Aluminum wheels and track problem

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here are some pictures of my track and setup. The track is worn through the rubber about every 5" only on the exterior of the track.
Any one else seen this problem?

Attachments

• danuk 062 (Medium).jpg
    danuk 062 (Medium).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 213
  • danuk 063 (Medium).jpg
    danuk 063 (Medium).jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 196
  • danuk 064 (Medium).jpg
    danuk 064 (Medium).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 196

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it happening on the path of each billet wheel or just the out side one? Maybe dumb question, but how tight is you track? If that sled is an X model, it should have extroverts and you can loosen the track way off. Also I've seen aftermarket axles loosen up and cause the rear wheels to apply more pressure on the track. Look and see if the wheels are set lower than the sliders. If that is the case, I would also check the bearings in the wheels? :twocents:

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, seen it before. On several selds with Al billet wheels. Don't know if it happens to all or not, but never seen it with factory rubber wheels.

I don't know what the cause is, the only other observation I have made is that during the right snow conditions (around 0c) snow will stick to the wheel and biuld up, up to about 1/2 thick, making the sled vibrate and streaching the track a bit. Don't know if that would be part of the cause or not.

Mike Anderson

Reaction score
The snow/ ice builds up on the alum whl and causes dimpling. VERY common. Buy alum whls w/ rubber around perim or take yours and get them anodized to fix problem!!:nono:

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
starting to see more of that now, all the billet alum wheel without rubber on them seem to do that

koko3052

Reaction score
Take your billets to a machine shop, have them square grooved and stretch a square o-ring on them.Track won't take a "likken and keep on tikken".:tazz:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never have had an issue with mine. They are anodized and I run my track loose.

koko3052

Reaction score
Yeh, only happens with the rear billets, more pressure on them. The 1/2 clipped track doesn't help any and I really can't see anodizing helping any. But that's just my:twocents:

Top Bottom