Autotrader Names 10 Best Electric Cars for 2021

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn’t picking the best electric car kinda like deciding which Venereal disease is the one to have?

Electric cars do have their place. If I was living in a city, ie Vancouver, and didnt ever get past Abbotsford, then why not? They are a good alternative in that situation. But for myself, and obviously many others on here, they do not fit our life styles at all.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric cars do have their place. If I was living in a city, ie Vancouver, and didnt ever get past Abbotsford, then why not? They are a good alternative in that situation. But for myself, and obviously many others on here, they do not fit our life styles at all.

Yeah if you’re going any further than the local grocery store you’re going to definitely be stuck somewhere with a dead battery.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Also need good access to a charger, so rules out probably 90% of households.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are definitely popular in Vancouver. There is tons of Teslas down here.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could see myself owning one if I lived in the city. I'm not a car guy unless its a muscle car. I like my trucks and fossil fuels are my choice at this time.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time remembering to plug in my diesel in the winter. Be needing my EV and battery be dead. Lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could see myself owning one if I lived in the city. I'm not a car guy unless its a muscle car. I like my trucks and fossil fuels are my choice at this time.

Yeah me too. Have seen quite a few HellCats down here, and thats more my style. lol

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are gonna get a test drive when I come to grab that can.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. Only 1% of Canadian households have electricity.

Are you really that dumb?

Here is what you need to make a EV charger at home viable. Heated garage, unless you don't drive in the winter, and a dedicated 220v plug. 90% of households in Canada do not have those things. Even if you take out the heated garage, it doesn't change a lot as most don't have access to a 220 plug, unless people are going to start pulling out stoves or dryers and use those plugs. I would wager at least in Alberta, 90% of households don't have a 220 plug outside of those two things. Even if you could add a plug in many homes, most don't have the panel to support the load because they only have a 100 amp panel. Even if you had a panel that can support it, most subdivisions do not have the power to support a ton of EV. Also do you have any idea how many people live in multi-family places in Canada?

EV are a good idea in commiefornia. EV are suitable in Canada for a very small niche market and that's it.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here is what you need to make a EV charger at home viable. Heated garage, unless you don't drive in the winter, and a dedicated 220v plug. 90% of households in Canada do not have those things. Even if you take out the heated garage, it doesn't change a lot as most don't have access to a 220 plug, unless people are going to start pulling out stoves or dryers and use those plugs. I would wager at least in Alberta, 90% of households don't have a 220 plug outside of those two things. Even if you could add a plug in many homes, most don't have the panel to support the load because they only have a 100 amp panel. Even if you had a panel that can support it, most subdivisions do not have the power to support a ton of EV. Also do you have any idea how many people live in multi-family places in Canada?

EV are a good idea in commiefornia. EV are suitable in Canada for a very small niche market and that's it.
Not sure even for Commiefornia. Lots of brown and blackouts there in the summer now when everyone is ramped up on juice for their air conditioners. Gonna need some huge infrastructure change IMO.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’m an electrician.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shhhhh, dont let jhurkot hear you, might have to throw some snide backhanded remark your way. Doesnt seem to have to ability to recognize that others have differing opinions.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Electric cars just like all the other “green” initiatives look good on the surface and in the propaganda their promoters produce, but when the numbers are crunched and reality sets in, they don’t quite make the grade.

Top Bottom