Allen key plug on chaincase of 2016

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Just a word of caution on the allen key plug on the chaincase.
Did my first service and went to remove plug on chaincase to no avail.
I think they powder coated the plug in the chaincase.
Well after twisting and allen key, then breaking a tip in the plug, I managed to get plug out.
Drilled through from the back of cover.
Two easy outs didn;t work, so kept drilling till I could use a thread tap to remove the last of the plug a few hours later.
Yes, i tried heating, but you have to be careful with that also as the wiring and sensor is very close.
Cost of a new cover is $308 bucks from dealer.

I suggest if plug does not want to come out, just leave it and add proper amount of chaincase oil.
May save you some heartache and a few bucks.

I talked with the dealer and they have had two similiar instances on the 2016 summits.
They also are leaving them and just measuring new oil to add.

Anyone else have an issue with this...??????

Last edited:

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What size of Allen wrench did you use? The plug is not metric. It is standard.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just took mine out the other day. It was definitely tight. As dooin800 said, it is a standard sized allen wrench

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Intersting. Never had that problem before and i take lots of them out. They usually are coated with lots of loctite sealant from BRP. Small solder torch heats it up beautifully. Sorry about your bad luck with that though.

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 2015 summit its a square head and a 5/16 12 point socket works to get the plug out. You are talking about the plug that has the magnet on it?

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
On my 2015 summit its a square head and a 5/16 12 point socket works to get the plug out. You are talking about the plug that has the magnet on it?

No such square head on the 2016 models. Its an allan key head plug.

Yes guys, i used the proper allen key wrench.....LOL...

Guys at factory must have added extra loctite on Friday afternoon before weekend. (hahha, this dude will have fun with this one.) LOL

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing I was going to mention was make sure you check your chain tension after the first ride or two. I cant believe how loose mine was! I bet I got 3-4 full turns.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
One other thing I was going to mention was make sure you check your chain tension after the first ride or two. I cant believe how loose mine was! I bet I got 3-4 full turns.

Thats another great point Deaner!
I found the same thing. Chains seem to stretch alot.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I find pulling the cover instead of using the drain plug is the better way to go. Gives you a chance to inspect the chain and the gears at same time. Look for any shavings or wear on the inner half of the case.

Top Bottom