Avalanche and sledder

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Climbing hill with rocks all over like that on a warm day, should have took an AST course.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Climbing hill with rocks all over like that on a warm day, should have took an AST course.

Seriously!! Your saying this? You obviously need to further your training.. Rocks and sunny... Com'n... One guy climbs a hill with his group in a safe spot may not the perfict spot but still. with eyes on him! With no huge terrain trap at the bottom! We don't know the snow pack, or what the weather has been doing there or what made that guy decide that the slope was safe or not. Up to him what his risk levels may be what he wants to ride. Looks well executed other then the miss judge of stability.
You guys on here will say looks like these guys need a ast... When a group of 17 people is involved in a side with a big trap at the bottom, which God bless took the lives of 5 good people that didn't have happen. But no one will say anything. But this was a multiple mistake bad decision event, that could of had a different out come if some of the same practices were followed in the video above. RIP

Thunder101

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link. good video. His one buddy with the camera on was trying to watch where the rider was washed to.

snowthing

Reaction score
Just pointing this out incase anyone misses it this video is from February 13,2015. Not an avalanche from this season!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just pointing this out incase anyone misses it this video is from February 13,2015. Not an avalanche from this season!

And your point ?
I posted it knowing this and IMO these guys did things right for the most part.
Everyone's a expert after the fact looking at a video?
Video was for more awareness and nothing more.
Cheers

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Actually he did a lot of things wrong! Going right up the guts the first run is just asking for it, testing out the hill further over to sledders right and going low and then working through this would have been a much smarter plan. Wearing an any pack as well and did not set it off, this is happening more and more, don't wait to see how it goes and try to ride it out, pull bag then try and ride out. 25-28% in the last three years that were caught had an any pack and did not deploy it...dont wait, pull the bag. His buddies did a great job of getting to him quick and clearing his face and chest...nice work.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think his helmet strap was done up...or he had a really good quick release.

Last edited:

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually he did a lot of things wrong! Going right up the guts the first run is just asking for it, testing out the hill further over to sledders right and going low and then working through this would have been a much smarter plan. Wearing an any pack as well and did not set it off, this is happening more and more, don't wait to see how it goes and try to ride it out, pull bag then try and ride out. 25-28% in the last three years that were caught had an any pack and did not deploy it...dont wait, pull the bag. His buddies did a great job of getting to him quick and clearing his face and chest...nice work.
much agreed Dave. I just don't understand why guys would ride those slopes when there is so much low lying slopes and trees to ride which have lower risk of Avalanche occurring.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To me that looked pretty innocent and nine out of ten times would of been ok.. Been on many slopes similar to that or steaper..

Few things stick out here.. Pretty sure they climbed a few other places earlier and had a feel for the conditions Dave.. No one climbs a hill knowing it will come down..

Have had had this happen to me before and there is always things I could of done different after it happening but what I know is, I have had slides threw trees coming down, slides up rock faces comming down.. Know one knows when or where it will happen to you, but when doing what we do, it is always a risk..

as as for not deploying the Avalanche bag once again, I have one but truly believe they don't help much in the scope of things.. If you have the time to think of pulling it, your real lucky, because it does not take long to be out of control rolling..

shlt happens in this sport and this can happen to anyone in a day in the mountains.. Other than losing his helmet, is all I see wrong.. Be prepared for when it does

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously!! Your saying this? You obviously need to further your training.. Rocks and sunny... Com'n... One guy climbs a hill with his group in a safe spot may not the perfict spot but still. with eyes on him! With no huge terrain trap at the bottom! We don't know the snow pack, or what the weather has been doing there or what made that guy decide that the slope was safe or not. Up to him what his risk levels may be what he wants to ride. Looks well executed other then the miss judge of stability.
You guys on here will say looks like these guys need a ast... When a group of 17 people is involved in a side with a big trap at the bottom, which God bless took the lives of 5 good people that didn't have happen. But no one will say anything. But this was a multiple mistake bad decision event, that could of had a different out come if some of the same practices were followed in the video above. RIP

Ya I am serious. Looks like that slope was being hit by the sun all day and look at the amount of rock faces, even more under the snow likely. I'd take some pokes at that hill, but wouldn't go blasting up the middle of all the rock. The people that passed were NOT high marking. They were traveling a common path to one area. It's and El Niño year and if you look at the stats this is the worst time for avy deaths, be safe out there people.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the incident jan 29 was bad timing. pinch point for in and out of the back riding area. group 1 got stuck on hill that is an exit and entrance, group 2 arrive seconds after the stuck to leave area and had to wait for the stuck to get free, because you should never climb a hill where there is already one stuck, RIGHT, group 3 and 4 arrive to enter the back riding area seconds after, stop on bench above to wait for the stuck rider to free himself. they were not highmarking, just wanting to leave. you could not have planned a worse case sonario.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the incident jan 29 was bad timing. pinch point for in and out of the back riding area. group 1 got stuck on hill that is an exit and entrance, group 2 arrive seconds after the stuck to leave area and had to wait for the stuck to get free, because you should never climb a hill where there is already one stuck, RIGHT, group 3 and 4 arrive to enter the back riding area seconds after, stop on bench above to wait for the stuck rider to free himself. they were not highmarking, just wanting to leave. you could not have planned a worse case sonario.
any word on what the trigger was? Natural release from cornice above etc. ?

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
much agreed Dave. I just don't understand why guys would ride those slopes when there is so much low lying slopes and trees to ride which have lower risk of Avalanche occurring.
Hi Dale it's important not rely on trees completely. Yes they anchor the slab, but they also can preserve frost for longer periods which can lead to higher instability then the alpine. Look forward to riding with you next year in the Ast 2

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Copy and pasted.
WOW

"We've heard about not having 2 people on the hill at a time. How about SEVEN? I took this picture on Sunday afternoon from across the valley. The riders were on the south facing side of Mount Jefferson in Island Park.

If you're one of the riders pictured, please get some avalanche training!"

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Copy and pasted.
WOW

"We've heard about not having 2 people on the hill at a time. How about SEVEN? I took this picture on Sunday afternoon from across the valley. The riders were on the south facing side of Mount Jefferson in Island Park.

That's pretty neat! Good lord..

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Copy and pasted.
WOW

Reminds me of the shooting stars video from thunderstruck

Oh wait, mabe that's where they got it that's OK to do

That's asking for every single one to die right there

Good lord is right

Top Bottom