another new customer in the Shuswap

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That will never happen. The Turd and his hands in my pockets isn't something I like. Too much red tape with staff, work for yourself and everything is pretty easy. If I need a helping hand, my wife helps and that still forgoes the WorkersComp and keeps the wages in the family. Try to work and keep government medaling to an absolute minimum.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Are boards needed on top of the paper ?
Well, I was told that in BC the building code says that the paper goes over top of the wood. That doesn't make any sense to me. The wood is for the bolts that hold on the metal siding, FYI. I am doing this building the old way with the boards on top of the paper/synthetic. It worked for years and for to put the paper on top of the boards would end up one hell of a mess because sure as hell one will misstep and tear the paper many times.

Flapjack, stick to what you do and forget about mingling into things you know nothing about!!

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was saying, can't the tin go onto the paper without the extra boards. 2x4s

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice looking at pictures where someone else is doing the work, those pictures have got you lots of help

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Doug,
I am looking for a builder for a project in Sicamous.
I need someone to build me a sailboat? Or at least the sails and mast. I have a small 10 foot metal boat we can mount it on.
I was planning on outfitting it with solar panels and batteries that will then power up large fans to drive the sales.
Very short on cash, so would need a cheap.....well, almost free quote.
Thanks in advance....

I am trying to get Snopro to partner up with me as I would like to ensure it under his farm policy. Should be cheaper. JK!....LOL

On a side note:
Buetiful work buddy!
Nice to have some projects to do and stay busy.
Awaiting the finished project photoes.
Well done.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Doug,
I am looking for a builder for a project in Sicamous.
I need someone to build me a sailboat? Or at least the sails and mast. I have a small 10 foot metal boat we can mount it on.
I was planning on outfitting it with solar panels and batteries that will then power up large fans to drive the sales.
Very short on cash, so would need a cheap.....well, almost free quote.
Thanks in advance....

I am trying to get Snopro to partner up with me as I would like to ensure it under his farm policy. Should be cheaper. JK!....LOL

On a side note:
Buetiful work buddy!
Nice to have some projects to do and stay busy.
Awaiting the finished project photoes.
Well done.
Hahaha..................first of all, quotes are free but are actually included in the hourly rate so they are like you said, "almost free"..
Second point, I'm sure snopro would go for that but it would be insure and not ensure.....................just had to throw that in there!!

Thirdly, thanks for the accolades and yes, it keeps me busy and I meet some very nice people while I'm at it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The hot weather is a beotch on the roof. We got one side tinned early this morning along with one sheet on the other side. Too hot to do any more so we went to the beach. 10 minute drive from the property and what a beautiful spot!!

Attachments

• IMG_6337.jpeg
    IMG_6337.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6339.jpeg
    IMG_6339.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6340.jpeg
    IMG_6340.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6341.jpeg
    IMG_6341.jpeg
    601.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6343.jpeg
    IMG_6343.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 102

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha..................first of all, quotes are free but are actually included in the hourly rate so they are like you said, "almost free"..
Second point, I'm sure snopro would go for that but it would be insure and not ensure.....................just had to throw that in there!!

Thirdly, thanks for the accolades and yes, it keeps me busy and I meet some very nice people while I'm at it.
At my age Doug maybe Ensure would be the proper word! Lmao!:rolling:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Oh, you could've said so ;)

That sucks because you can't walk on the tin
That's how most tin rooves are. One has to know that where the bolts are is where you put your feet. There is a DQ in Fernie that has a terribly dimpled metal roof. Someone must have not known where to walk. I used to think about it every time I went buy the place.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the tin leaks does the water sit on paper under the two by fours or does it have a way out before it leaks inside never seen that before then again i am not a carpenter

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
7 hours today and home at 3:00 pm. The truck thermometer was reading 40 degrees on the way home. Shower and some Corona gonna feel sooooo good!!

Got the metal on the roof today..............ridge cap and gable flashing still to go. Finished just as the sun was starting to hit the metal. Stripped the walls and they are ready for TyVek. Have to get the chainsaw out and cut holes for a large window and a set of sliding patio doors. Complete the framing with studding and a couple of headers.

Attachments

• IMG_6348.jpeg
    IMG_6348.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6347.jpeg
    IMG_6347.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6349.jpeg
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 87

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If the tin leaks does the water sit on paper under the two by fours or does it have a way out before it leaks inside never seen that before then again i am not a carpenter
Basically, yes. That is why maintenance is important and the bolts need to be snugged up every 5 years due to expansion and contraction from the temperatures.
I fell into the trap and put metal on our house in Elkford. I would never do it again. Changed it out after 17 years. A straight bungalow with no valleys (no dormers, no funny angles, or gables) has better success IMHO.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically, yes. That is why maintenance is important and the bolts need to be snugged up every 5 years due to expansion and contraction from the temperatures.
I fell into the trap and put metal on our house in Elkford. I would never do it again. Changed it out after 17 years. A straight bungalow with no valleys (no dormers, no funny angles, or gables) has better success IMHO.

That's funny you mention that about your house, I was kicking around the idea of putting tin on my roof. Shingles are done, so I need to replace later this summer. Other than re-tightening the screws, what were some of the other cons of tin? ( apologies for the topic segway ).

Top Bottom