another new customer in the Shuswap

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hail, BC doesn't get much if any. No wind.

In Kimberley my house had tin with valleys, 4ft snow on top of 4" of ice rips the valley tin up.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That's funny you mention that about your house, I was kicking around the idea of putting tin on my roof. Shingles are done, so I need to replace later this summer. Other than re-tightening the screws, what were some of the other cons of tin? ( apologies for the topic segway ).
I had 6 valleys where the roof basically turns at 90 degrees. With large amounts of snow, ice builds up on the tin (some say it is poor insulation, others say it is the nature of the beast) and as gravity sucks it down the valley, it rips the tin. A heavier tin will help but it may still rip. I had valleys rip and flashing rip. The manufacturer replaced the tin the first year but after that I was on my own. I had a combination of 8/12 and 6/12 slopes. Like I said above, without the valleys the tin works great.

When we replaced the tin with asphalt shingles there was no movement (no avalanches) and no problem.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's funny you mention that about your house, I was kicking around the idea of putting tin on my roof. Shingles are done, so I need to replace later this summer. Other than re-tightening the screws, what were some of the other cons of tin? ( apologies for the topic segway ).
If you are in a snow belt when you close your front door it is usually the time it starts the roof avalanche. Tin directly over plywood for some reason causes black mold on the bottom side of the plywood... moisture maybe.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 6 valleys where the roof basically turns at 90 degrees. With large amounts of snow, ice builds up on the tin (some say it is poor insulation, others say it is the nature of the beast) and as gravity sucks it down the valley, it rips the tin. A heavier tin will help but it may still rip. I had valleys rip and flashing rip. The manufacturer replaced the tin the first year but after that I was on my own. I had a combination of 8/12 and 6/12 slopes. Like I said above, without the valleys the tin works great.

When we replaced the tin with asphalt shingles there was no movement (no avalanches) and no problem.
Wonder how metal shingles would fair out? Might be better than corrugated metal sheeting, but shingles period are reasonably inexpensive for sure and to a degree no sliding of snow.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are in a snow belt when you close your front door it is usually the time it starts the roof avalanche. Tin directly over plywood for some reason causes black mold on the bottom side of the plywood... moisture maybe.

need better airflow, roof vents,whirly birds, clear soffits

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Wonder how metal shingles would fair out? Might be better than corrugated metal sheeting, but shingles period are reasonably inexpensive for sure and to a degree no sliding of snow.
I didn't want to take the chance.
need better airflow, roof vents,whirly birds, clear soffits
This isn't with the keeping of the thread but I suppose since I started it, I can add to the derailment. It is better than all the COVID/Conspiracy BS

With today's builds, there is lots of attic air flow with the soffits available and/or roof vents. The simple solution is a straight gable roof; plain and simple. A good design will not have any doors or basement windows below the eave where the avalanche debris pile ends up. I learned that from experience.

Note the garage doors, they are south facing. With the metal roof, the apron was a chore to clean of snow when the roof slid. Prevailing winds were from the south and the north side of the house avalanched much more. The rear door/railing was a real pain with the metal roof. With shingles nothing slid. I replaced the log railing just before I sold the house and I don't know how the aluminum railing held up but I wouldn't think very well. Easily 6-7 feet of snow on the concrete pad below the wooden deck. Proper design is very important.

Attachments

• IMG_3573.jpeg
    IMG_3573.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3564.jpeg
    IMG_3564.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2933.jpeg
    IMG_2933.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 130

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real reason for the black mold, had to mitigate a few roofs with this problem. You will have to back this video up to the start.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to take the chance.

This isn't with the keeping of the thread but I suppose since I started it, I can add to the derailment. It is better than all the COVID/Conspiracy BS

With today's builds, there is lots of attic air flow with the soffits available and/or roof vents. The simple solution is a straight gable roof; plain and simple. A good design will not have any doors or basement windows below the eave where the avalanche debris pile ends up. I learned that from experience.

Note the garage doors, they are south facing. With the metal roof, the apron was a chore to clean of snow when the roof slid. Prevailing winds were from the south and the north side of the house avalanched much more. The rear door/railing was a real pain with the metal roof. With shingles nothing slid. I replaced the log railing just before I sold the house and I don't know how the aluminum railing held up but I wouldn't think very well. Easily 6-7 feet of snow on the concrete pad below the wooden deck. Proper design is very important.
That's a pile of snow for sure, you must have had a front end loader. Did you move to the banana belt now because of that amount of snow lol!

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The real reason for the black mold, had to mitigate a few roofs with this problem. You will have to back this video up to the start.

Heating an uninsulated building is a no no, I've heard sea cans are bad and rig buildings

Warmer air on the underside of the tin causes condensation, airflow evaporates that moisture before it gets wet.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heating an uninsulated building is a no no, I've heard sea cans are bad and rig buildings

Warmer air on the underside of the tin causes condensation, airflow evaporates that moisture before it gets wet.
Well ferniesnow actually covered how to address this issue in his building code comment.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A 6' x 5' picture window is safe from the hail if we get it one of these nights. A little truing to do and some odds and ends but the window is in and the client is ecstatic! She absolutely loves it!
Truck temp on the way home today is extra crazy. A spot on top of the hill that is in the open and the sun just bakes it........

Attachments

• IMG_6357.jpeg
    IMG_6357.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6366.jpeg
    IMG_6366.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6372.jpeg
    IMG_6372.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 129

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Took a vinyl sliding patio door out of one building and put it into the old cabin. A good day!
Customer is figuring out siding and I am thinking about the design for a small deck off the patio doors.

Attachments

• IMG_6387.jpeg
    IMG_6387.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6388.jpeg
    IMG_6388.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 99

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Tyvek is finished and I am sourcing out the siding; Smart board trim, horizontal tin on the bottom, and board and batten above the tin.

Attachments

• IMG_6402.jpeg
    IMG_6402.jpeg
    669.6 KB · Views: 82

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Slowly but surely...............things are getting done. The old cabin has Smart board trim and roof is finished other than the gable trim. Waiting for siding material now. In the mean time, the pool shed has been stripped of siding and roofing. Tyvek done other than the gables. Waiting for siding material for that building also.

Attachments

• IMG_6421.jpeg
    IMG_6421.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6291.jpeg
    IMG_6291.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6427.jpeg
    IMG_6427.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6429.jpeg
    IMG_6429.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 95

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A little TLC and innovation/creativity sure makes a difference. Just about ready for the board and batten above the horizontal metal. Finished product is going to look great!

Attachments

• IMG_6288.jpeg
    IMG_6288.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6301.jpeg
    IMG_6301.jpeg
    379.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6571.jpeg
    IMG_6571.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6573.jpeg
    IMG_6573.jpeg