Barb wire fence

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went for first ride the another weekend northwest of Darwell pull off the main trail to check the map got ready to go crack the throttle BAM on the ground turn out the right ski is wrap up in barb wire that hurt all week. There no base snow out there you got be careful out there

ram_ltd

Reaction score
There was a problem like that back where I grew up, the farmers would put up one single line of barb wire neck height at there entry to there field, kind of sick if you ask me

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PLEASE,PLEASE people,if your not familiar with an area,dont mess around.
Barbed wire stories make me ill.My mom volunteers at the Lloyd hospital,
she told me about a young girl that was in there last winter with her face
all stiched up.Apperently dad took her for a ride on his sled,she was sitting
infront of him and they went through a barbed wire fence.YUK..........
Where there are fields,there are fences.Please be carefull out there.

I rode on the Battle river 2 winters ago with my cousin,there was about 4 places
where farmers had wire across the river.1 place had posts,1 place had pink ribbon
on the wire.The other 2 was just a single wire 3' off of the ice.WTF. are these guys thinking?
Very very dangerous thing to do.

Last edited:

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what was at Alder Flats. We rode the creek couple winters ago and the farmers put wires across the creek. Its there to stop the cows or horses escaping as now they can walk across the creek or worse fall through. Short end is its there for a reason dont cut it down and if you dont know the area take it slow instead of getting very hurt

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kid I went to school with got caught up in a barb wire fence and lost his life. 19 years old. If I'm ever in a field, it's always something I look for.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what was at Alder Flats. We rode the creek couple winters ago and the farmers put wires across the creek. Its there to stop the cows or horses escaping as now they can walk across the creek or worse fall through. Short end is its there for a reason dont cut it down and if you dont know the area take it slow instead of getting very hurt

I'm not interested at going to war with farmers anywhere,BUT if they dont have the desire to fence the backside of their
property ( Ex.where it follows a river)That doesnt give them the right to string wire across a river.The farmer that did it,
but at least had posts every 15' all the way across the ice,I respect as well of course as the guy that wrapped the wire
in pink ribbon.I have a problem with the guy that ran a single wire in 2 places .That is a stupid,ignorant thing to do.
No body of water that I am aware of can be owned by anyone in Canada ,it is crown land.Either way,dont matter.
A single unmarked wire is a very dangerous thing.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my 4th hit with barb wire the 1st was wire across a trail with post in the bush I was 12 yrs old 2nd was a gentle rub manage to get barb pin striping on one side of the sled 3rd was wire pull across the sturgeon river got real lucky on that one and then this past weekend wrap around my right ski .That's 4 hits to many in 40 seasons

Jeff Braap Woginowski

Reaction score
I hit one when I was a kid. It was an electric fence but a fence. I was lucky I just stood up and put a knee on the seat the I felt a tug. Looked over when I heard a twang and I was thrown off. It hit me in the chest. I was bruised up bad but I was alive. Becarful guys and gals.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hit one when I was a kid. It was an electric fence but a fence. I was lucky I just stood up and put a knee on the seat the I felt a tug. Looked over when I heard a twang and I was thrown off. It hit me in the chest. I was bruised up bad but I was alive. Becarful guys and gals.

I live in a farming area and own a farm. Even though I sled the entire area every year, I make it a point to ride the first few rides in our commonly used areas during the daylight. The farming landscape changes contantly as new grazing leases are developed and farmers put up new fence. Property changes hands and so on.
I never blast through any areas at night until I make a day trip through the area first. A guy just never knows what has changed from one year to the next.

farm2sled

Reaction score
If your riding through or on private property hit a fence and mess yourself up there's only one person you can blame! There's not many farmers looking to kill someone on a sled with a piece of wire, more likely they are trying to water stock, stop stock from getting on the ice, or keeping stock in winter pastures so your dumb ass don't hit them on the road. We make our living in the country caring for livestock and land, working most every day to feed the pricks that think it's their God given right to do what ever they want where ever they see fit to do it. It's really too bad some people can't see past their own nose.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a problem like that back where I grew up, the farmers would put up one single line of barb wire neck height at there entry to there field, kind of sick if you ask me

I see you are from cold lake and its weird you mention that. I have a buddy in cold lake and his girlfriend hit a barbed wire fence one night years ago. 21 stitches across her neck and chin. Luckily him and some other people were riding with her or she would have bled out real quick. She's lucky it never cut her head right off.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm not interested at going to war with farmers anywhere,BUT if they dont have the desire to fence the backside of their
property ( Ex.where it follows a river)That doesnt give them the right to string wire across a river.The farmer that did it,
but at least had posts every 15' all the way across the ice,I respect as well of course as the guy that wrapped the wire
in pink ribbon.I have a problem with the guy that ran a single wire in 2 places .That is a stupid,ignorant thing to do.
No body of water that I am aware of can be owned by anyone in Canada ,it is crown land.Either way,dont matter.
A single unmarked wire is a very dangerous thing.

Wow, I would have never thought that someone would do this for whatever reason. I don't think it's right or fair whatever the reason. This certainly can't be legal for them to do, can it?

rgashkei

Reaction score
I am sure most farmers would never put up something to purposely hurt a sledder. But when you are putting up fence in the summer the last thing you are thinking of is sledders in the winter. As far as the wire across the creek, could have been there to send power across to another pasture. Did you stop and flag it for the next guy?
I pretty much stop anywhere there looks like it might have a fence, if there are posts I will look 10 times before crossing. Be careful.

Titan

Reaction score
I live in a farming area and own a farm. Even though I sled the entire area every year, I make it a point to ride the first few rides in our commonly used areas during the daylight. The farming landscape changes contantly as new grazing leases are developed and farmers put up new fence. Property changes hands and so on.
I never blast through any areas at night until I make a day trip through the area first. A guy just never knows what has changed from one year to the next.

I carry flagging tape for this very reason....find em and MARK EM

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some guys that put up a fence are not worried about how it will inconvenience the guys out sledding.And on the other hand guys out sledding will show no respect for a fence either if it crosses a sled trail by cutting it etc.I agree that the ones crossing creeks and rivers should be marked just because that would be the proper thing to do!But everyone out sledding should remember if it is fenced that is someone's property and you probably are trespassing unless a club has a trail across it!And even if you are trespassing with your sled and get hurt on someone's place and you have a greasy enough lawyer you can probably sue the land owner.That's why a lot of places are getting fenced off and clubs are having a harder time for land use for trails.But if everyone would take it easy on their first ride in an area for the season would be the smart thing to do!

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the doctor that stitched my head back on stopped countin at 300 stitches,,but my incident was no fault to any farmer,,it was my own,,heavily intoxicated and rippin around 100 mph on my dirtbike at night,,,some just learn the hard way!!

Top Bottom