Albertans asked to report people who dump garbage or damage public land

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Tourists looking at elk in Jasper National Park, Alberta. August 26, 2015.
Vinesh Pratap, Global News

Sponsored content is written by Global News' editorial staff

EDMONTON – Albertans are being asked to report anyone they see seriously damaging public lands and waterways.
The NDP government says people should call the Report A Poacher line if they witness campers leaving garbage or off-highway vehicles tearing up land or streams.
Justice Minister Kathleen Ganley says most people act responsibly outdoors, but each year abuse of public lands is a problem.
The government says it will bolster enforcement this year starting this May long weekend.
Conservation officers, Fish and Wildlife officers and park rangers will be patrolling the backcountry and parks supported by RCMP.
The Report A Poacher phone number is 1-800-642-3800.

All you quadders out there, truly need to be careful what you do, and how you do it.... "off-highway vehicles tearing up land or streams." This is very broad definition, so I can see many a charges being laid out there... Use your head, common sense

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we just got back from random camping by kocanousa lake,we walked about 1klm from the campsite down the road and back and picked 3 grocery bags full of bottles,cans and garbage.what gets us is tim hortons is in fernie about 45 klms away and there is a bag of cups and wrappers in the ditch,do these stupid people think that it will just disappear.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I my self would fear calling any GOA branch since they would show up to take photos and "could" use it to show against folks that would like to use the back country.

I my self would rather have a chat with folks that dump garbage on the ground, and clean it up my self, since it's part of what I can do to give back.

Less government, and more my ability to what needs doing.

Just my way to do things with out causing all of us grief, all of us that is.

Pal Don

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I my self would fear calling any GOA branch since they would show up to take photos and "could" use it to show against folks that would like to use the back country.

I my self would rather have a chat with folks that dump garbage on the ground, and clean it up my self, since it's part of what I can do to give back.

Less government, and more my ability to what needs doing.

Just my way to do things with out causing all of us grief, all of us that is.

Pal Don

one on one,.... **** you

Crown against said violator,... $ Fine

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this is how I see it ...

They get to fine the offender, thus collecting money ...

Somebody gets paid to inspect the site, some one else gets paid to clean it up ...

And they get more "proof" that all ohv's should be banned !!!

Did I miss anything else ???

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the email from fish and feathers too regarding this...

I called in a muley that was shot illegally near home several years back then got accused of being a poacher by Tony Brooks(big cheese) in Rocky. I was so friggin mad! I told him "I can assure you that srd would be the last on the list of people to phone if I were in fact a poacher!"

Because of this I wont call them for anything at all. If I see someone doing something illegal I would inform them at that time they could be fined, and carry on. If I found garbage, I would clean it up and carry on, not take pics of it and post them on the internet or phone those losers either. Nope, no help from me.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah ha. So you got to meet Tony. Ya, he was a real treat when he was in Hinton too. I heard he had so many complaints against him that he was forced to transfer elsewhere.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one on one,.... **** you

Crown against said violator,... $ Fine

No big deal if they told me to go pound sand. Once they leave I would go back and clean up the site.

Good Samaritan thing I guess.

By the time I waist my money making the call, going down to fill out an incident report, take time off work for a court appearance 1 year later if it goes to trial.
I'd have the pig-sty cleaned up.

Just my way of getting things done instead of relying of tax payers dollars / our funds to deal with a small issues when they arise.

Quick fast easy fix so the system doesn't get clogged up.

From good Stewart Don

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What worries me about this call in abuse of the system by the extreme greens to give false reports of negative OHV issues. You can bet government is following and counting how many and what is getting reported.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just want to say thank you!! I live in Sparwood and the kocanousa usually gets dumped on real bad. Many long weekends and lots of garbage left behind. Very good of you to take the time to pick up the garbage. Thanks again
we just got back from random camping by kocanousa lake,we walked about 1klm from the campsite down the road and back and picked 3 grocery bags full of bottles,cans and garbage.what gets us is tim hortons is in fernie about 45 klms away and there is a bag of cups and wrappers in the ditch,do these stupid people think that it will just disappear.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The day could come that free land camping "could" come to an end, so no need to arm the gov with info that """could""" be used at a later date to shut things down.

One would think that if one province limits access, the others will follow suit. I doo-noo what the grand plan is, nor do I want to find out since traveling America with free camping has add distance to more adventures.

Free land camping is easy for me since no one would think that a unit like this has travel 40.000 kms from coast too coast Canada & the US of A on a 1 year trip.

Parked at ice burg row in Newfoundland for 2 days, then in the deserts of Arizona or the Ocean beach in Florida. Camped out in old city Victoria for a few days too.

Best bag for the buck is deal with what we can and keep free camping active.

Just my 2 cents of what works for me since the West Country is my back door that all are welcome to use in their own travels.

Pal Don

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with your common sense approach.
No big deal if they told me to go pound sand. Once they leave I would go back and clean up the site.

Good Samaritan thing I guess.

By the time I waist my money making the call, going down to fill out an incident report, take time off work for a court appearance 1 year later if it goes to trial.
I'd have the pig-sty cleaned up.

Just my way of getting things done instead of relying of tax payers dollars / our funds to deal with a small issues when they arise.

Quick fast easy fix so the system doesn't get clogged up.

From good Stewart Don

Top Bottom