Anyone considering buying a sled from the states? Found a decent deal

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a snowmobile from the states for the misses. I found what appears to be a pretty good deal on some 2009 Arctic Cat m6 and m8s in Minnesota. I talked to the guy today and he said he has 11 left with mileage varying from 300 to 500 miles. He wants 5600 for the M6s and 6600 for the m8s.

Anyone interested in buying one? I was thinking it might be a good weekend road trip with a bunch of guys interested in buying? Split the fuel and accommodations to go pick them up?

I would consider buying one myself but the drive by alone would suck(4000 km round trip)

Here is some info from the ad and a link:

This 2009 Arctic Cat M6 has the 600cc laid-down Suzuki engine making 120 hp, the M8 making 140 hp. Both have electronic reverse, 2.25" X 15" 153" tracks, FOX shocks, electronic instrumentation, owners and safety manuals, spec sheets, tool kit and spare key. Both have factory warrranty and both have less then 400 miles and are as new in condition. Priced at $5595 for the M6 and $6595 for the M8. Call Arnie at 651-793-4375, open 9 to 9, 7 days a week.

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Importing a vehicle from the states is not as simple as just going and picking it up. There are fee's, GST, admissability, inspections and warranty to consider. There is a post already going here on the transfer of warranty on imported arctic cats. I have imported both my wifes Denali and my d-max from the states, you must look at all the details and costs to determine weather it's actually worth it. Make sure you do your homework, the dollar is strong and the deals are out there if your willing to do the work. Good luck.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i know its not just as simple as go buy it and drive home. I isnt really that hard to do though, here is pretty much everything you need to do to import one.

------------------------------------------

How to import a snowmobile:

1. Get the owner to fax you a copy of their registration/title/certificate of origin and bill of sale. Fax that to the border no less than 72 hours before you plan to take it across. You want to make sure the sled has no liens on it prior to doing this.

2. Phone the manufacturer of sled you're buying and get them to give you a recall clearance letter. You will need to supply the VIN, and possibly the bill of sale. They will check to see if all recalls were done. If they are not done get the owner of the sled to do them, they are free for them usually. DO NOT buy a sled if all recalls are not done, you may not be able to get them done free in Canada. Ideally, get the current owner to have them done in the US. Once the owner gets them done, phone the manufacturer again and get them to give you an updated clearance letter.

3. When you come back across the order, stop at the US side and go inside the public entrance. They will stamp the title/certificate of origin/registration. They typically don’t even look at the sled, just the paperwork you provide.

4. Take the title/certificate of origin/registration and bill of sale along with any other proof of purchase you have to the CDN side. They will get you to pull over and go inside.

5. Go inside and pay GST on the purchase price. You will need the title/certificate of origin/registration and bill of sale, the date of manufacture (off the side of the tunnel) and whatever other proof you have of the sale price. They give you a Form 1 and they fill it out. They fax a copy of it to RIV. You have 45 days to get the sled approved for import from this time on.

5. Pay the RIV fee @ Registrar of Imported Vehicles ($205) as soon as you get home.

6. Fax the recall clearance to RIV with your reference # from your form 1 and your online payment reference #.

7. Phone RIV 48 hours later and give them your case number which will be in red at the top of your Form 1. Get them to confirm that they have the copy of the Form 1 sent from the border, the payment you made and the recall clearance. They will mail you a Form 2 or you can get them to email it to you. Email is much faster but dealing with them is like pulling teeth.

8. Take the Form 2 to Canadian Tire or any other approved outlet. At the Auto Service desk, tell them you have a sled you need them to fill the Form 2 out for. They verify the VIN and model number. Then they get you to start the sled to make sure the kill switch works and check for reflectors. They will fax a copy of the completed form to the RIV.

9. Go register the sled with your completed Form 1, Form 2, bill of sale and title. You pay the PST and you're done.

The RIV will send you a sticker in the mail you are supposed to put on the sled to be legal. This shows that it was imported from the US.

NOTE: If the sled does not have the approval decals on the tunnel, you will need a letter from the manufacturer stating it complies with all requirements.

Important contact information:
US Customs Fax number for Emerson crossing: (701) 825-6567
US Customs Contact number for Emerson crossing: (701) 825-6551
RIV Fax number: (416) 626-0366
RIV Contact: 1-888-848-8240
Polaris customer care: (763) 417-8650
Arctic Cat USA: 218-681-9851
Arctic Cat Winnipeg Office: 982-1772 (forwards to 986-1656)
Arctic Cat Winnipeg Recall Letter Request Line: 204-832-0205

This info was taken from: SnoWest Forum - View Single Post - HELP... selling sled from US to Canada

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a 2009 m-6 turbo in Utah this summer. I think it was a good deal and no problem getting it back as long as you have the paperwork in order and faxed to the border 72 hours prior to crossing. Still worth the $200 fee and GST.

They did not even look at the sled coming through and Canada Tire inspected in 2 minutes.
300 miles on it and a little cheaper than a new stocker here, after fees and exchange. Warranty is good till December :d

You guys give me your feedback and let me know if you think it was better to get a new one or a used with all the goodies?

Goodies: Boss seat, Cutler turbo package with attitude controller, telescopic steering post, Exit rear shocks. custom graphics (don't let the HCR fool you)

I am not trying to hi-jack your thread just some more info for you to digest to answer your question on whether it's worth it or not.

Attachments

• DSC01301small.jpg
    DSC01301small.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 37

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Steve your really going at it! You phone me about a Polaris at noon. Then talk about a Ski-doo. Now you’re looking at a Cat?!:eek:

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Amazing what a little snow does to peoples heads,I imported a M% last year and yes if you get your ducks in a row it will save you a lot of grief!
You can get a new 08 m8 for under 9000 here!

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also looking at an american sled, but must go used as for $$. This site has limited ads for USA, snowest seems to be hard to find anything in ND or MN, anyone know of a good way to track down a sled in those states?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, but instead of driving both ways, line up a truck (trailer too, if you're getting a few sleds ) then drive back and sell what you don't want to keep. Buy a few of those M's and you might pay for your own when you sell the truck too.

The importing stuff is easy as long as you;ve done your homework.

Good Luck!

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a snowmobile from the states for the misses. I found what appears to be a pretty good deal on some 2009 Arctic Cat m6 and m8s in Minnesota. I talked to the guy today and he said he has 11 left with mileage varying from 300 to 500 miles. He wants 5600 for the M6s and 6600 for the m8s.

Anyone interested in buying one? I was thinking it might be a good weekend road trip with a bunch of guys interested in buying? Split the fuel and accommodations to go pick them up?

I would consider buying one myself but the drive by alone would suck(4000 km round trip)

i might be interested in a road trip,,,,im talkin with a guy about his 2010 m8 in minn, ill keep ya informed if ur still thinkin of goin down

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When you thinking of going? I'd be looking at the M8's in particular... I've imported 3 sleds so far, they're really easy as long as you have all the paperwork.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually i'm looking at getting a plumber and electrican up here for a few days since they're cheaper down there then locally. lol:d

Last edited:

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
speaking of lawyers, has anyone ever ridden with or seen a lawyer ride a sled?

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you thinking of going? I'd be looking at the M8's in particular... I've imported 3 sleds so far, they're really easy as long as you have all the paperwork.

not sure but i get off every fri,sat,sun so probably one weekend on those days.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:dHey Guys, I am in on a road trip, since I already bought sled in mi and need to get it back. I was just about to get it trucked from there to sweetgrass mo and found out that bill of sell had 1 number wrong in the vin so now I need to start over. Saved about 2 grand. Go to google and type in what you are looking for and in what state and a bunch will come up. We can all save if there are 4 guys no stop driving be there and back in no time.....Pm me asap because I will be ready to ship soon....Thanks

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last wednsday at Edm Salvage Auction, a 08 M7 sold for $4200 ,had 450 miles on it, next sale is a 09 M8 coming up.
this summer some 08 Phazer Mtns sold for $1500.00

I brought a Gold Wing back from States, and a Modern Tire Machine on top of a double sled trailer this summer.
well worth the trip. and if you stay 7 days,you get a extra $750.00 tax exempt .,Per Person.I always stay 14 days,cheap shopping then.

Top Bottom