Any luck with turboed p-tecs?

Littledoo10

Reaction score
I have 2 choices of turbo kits for my 2010 800 p-tec. Ones a kit my buddy built and ran on his 08 for 2 seasons and uses a garrett charger, or choice 2, a boostworx aero charger pump gas kit. Both are $2000 each. Have you seen any that actually went good for more then a couple hours or the odd day on a p-tec, or is it just a ch!t show run around?

qvperformance

Reaction score
I have seen quite a few carbed turbo's work flawless day in and day out. it all depends on the design of the kit and the quality of the install. i cannot say if either kit you mentioned will work for you, as I have not seen either kit. One thing that can be said is the older kits did have some issues, no matter whos's kit it was. so if the kits you are looking at are up to date, then your chances are better. In fact I would have to say that the carbed turbo market has helped the turbo builders improve their kits. Being carbed, they had to improve the design, so they would run. With EFI it is possible to make almost anything run good, as you can get the fuel where and when you need it. Carbs work on natural occuring pressure changes, therefor they are prone to not run right if the kit as a whole is out of tune. Just having an EFI setup does not mean it will run right, just read a bit on the forums and you will see that all the brands are having fueling issues, some due to install and setup, some due to obvious improper design of the kit as a whole.

Last edited:

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
Turbo's & superchargers are much harder to tune on a carb'd engine, this is the reason they have become extrememly popular in automotive & snowmobiling industry only since electronic fuel injection, look at how many sleds & cars now come stock with turbo's, EFI is the best way to go for a turbo, although it can be done with a carb but it is a lot more involved & finicky. & yes I know about the roots style superchargers on older cars with carbs but they just don't produce the ease, reliability, & performance of the same engine with EFI. It can be done but I don't think it is worth the hassle, spent a couple grand & get Etec then turbo it, Boost It Controller sounds very promising. It will be much more responsive, way better control of fueling, fuel economy, just all around better, no doubt about it

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Boosted carbs need meticulous work to get them running right. I am planning on building one myself, but I'm prepared (and have the tools) to deal with the tuning/setup. Otherwise, get an e-tec and get a turbo kit that has already had the bugs worked out of it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boosted carbs need meticulous work to get them running right. I am planning on building one myself, but I'm prepared (and have the tools) to deal with the tuning/setup. Otherwise, get an e-tec and get a turbo kit that has already had the bugs worked out of it.

Ever get this going? what work do the carbs need?

TreeThrasher

Reaction score
I have a ptec turbo that works very very well. I have built several that work very well day in day out in the hands of guys that really know nothing about the mechanics of turbos. Design a properly sized kit that has all the necessary components and carb turbos are far more simple and less troublesome than the highly electrified counterparts of the EFI world. Get the base setup wrong and you will hate life.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a ptec turbo that works very very well. I have built several that work very well day in day out in the hands of guys that really know nothing about the mechanics of turbos. Design a properly sized kit that has all the necessary components and carb turbos are far more simple and less troublesome than the highly electrified counterparts of the EFI world. Get the base setup wrong and you will hate life.
Yea I'm just about done building one now. Check out my built thread:beer:

cadman22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

what set up are you running for the p-tec turbo

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Know of a a guy that ran a ptec turbo a few years with out issue, but dropped compression to 11 to one... But his buddy could not make it run set up the same.....good luck

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Littledoo10 is a buddy of mine his ptec got wreck so he bought a pro a turbo'd it. He would of been able to have a turbo'd ptec any way. He had a hard time figuring out his tra clutch I had to tell him how to set it lol

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

Top Bottom