Backcountry GPS choice

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm not sure what elevation interval you been looking at on topo maps, but they will definitely show a 50ft drop, crevace maybe not. although you would have to be reading your map to see it, and may then miss it. my gps has the topo maps with 3m intervals, so if ya know how to read the thing you should see the drop off, again a guy may miss it, a white out is a dangerous situation to be in. i bent a brake lever in half in one, i'll sit and wait next time.

To be honest with you Im not that great with my GPS...lol Dont use it that much. But if you can spot a 50ft cliff with yours then wow thats pretty impressive.:beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be honest with you Im not that great with my GPS...lol Dont use it that much. But if you can spot a 50ft cliff with yours then wow thats pretty impressive.:beer:

that is when the lines look like a bigger black line, same as hill climbs, ya just have to use em lots. but when your sled riding a quick glance would be hard to see

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The nice thing about riding new areas and using the GPS is the tracking and way point feature. Turn on the tracking and mark WayPoints throughout the day. If the weather turns chitty or you get turned around use the "TrackBack" feature and follow the trail back. Might be slow and nerve wracking, but it will get you back to the beginning.

I have been in areas that I ride weekly, a heavy snow comes in and your fresh trail is covered. No land marks as visibility is the pits. You realize that you are going around in circles and down isn't always where one wants to go. A kilometer can be a long way working through the thick trees and if one has a track saved and some waypoints the way out can be a lot easier.

As I said on page one, the Rhino 600 series deserves serious research. Then get out and use it daily or with every ride. Put the data on your computer and then open up new areas on GoogleEarth. You will be impressed.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The nice thing about riding new areas and using the GPS is the tracking and way point feature. Turn on the tracking and mark WayPoints throughout the day. If the weather turns chitty or you get turned around use the "TrackBack" feature and follow the trail back. Might be slow and nerve wracking, but it will get you back to the beginning.

I have been in areas that I ride weekly, a heavy snow comes in and your fresh trail is covered. No land marks as visibility is the pits. You realize that you are going around in circles and down isn't always where one wants to go. A kilometer can be a long way working through the thick trees and if one has a track saved and some waypoints the way out can be a lot easier.

As I said on page one, the Rhino 600 series deserves serious research. Then get out and use it daily or with every ride. Put the data on your computer and then open up new areas on GoogleEarth. You will be impressed.

Excellent point Fernie, doesn't matter how much technology you pack around. It's useless if you don't know how to use it!

Thegeneral

Top Bottom