AV gas

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Av is a100?? Is that a research actane # or motor # or pump#???? I know that for myself there is no way i would ever run av in a sled that had even 14:1.... Where are you getting your info from?

YOU CAN GET AVIATION FUEL IN SEVERAL GRADES.... LIKE I SAID BEFORE, 95 TO ALMOST 115 OCTANE.........SEVERAL MANUFACTURERS HAVE SEVERAL GRADES AVAILABLE. I BELIEVE P/CAN HAS 3 GRADES AVAILABLE THEMSELVES. IF YOU WANT MORE INFO I CAN FIND OUT TOMORROW!!!!!????

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YOU CAN GET AVIATION FUEL IN SEVERAL GRADES.... LIKE I SAID BEFORE, 95 TO ALMOST 115 OCTANE.........SEVERAL MANUFACTURERS HAVE SEVERAL GRADES AVAILABLE. I BELIEVE P/CAN HAS 3 GRADES AVAILABLE THEMSELVES. IF YOU WANT MORE INFO I CAN FIND OUT TOMORROW!!!!!????

Chill out.... All's i was asking is what # that is, is it a research, motor or pump octane rating!!!

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100 LL is 100 motor octane that comes right from the guys at the shell bulk station.I run it in my turbo with no problems.I would sooner pay $1.45 a liter verses $2.50 a liter and still have to mix it with premium.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Av is a100?? Is that a research actane # or motor # or pump#???? I know that for myself there is no way i would ever run av in a sled that had even 14:1.... Where are you getting your info from?

100 motor octane. I realize guys who sell race gas are not going to be fans of av gas, but it is a much cheaper alternative. I get my info from one of the more well respected engine builders in the country. off topic i rode with jeff and his Turbo 1000 yesterday in Westridge, goes pretty good.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on. Yah it took a little bit to get some issues worked out with it but he says it's workin good now.. When it comes to fuel i just get very leary. I look at the fact that i know people that have been told that this fuel is the same as what they have been using so they try it and then it takes out a motor.. (not neccecarily referring to av). If a person wants to run av that is there perogative. Myself i will stick with the fuel thats made to be ran under 10,000ft.. It dont matter to me if it costs more..

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT, GLENN. I USED TO RUN LOTS OF PETRO- CANADA GAS STATIONS, AND NOW JUST OWN THE 1 SHOP. USED TO BUY A LOT OF AV GAS FOR FRIENDS WITH RACE CARS AND PLANES. I AGREE, THAT AV GAS TRULY IS DESIGNED FOR A DIFFERENT APPLICATION. JUST LIKE RUNNING AN OIL OR RUNNING A "SYNTHETIC" OIL.... DIFFERENT PRODUCTS FOR DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS.... WHY TAKE THE CHANCE OF POPPING SOMETHING, JUST BECAUSE THE FUEL(WHICH IS DESIGNED FOR AVIATION MOSTLY ABOVE 10,000FT) MIGHT BE A LITTLE CHEAPER??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree there. I know that back in BC my buddies run av in there stock sleds, but the main resaen is that they know it's fresh.. The prem back in the small town i moved from didnt really sell all summer so it boiled down to a simple thing of how good was the premium that you were buying.. And no one in that area sells race fuel of any kind, you have to travel like 2-3hrs to get it. And then those guys sell it for a stupid price... A couple of my buddies have actually come over here and bought drums and taken them back cause it's way cheaper... I'm not sure why but it's like 100-150 cheaper per drum... Shipping cost i guess...LOL...

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy av gas in Golden at the airport. The pumps there are all automated(credit card)

Do not drive over to the pump, pack your jerrys over.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Here is some info I pulled off the NET.

Racing Gasoline Verses Aviation Gasoline
written by, and thanks to
Tim Wusz
76 Products Company

I am going to attempt to address the controversy of aviation gasoline verses racing gasoline for use in race cars. Some racers use aviation gasoline which is fine for some applications but does have shortcomings. There are several grades of aviation gasoline (avgas) that we must identify before going any farther.

1. Avgas 80/87: this product is used in low compression ratio aircraft engines, contains little or no lead, is red in color, and should not be used in any automotive engine due to a low motor octane number of about 80.

2. Avgas 100/130: this product that can be used in some automotive engines. It has both research and motor octane numbers slightly over 100. Avgas 100/130 is green in color, contains four grams of lead per gallon, and is becoming harder to find.

3. Avgas 100 LL: the LL stands for "low-lead" which means two grams per gallon, low compared to the avgas 100/130 that it was designed to replace. It has research and motor octane numbers very similar to the 100/130 product previously discussed. The color is blue. This product sometimes has a high level of aromatics which can contribute to lazy throttle response and dissatisfaction of the consumer.

4. Avgas 115/145: this product was developed for high performance piston aircraft engines used in world war II and in the Korean war. It is very hard to find anymore due to lack of demand although it is of very high octane quality. The color is purple.

The remainder of this discussion will assume that our basis for comparison with racing gasoline is avgas 100/130 and/or 100 LL since they are both available and have acceptable octane quality for limited applications. When the word "avgas" is used, it will refer to avgas 100/130 or 100 LL.
Avgas is less dense than most racing gasolines. Instead of weighing about 6.1 to 6.3 pounds per gallon like racing gasoline, it weighs 5.8 to 5.9 pounds per gallon. The racer must compensate for this by changing to richer (larger) jets in the carburetor when changing from racing gasoline to avgas.

The other major difference is octane quality. Avgas is short on octane compared to most racing gasolines. Many racing engines with "quick" spark advance curves or with no centrifugal advance have more spark advance at low rpm than avgas and some racing gasolines can handle. The result is detonation, especially during caution periods in circle track racing because all of the spark advance is "in", rpm is low, and part throttle air fuel ratios are too lean for the operating conditions. If the driver does not "work" the throttle back and forth, pistons can be "burned" which melts away part of the aluminum piston material. Inadequate octane quality is one of the quickest ways to destroy an engine. Pistons can be severely damaged during one acceleration where detonation is present and the racer may not know what is happening until it is too late.

For maximum performance and power from a racing engine, racing gasoline will normally provide better performance than avgas. Avgas can be a good gasoline for some applications, but since most racers do not know the octane requirement of their engines, they would be better off with a "real" racing gasoline that will give them the overall resistance to detonation that they need to protect their investment. If someone has spent from $15,000 to $50,000 or more on their racing engine, it is foolish to cut corners on gasoline be sure you have a gasoline with adequate octane quality.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know in this whole discusion my only point was the fact that if you spend a bunch of money on building a sled why would you cheap out on your fuel.. Thats what makes and keeps everything going.. Is it worth trying to get away with a cheaper fuel if you burn down your motor.. That can cost you a couple of grand depending on how bad it is, so how far ahead are you then..

Top Bottom