BC vs Alberta

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this outta create some interesting discussion. The gist is this:

I am due for a move in 3 years (need to have my mind sort of made up in 2 years), as part of my job. I can go basically anywhere I choose (province or territory wise). I am looking for you guys suggestions as to where some decent places to live are, as it seems everyone on here likes a similiar lifestyle. I am looking to move this time and stay there for quite a while.

My wish list is this:

• A good size, population wise. (10000 or more).
  • Obviously good sledding at the new place, or nearby (few hour drive is fine). Camping, hunting, quadding...
  • Half decent housing prices, property taxes.
  • Nice summers, snow in the winter.
  • Good schools. Things for kids to do outside of the outdoor stuff.
  • A reasonable drive to an airport.

I've lived in both BC and Alberta, (Southern Alberta, Vancouver Island, the Interior, Okanagan, now the Yukon)....I am torn where to go. Part of me says Alberta (5% tax, private insurance, health care...housing seems generally a bit cheaper). But its hard to argue with BC and the landscape. But it seems like its taxed to death.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?? Any insight you guys have, on perhaps were you have lived, or do live now, would be helpful!

Cheers mates :beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods (south eastern BC), the population is kind of restrictive for the wish list. Nothing down here with a population of the 100,000 and Cranbrook is the biggest at about 70,000. Personally, I wouldn't live in Cranbrook. There is an airport tho' and all the rest of the amenities are can be found in the valley. Small town flare but shopping is limited other than Cranbrook and that doesn't compare to Lethbridge.

So I'm thinking you can cross out the Kootenays.......:noidea:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
In my neck of the woods (south eastern BC), the population is kind of restrictive for the wish list. Nothing down here with a population of the 100,000 and Cranbrook is the biggest at about 70,000. Personally, I wouldn't live in Cranbrook. There is an airport tho' and all the rest of the amenities are can be found in the valley. Small town flare but shopping is limited other than Cranbrook and that doesn't compare to Lethbridge.

Pretty sure he wrote TEN THOUSAND... Or more

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I loved living in Lethbridge, but there are no positions there for me.

So we have two for Kootenays - Zero for Alberta. How is BC for taxation these days? Every time I travel there and shop whatever, my jaw hits the floor. Kootenays are such a nice area though.....frig.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then, Fernie, Cranbrook and Kimberly would fit in, as well as, Trail, Castlegar, and Nelson in the west Koot's.......

Will my children grow two heads living in Trail (Cominco Kids?) lol.

Nelson is out too. No jobs there in my line of work. Castlegar might be okay though.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't live in Trail, lots of nice places a short drive away though. I grew up in that area, it is Gods country for sure. It's just too bad it's taxed heavily and a bit left leaning for my taste. I'd go back but probably just end up following my kids to Ab in a few years down the road as the opportunities don't exist like they do in Ab.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you want to make good money and travel for recreation or make less and have all the recreation at your backdoor? I ask myself this everyday. So far I am happy in BC and starting to look for a move to a town with a bit more population but where recreation is still very accessible. I have my eye on the Salmon Arm area but there are very few employment opportunities for me there. Not sure your line of work but I'd guess RCMP or similar.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to Alberta, the cost of living is less and it's where the cash is. New hospitals, schools, great places/sports plexus being built for kids to play. Has a great looking future.

I love BC. ESP the okanagan but for me it's a no brainier to live in alberta. Bc is a awesome place to vist, own a second home or cottage. I will likely retire there pending the economy when that time comes.

Evryone wants to live in bc. That's why the housing prices are so high. They are now starting to come down or at least stop going up. Moving there now you will be buying a house at the top of the market or close to it which never turns out well.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We made the move to Prince George BC almost 2 years ago now from Central Alberta. I love everything about our lifestyle here in PG/BC except their communist corrupt government and ridiculous taxes that only seem to boost politician salaries versus go towards schools or health care. Makes a person sick to think about it...

On the other hand, we very much enjoy a city of 75,000 with a University and a strong college, state of the art hospital, plenty of sports, culture, fitness, activities, etc., When you wanna get away from the schmuck life downtown, there is the outdoors just a breath away. We live 10 minutes from town on 5 acres and literally walk out the door to do what we want. The sledding is unbelievable, my girls are outside constantly on some adventure or another and the lakes and swimming and camping opportunities are out of this world. The pace of life in BC is muuuuuuch slower than Alberta and it is very noticeable when we go back to Red Deer area to visit family!

Happy deciding my friend :)

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is the shuswap area. Moved there 2yrs ago and our family lives it. There's a little bit of everything in the area. I've heard the sledding and atving is awesome but do to my line of work don't get out much when I'm home. Been told by some friends that you can sled the mountains come down shoot a round if golf then hit the lake for some water skiing Down side is a bit gloomy in the winter the whole three months of it. Well that's my 2c about my little piece of paridice. Good luck

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I loved living in Lethbridge, but there are no positions there for me.

So we have two for Kootenays - Zero for Alberta. How is BC for taxation these days? Every time I travel there and shop whatever, my jaw hits the floor. Kootenays are such a nice area though.....frig.

Residential taxation isn't horrendous and it is cheaper than the Crowsnest. Consumer taxation is crazy but Alberta is close so Costco runs happen regularly. Right now the right is winning but Fernie is quite green and left leaning. All places seem down to earth and great to raise kids. Elkford/Sparwood have no shopping other than necessities (groceries, gas, liquor). With gas/diesel being so much cheaper in Alberta, it makes the trips worthwhile.

Warm and lots of snow but not as much as in Revelstoke/Sicamous. Warmer than Golden (IMHO). Summers are great that tend to blend well into September and October. I miss few days of sledding because of cold (I don't go if it is below -20C).

So I will lay that out there............:D

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We made the move to Prince George BC almost 2 years ago now from Central Alberta. I love everything about our lifestyle here in PG/BC except their communist corrupt government and ridiculous taxes that only seem to boost politician salaries versus go towards schools or health care. Makes a person sick to think about it...

On the other hand, we very much enjoy a city of 75,000 with a University and a strong college, state of the art hospital, plenty of sports, culture, fitness, activities, etc., When you wanna get away from the schmuck life downtown, there is the outdoors just a breath away. We live 10 minutes from town on 5 acres and literally walk out the door to do what we want. The sledding is unbelievable, my girls are outside constantly on some adventure or another and the lakes and swimming and camping opportunities are out of this world. The pace of life in BC is muuuuuuch slower than Alberta and it is very noticeable when we go back to Red Deer area to visit family!

Happy deciding my friend :)

I'm pretty familar with PG. That's generally what I heard is that outside of PG itself is the way to go. I have a friend in North Nechako and they speak highly of it. Is there air quality still the chits there?

Do you want to make good money and travel for recreation or make less and have all the recreation at your backdoor? I ask myself this everyday. So far I am happy in BC and starting to look for a move to a town with a bit more population but where recreation is still very accessible. I have my eye on the Salmon Arm area but there are very few employment opportunities for me there. Not sure your line of work but I'd guess RCMP or similar.

Yes, that is a huge toss up. I've been pretty spoiled the last few years with outdoor stuff at my doorstep. I used to fire up the sled in the garage and take off right from there. It was nice. That being said, having city amenities is nice, and something we have gone without for a number of years. I don't even have a grocery store where I am at now.

I work for the government in Statistics and Data Entry....:p

Residential taxation isn't horrendous and it is cheaper than the Crowsnest. Consumer taxation is crazy but Alberta is close so Costco runs happen regularly. Right now the right is winning but Fernie is quite green and left leaning. All places seem down to earth and great to raise kids. Elkford/Sparwood have no shopping other than necessities (groceries, gas, liquor). With gas/diesel being so much cheaper in Alberta, it makes the trips worthwhile.

Warm and lots of snow but not as much as in Revelstoke/Sicamous. Warmer than Golden (IMHO). Summers are great that tend to blend well into September and October. I miss few days of sledding because of cold (I don't go if it is below -20C).

So I will lay that out there............:D

Well run's aren't of the norm, but I am getting tired of them....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat.

We are looking at sicamouse or salmon arm.

Just seems where we would like to be.

Me and my dumb mouth on holidays through there last year.

Now the wife's on board.

I'm not 100% sure I am tho.

Going for a week to look around in Sept for places and jobs to see what there is.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Always good ole Whitecourt AB. Decent snow most winters for local riding. Hour north up goose tower by Swan Hills, one can find upwards of 10 ft. Have good riding in BC within 4 hours drive. Population of 10 thou + I believe. Some big box stores like Canadian tire, Wally World etc, and a couple Tim Horton's. Fairly well developed sub divisions around town for acreages. Can ride right out your garage door as well with a sled, seeing as they boast being the snowmobile Capitol of Alberta. Summer time with quads is different though from what I hear. Gotta load em up and haul them out. Jet boats on the Athabasca in the summer or the McLeod. Hour and half to Edmonton. Plenty to offer there. I just would live there myself cause the population is 10,000 + to many people for me.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look at Grande Prairie it offers pretty much everything. It has treated us very well for the past 12 years, just try not to get wrapped up in the I have to have everything brand new!

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom