Baofeng radios

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the BCA, as I haven't had any bad experiences with them. To anyone who has had good luck with BF, that's great.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I do. I'm calling them crap, because of my experience with them. Again, out of every group there always seems to some that are only working one way, constant feedback through other radios, not working at all. They are a cheap radio period. Would YOU run a Beofeng beacon?
And those Baofeng that aren't working did they get them from me? I doubt it because out of the thousands I sell each season I get like 1 or 2 back. You put a shitty mic on one of their cheaper models and then think the one I sell are crap then you have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you give Carl a call and tell him the radios he uses are crap.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy bro, don't get your balaclava in a knot. I don't have a problem telling Carl BF radios suck. You really think name dropping is going to change my mind? Maybe you have sourced some that your having success with. Glad to hear it. Also glad to hear your backing a product you sell and believe in, but how many BF are out there that are junk? So, for ALL the guys that haven't bought from YOU. BF radios suck.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Between friends, family, and local club members I can count probably upwards of 50 Baofeng radios in use around here both winter and summer. All of them are the cheap UV5R's too. Not one failure. Yup, I'd use their beacon if they made one. I've had two of those from BCA that failed.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Baofeng works just fine, same for everyone I know that has one.

It sucks buying Chinese, but I don't know where else you'd find a comparable radio in the same ballpark for price.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure like my Baofeng.
I started taking it on long road trips as well. Tuned in on LADD1.
Listen in and chat with some truckers. Makes the long drive less boring.
Also find out road reports and hazards ahead

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We all have Rays radios as well. The only issue we have is when we have 2 users that are on a custom bca channel that we have to match the frequency. We now have a cheat sheet that helps most of the time. But I prefer our own custom set up channel, we never have any others on the same channel. Also my radio is in a Tupperware container in my avy bag.

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy bro, don't get your balaclava in a knot. I don't have a problem telling Carl BF radios suck. You really think name dropping is going to change my mind? Maybe you have sourced some that your having success with. Glad to hear it. Also glad to hear your backing a product you sell and believe in, but how many BF are out there that are junk? So, for ALL the guys that haven't bought from YOU. BF radios suck.
I can hear loggers calling km from like 40 km away with mine lol seems pretty good to me

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyways thanks for your comments. I will probably sell an extras 50 radios this week because of them!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive had a few different baofeng radios, i like them.

I have had lots of different radios.
These are cheap, they are programmable.

I dont ride with a mic any more. And i barely pull out of my pack. Hardly use the radio.

I just try to stay with my riding partner(s)

Good to have though, need it sometimes.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would expect a 1000$ radio to be better forsure.

Id take the baofeng radio over a bca radio any day though. And its half the price.

Last edited:

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the baofeng radio (from Ray=RGM) and also the bca, both work good. For people thinking they need something that is better but way more cost so they get more distance shouldn't your group be together? If these radios don't give you enough distance then your not riding as a group. For people starting out in this sport it get's expensive enough without having to spend extra on expensive radios when these have been tested and work. As Ray mentioned there are different versions of the baofeng and this could be the difference if they work or not imo

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I do. I'm calling them crap, because of my experience with them. Again, out of every group there always seems to some that are only working one way, constant feedback through other radios, not working at all. They are a cheap radio period. Would YOU run a Beofeng beacon?
If your having problems with your Baofengs it's most likely not programmed for the application. If you purchased it from a general distributor it will likely have their generic program.
I believe the one sold by the dude on here are set up before sent out, only he can answer that.
The ones I have had to be setup or I got constant feedback and squelching issues. Its not a big deal, you can get the program free off the net but you do need to buy a USB adapter cord, its like $25. This allows you to customize your radio and more importantly reset the squelch setting from factory or what ever its set too.
I loan these radios regularly to people that have never used one and never experience a problem. Wrong, I have experience minor keying problem's on one particular radio and found it was a poor pin connection, used dielectric grease, fixed.
But you are correct on a few things that may be resolved, it is a $50 radio what more do you want. This is S&M don't disrupt the flow with your experiences. No S&Mudder likes an outlier.

Last edited:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And those Baofeng that aren't working did they get them from me? I doubt it because out of the thousands I sell each season I get like 1 or 2 back. You put a shitty mic on one of their cheaper models and then think the one I sell are crap then you have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you give Carl a call and tell him the radios he uses are crap.
We got our bad batch from you, I’m not typing this as a bitch fest but an FYI that some of your radios have problems.

But I didn’t personally place the order, (my cousins, buddies, dad ordered a batch of 12) so when I reached out to you inquiring about our problems, you couldn’t find my order history, and I don’t know the actual purchaser that well so I cut my loses.

Of the 12 radios from that order all 4 that my sledding buddy and I received had issues from day 1. Bad connection or misalignment in the mic jack of those radios. You could hear people call you but the Shoulder mic would not transmit back. Mic only worked with heavy side pressure pushing on the mic connector into the radio. So they obviously never worked once you put them in a back pack.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think for the price point these are a pretty reasonable product. I have bought from RGM and a couple others and they have all delivered a good product. I use mine year round and have not had any issues. That being said I have learned that you should take the time to understand how the programming works and that the mic connection can be the weak point. Like Teth Air I also carry a Garmin Rino as a backup but rarely use it. Way better than the old days with the crappy Walmart Motorolas.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got our bad batch from you, I’m not typing this as a bitch fest but an FYI that some of your radios have problems.

But I didn’t personally place the order, (my cousins, buddies, dad ordered a batch of 12) so when I reached out to you inquiring about our problems, you couldn’t find my order history, and I don’t know the actual purchaser that well so I cut my loses.

Of the 12 radios from that order all 4 that my sledding buddy and I received had issues from day 1. Bad connection or misalignment in the mic jack of those radios. You could hear people call you but the Shoulder mic would not transmit back. Mic only worked with heavy side pressure pushing on the mic connector into the radio. So they obviously never worked once you put them in a back pack.
BOOM!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cousins buddies dad? Ya probably hard to get a refund on a deal like that Haha

20220109_090033.jpg

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some scetchy 12 radio deal isn’t really a good example, I wouldn’t ever go in on that, I’d just order my own,then he coulda got new ones or tried harder to get the original receipt aswel.
Ya I’m probably making it up!

Attachments

• B6BA342B-68C2-4549-A17A-31AFD4C5231D.jpeg
    B6BA342B-68C2-4549-A17A-31AFD4C5231D.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 121
Top Bottom