Avy Tips

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I was wondering if some of you experienced mountain guys and people that have recently took an avy course could post some tips and techniques on things to watch out for as we may be going into an above average dangerous season,from what I've been told. It might minimize the danger for some of us that haven't had a chance to brush up on our skills...:D

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the very least try to take the 2 - 3 hour avalanche class from Zaks Traks you can check their schedule on their web site ZacsTracs. By your post its sounds like you have not purchased any avalanche safety equipment? All I can say if you are riding in avalanche terrain get the safety equipment; beacon,probe and shovel and learn how to use them!! Try to ride with partners who are familiar with the terrain you are riding in and are also trained in avalanche safety. One last thing if you just dropped $ 12,000 - $ 14,000 on a sled you should be prepared to drop $ 500.00- $ 700.00 on avalanche safety gear!!! Just my :twocents: worth

Billy Boy:cool:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I carry all state of the art avy gear and have attended an avy course in the past. I started this threat in hopes that people will share there thoughts and experiences for all the "new to mountains" people that haven't had training or know the proper euipment to use but are still out there riding. I was up in the renshaw a couple weekends ago and helped a couple out of a bind that didn't even have a shovel with them.

spike

Reaction score
My top two, I sure there are more.
Make sure all your group is avy equipped, and knows how to use the stuff inside out.
Heed the warnings from the avy centre.
www.avalanche.ca

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what you are getting at and understand that shared knowledge on a site like this would be valuable but I can't emphasize enough about the importance of riding with an experienced group thus allowing you to watch and learn. Alot of that knowledge that you will learn cannot be put into print, I guess what I am trying to say is it is alot of hands on experience. I know when I started to ride in the mountains it scares the hell out me to think where I was riding with no avy experience and no proper equipment and the group I was was riding with had limited mountain experience and no avy safety equipment. What also helped is that I joined the local snowmobile club and one of their yearly events is to have a short avy course and beacon training and one of the rules when we go on a club ride in avy territory is everyone has to have the safety equipment and minimal training. I also have just completed the two day avy course which is worth much more than the
$ 200 I spent on it, the on site training is well worth it you learn so much because you are dealing with hands on training.

Billy Boy:cool:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure how much time I got but I could make this a book.First off establish who knows what in your group,you may want to pick a leader( the guy with the most avy saftey and rescue knowledge,not the guy who has been to the mountains 400 times and still knows nothing)All the knoledge in the world wont help you in rescue efforts if you cannot find the victim.Therefore beacon knowledge and most important PRACTISE with the beacon.I've found single searches are fairly easy as I have done lots of practising and considered myself pretty good with a beacon but how many that have practised have done multiple searches.This is a very different senario and the beacons are a little more complicated and can through you off if you dont know how they react.I will add one very important thing to watch out for as that was the reason for starting this thread....TERRAIN TRAPS!
Ride Hard..........Ride Safe!
catmando!

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go to Zac's Tracs website, there are links to free online courses that one can take. Certainly not as good as the classroom but also still a good step.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catmando is right, if it is a v drainage and it breaks loose you get the snow from all sides. An open slope at least you only tackle the snow above you and not beside you. A four foot avalanche may be a 12 foot deep avalanche in the drainage. Look at the trees!! if they are stunted and beaten up its gets regular avalanches. If you want to climb make sure there is an out at the bottom. If there is a pile of bush at the bottom and you hafto get out fast you cant and if it carrys you into those trees...well!!...Test the snow out by sidehilling a safer more manageable slop, see if you can make it slide before you tackle the bigger slopes..the steepest slopes are not always the most dangerous...what I mean is some of the steeper slopes may slide as the snow builds...versus building up in layers..

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can not beat taking the course and the field training. GET the best gear possible(this includes an avy bag), KNOW how to use it . Beyond this you should have first aid CPR training. Those who have taken the course know you can't start to include even the course highlights on this thread. What's your life/family worth to you??? I know what mines worth and if you can't save me you can't ride with me. I think all of Zacs students understand this:twocents:

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya your right but that does not mean some advice would not be valuable. Anything that may help is worth it..it never hurts to talk about it. It is no substitute for formal training but if we each have some advice so be it

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Absolutly..take the online course read whatever material you can find and then practice when you're out in the hills. you have to start somewhere, the course is just a really good place to start. Once you know someone who has taken training the info spreads quickly. Our group has been riding together for about 7 years and there are always new people riding with us. We believe in good gear and training and push the newbies in this direction. Definatly don't want to stop the sharing of info.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Absolutly..take the online course read whatever material you can find and then practice when you're out in the hills. you have to start somewhere, the course is just a really good place to start. Once you know someone who has taken training the info spreads quickly. Our group has been riding together for about 7 years and there are always new people riding with us. We believe in good gear and training and push the newbies in this direction. Definatly don't want to stop the sharing of info.

Keep Pushin Snochuk................I'm with ya all the way!
I think next year I'm going to try and sell out a class of Snowand mud members next year to Zacs Tracks.Do the class and the field together as a group.I was a lonely guy this year!
catmando!

slabm7

Reaction score
Here is a link to a good online course from the Avalanche Association, its a good start but definetly take a certified course.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Thanks for posting that link. Although I've taken an Avy class I plan to update myself and my son by taking this course before we ride at Christmas.
With Avy Risks being high and it looks like it will stay that way all season it's a good course to take.
Thanks again.
Here is a link to a good online course from the Avalanche Association, its a good start but definetly take a certified course.

Top Bottom