anyboby on here repair fridges?

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got an lg fridge its under 5 years. and about ten days after i thaw it out it builds up so much ice /water that it fills the botom of the freezer and stops the flow of cold air into the fridge. makeing it run none stop trying to keep the fridge cold(was not happy yesterday when i got my power bill)

like i said ive tried thawing it out and making sure the drain tube is clear but it freeze up very quickly

any ideas?
thanks

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thaw out 2 weeks ago and this is what i see today
DSCF4089.jpg

DSCF4088.jpg

DSCF4087.jpg

DSCF4086.jpg

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
if its under 5 years old are you sure its not still under warranty?

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
Sounds similar to what ours did. Built ice up, kept building ice up and then nothing...thawed right out, wouldn't cool at all anymore after awhile. The fan was broken. It was under warranty luckily but if your isn't, I don't think it even cost that much.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the fan still works i thought that was the problem to but it works when its plugged in

where we just bought the house theres no paperwork or reciepts for anything:( so i don't think warranty is much good) i guess i'll just have to thaw it out ever two weeks. i suppose its better then it not working at all

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly the defrost timer. Frost free fridges defrost themselves scheduled by a timer.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can test the timer. Just find it and listen if it is clicking.
There is a hole that you can put a small flatblade screwdriver in and turn on the defrost cycle, If the coild start to melt, then it's probably not the elements. I had my timer get stuck, and would not cycle. there is also a drain tube, take a piece of wire and make sure it's not obstructed.
Also make sure the drain pan has no places where it could be preventing proper drainage.

A timer can be bought at any local appliance part store, they are universal.

Philster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pitbulll.webs.com
I had the same problem and yes it was the defrost timer .I got a new one at Reliable Appliance in Edmonton.They were very helpful with advice also.
They used to be on 142st but I`m not sure if they are still there.
Hope this helps.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your fridge/ freezer setting. But this happened to us and a couple months later our compressor went on us... Found out when we pulled it out that the swithch in the comoressor stayed on until the compressor when caputs....

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the previous owner had it registered for the warranty (send away the little card) or had it registered where they bought it, then the serial number should be on file with LG. If you call LG and explain your story they shoul dbe able to tell you if it is still under warranty and should be able to tell you where it was purchased so you can go back there.:beer:

jay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you defrost it can you pour water down the drain hole ?

if you can, make sure it is sitting level or a little toward the back for drainage

or if the drain hole keeps freezing up you can tie a bare wire around the defrost heater and route it down the hole a litttle to keep it from freezing up

Top Bottom