor activities within half an hour of the house. I sure dont miss the 7 hour drives each way to go sledding. Here I wake up and decide if I want to go in the morning or not. Half an hour later the sled is back in the shop and Im sitting in my hot tub drinking a cold one. But it is much easier to make a comfortable living in Alberta. If you are in a position with your employment where it doesnt matter where you live I would definitely choose BC. I definitely dont make the same money I did in Alberta, but I sure do enjoy every day Im here.

Last edited:

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Central Alberta/Red Deer area is the place to be in Alberta, if you really wanna leave the Yukon. Was born in RD myself, grew up 40 minutes west. Snowmobiling, (never did much snowmobiling) camping, fishing, hunting, all right there, quadding was a measly hour drive away or less depending how many land owners ya knew! As the years go by seems everyone is in a huge hurry, but if ya take the backroads it's no worry.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Creston B C.... every outdoor sport you can imagine, a hospital, an hour to Cranbrook for canadian flights, an hour and a half (give or take a bit) to spokane washington for cheap US and overseas flights. Bonners ferry and sand point idaho half and hour south for cheap US fuel and groceries, and in coeurd'alene you can pick up the interstate for a quick trip to the coast, much quicker than going through BC.

The climate is almost identical to Kelowna in the summer, with similar winter temps in the valley bottom, with mega snow half an hour away in the higher altitudes. I've even got a 7.5 acre plot of land overlooking the wildlife centre I'll sell you !!!

Top Bottom