Are there any MAC users

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
My wifes desktop cratered yesterday so I ran into the city today and picked up a new apple i.mac. I am really lost on this thing and I hope I can get a handle on it before the wife gets home and starts asking questions :eek: Seems like a handy unit so far but how do I get the web pages to appear full screen? I can't figure it out. I have the 20" version. Please give me some tips before I get killed for not buying a PC :D

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm good with computers but not so hot with the Mac's I think if you double click the top bar of your safari browser it should still go full screen. don't quote me on that though. it's been YEARS since I've touched a mac

Anthony

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm good with computers but not so hot with the Mac's I think if you double click the top bar of your safari browser it should still go full screen. don't quote me on that though. it's been YEARS since I've touched a mac

I use a mac... clicking the top bad minimizes it to the right corner.

Click the little green button on the left hand side beside the red an orange button... then drag the bottom right corner of the Safari Web browser page over until its the size you want it to be.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Ok I got the browser to work with me now does anyone know what software I'm going to need to use with my external driver to transfer data? maybe iwork? All the data I backed up on my external drive was from her pc and it doesn't seem to recognize it on this machine. Thanks

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't need any special software to be able to use an external drive. If it's USB or Firewire the mac should recognize it right away and you'll see the little "icon" appear on your desktop with the name of whatever your external drive is.

Depending on how you have the external drive setup (likely NTFS or FAT32), you may only be able to copy data off of the drive (NTFS), or if it's formatted as a FAT32 - you'll be able to copy data off, as well as transfer new data to the drive. But if you just need to get the stuff off it - either way you should be fine.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
You shouldn't need any special software to be able to use an external drive. If it's USB or Firewire the mac should recognize it right away and you'll see the little "icon" appear on your desktop with the name of whatever your external drive is.

Depending on how you have the external drive setup (likely NTFS or FAT32), you may only be able to copy data off of the drive (NTFS), or if it's formatted as a FAT32 - you'll be able to copy data off, as well as transfer new data to the drive. But if you just need to get the stuff off it - either way you should be fine.

Thanks and welcome to the site mathrulz!! I do see the icon in the upper right for the drive but after clicking on it and try opening a file an error message pops up saying I have no default application specified to open the file. I have not yet installed any software on to this machine. I was hoping it came with at least a trial version of iwork or something but I guess not. I will install office first and see if that helps. cheerz

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I love this site so far - lots of awesome stuff and helpful information.

You should be able to find a trial version for either iWorks or Microsoft Office 2008 online (usually 30 day trials) if you wanted.

OS X does come with an application called "TextEdit" which is similar to the notepad idea in windows (but more enhanced). TextEdit will open word documents too though if you just want to check a few files or something (you won't have all the nice features like you would with Word or Pages (iWork) though). To open the files with TextEdit you can right-click (or if you press the ctrl button and click - that's the same as right-clicking on a mac) on the file you want to open - go to "Open with" and choose TextEdit.

Anthony

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks and welcome to the site mathrulz!! I do see the icon in the upper right for the drive but after clicking on it and try opening a file an error message pops up saying I have no default application specified to open the file. I have not yet installed any software on to this machine. I was hoping it came with at least a trial version of iwork or something but I guess not. I will install office first and see if that helps. cheerz

I suggest going for Microsoft Word 08' Mac, instead of iWork.
Microst Word is by far superior to iWork, at least I think. For a person switching from a microsoft pc to a Apple iMac, Microsoft Word 08 should do you most justice than iWork. There is nothing worse than trying to figure out how to use a new set of programs to do simple tasks like writing up a paper or something...

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I agree Anthony.
Me, i just turn the on switch and it always seems to work. Very little worry about viruses...it's all good.
I suggest going for Microsoft Word 08' Mac, instead of iWork.
Microst Word is by far superior to iWork, at least I think. For a person switching from a microsoft pc to a Apple iMac, Microsoft Word 08 should do you most justice than iWork. There is nothing worse than trying to figure out how to use a new set of programs to do simple tasks like writing up a paper or something...

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent Help Mathrulz, And Welcome To The Site.... Doo You Quad/sled, Or Both???

Mostly just sledding - summer sucks! haha jk. I'm a farmer so most of my quading is just for workin' around the farm in the summer. I try to get out and have some fun in the summer too though when I can lol.

Anthony

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree Anthony.
Me, i just turn the on switch and it always seems to work. Very little worry about viruses...it's all good.

Same here!
After having to "Re-format" my old Windows laptop four times a year, I was sick and tired of spy-ware and all that virus junk! So, I bought a mac. I have't had any problem with programs crashing, the computer freezing, having to re-start every hour, or even opening any documents.
Simply put: It just works.

Oh, and all those stupid Microsoft Vs. Apple commericials, are true! :clap2:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
My daughter had the same experience in College, everyone she new was dealing with viruses...her Mac Laptop...No Problem.

There are many things that IBC comp's do better, but for me...Mac is the way to go.

Same here!
After having to "Re-format" my old Windows laptop four times a year, I was sick and tired of spy-ware and all that virus junk! So, I bought a mac. I have't had any problem with programs crashing, the computer freezing, having to re-start every hour, or even opening any documents.
Simply put: It just works.

Oh, and all those stupid Microsoft Vs. Apple commericials, are true! :clap2:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Young Man...you are disturbed

Attachments

• Mac.jpg
    Mac.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 66

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
who told you?!?!

hahaha..... Mac's are good for what they are made for...... but they are not gaming machines by any means, great for video, graphics, and holding papers.

That about sums it up Tyler. I got the 360 for any of my gaming needs and a kick azz PC laptop for getting business done. I thought I'd give this imac a try for the house. I'm tired of being the IT guy around home once a week when something isn't working right :nono: so hopefully this does the trick. My wife, god bless the little lady, is no Bill Gates when it comes to computers so this should help a little with all her facebooking needs :D music, pictures, ect.

Top Bottom