Alberta to implement helmet law for atv

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see future headlines now "government saves thousand's of lives by making it illegal
to stick metal utensil's into electrical outlet's".[/QUOTE]

They already did!! Lol I had to install tamper résistance receptacles in my new garage , along with arc fault breakers at $80 a pop. Wtf ?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the helmet law is a good idea. We always ride them helmets as anything can happen.

We do see a lot of people ride with no helmets. Quads and UTV's

I think a age size restrictions will be next.

Age vs CC size of engine

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My issue is the government's purpose is to build infrastructure,guide the economy
by whatever mean's they are able and to protect people from harming other people.
IE - LAWS
THAT'S IT, no more.Day by day they reach further and further into our live's,it's not
going to stop until you have to get their permission to take a crap.
20 year's ago if you told someone someday we will have to ask permission on siding
and shingle color for your house, they would have told you, you were fawking nut's.
But, that's exactly where we are today.
A speed control device on every motorized vehicle will be the next thing we get shoved
down our throat's.
Yes I know it's just "one more law", but if there is already 100,000 we have to live by (randon #)
How many is enough? 200,000? 300,000? 1,000,000? where does it stop?
For every new law,we need more police and more government to enforce it. Then we need more
tax's to pay for it.
It's a chain reaction that has no end.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My issue is the government's purpose is to build infrastructure,guide the economy
by whatever mean's they are able and to protect people from harming other people.
IE - LAWS
THAT'S IT, no more.Day by day they reach further and further into our live's,it's not
20 year's ago if you told someone someday we will have to ask permission on siding
and shingle color for your house, they would have told you, you were fawking nut's.
A speed control device on every motorized vehicle will be the next thing we get shoved
down our throat's.
Yes I know it's just "one more law", but if there is already 100,000 we have to live by (randon #)
For every new law,we need more police and more government to enforce it. Then we need more
tax's to pay for it.

You aint seen nothing yet. Changes are coming. If you guys have helmet issues your in for a big WTF. Some will see the need others will not if ever. To late. Just saying

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IE - LAWS
down our throat's.
tax's to pay for it.

Maybe its time for you to move to another country being this one is so bad. Full of cramp your style laws, Indonesia or China are good, so is Mexico you don't have to wear a helmet there. The government dont give a poop there, do what ever you want to satisfy your pleasures.
I suspect that the majority of people on here biotching about this law have travel very little to countries that laws are almost non existent when it comes to the well being of the general population. If anarchy rings a better bell for you....please move. BTW, when you do get hurt, see how well your medical coverage does for you in those countries.
IMO, the helmet law is not the only thing they should impose when it come's to atv's and utv's or even dirt bike's. I'd like to see mandatory operator certification before being able to operate anyone of these. It is proven, people in general DO NOT self regulate and level of standard, with no regulation or order put in place you get chaos, people needlessly getting hurt or killed.
You might feel your discipline enough to self regulate and i might feel the same but we live in an interconnected society and what you do effects others and what others do effect you. Not every one is of the same level of discipline. We all need a basic standard level of requirement to prevent unnecessary issues.
I see on a regular basis families riding atv's and utv's with no helmet's, even young people doubling on atv's with no helmets. If parents don't set examples for younger people then somebody else will and should.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We do live in a free society, you can enjoy what ever sport you want. As long as it doesn't effect others in a negative way or cost our society. The laws are in place to protect the population from your stupidity and educate the user that there is a safer way to enjoy the sport.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We do live in a free society, you can enjoy what ever sport you want. As long as it doesn't effect others in a negative way or cost our society. The laws are in place to protect the population from your stupidity and educate the user that there is a safer way to enjoy the sport.
Take a look around, Euro-Canadians are getting replaced by massive 3rd world imigration by the millions, so I can't believe the irony in what you are saying, all the no helmet wearers are being imported to replace population anyway, but I'll still be wearing one.....

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look around, Euro-Canadians are getting replaced by massive 3rd world imigration by the millions, so I can't believe the irony in what you are saying, all the no helmet wearers are being imported to replace population anyway, but I'll still be wearing one.....

I've never seen an import in this country without a helmet.

I've been to some of their's though where several people die daily from a lack of safety enforcement. Like Lund said, it's because their government doesn't give a hoot. And it's sketchy. I would prefer a little guidance and a few laws that improve safety for all over a freedom to do what I want with a chance of dying because of other idiots. Living like that gets old quick. And a good chance that you won't.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if a fish cop happens to come across a family out riding ATV's with no helmets or a father and son in a sxs with no helmets you would prefer that officer to have no authority to do anything about it?

Nothing is stopping you from riding without a helmet still. Those tickets will just help us pay for your eventual medical bills.

I'd say regulation is the hallmark of a successful democracy, based on my observation of other countries around the world vs the less successful countries.

Anarchy, as you imply you'd rather have, is not democratic at all. There is a big difference between the will of a people vs the will of a person.

Not an officer issue, You can argue the "cost" on the public because of Healthcare and blah blah blah, but given the number of ATV accidents vs bureaucracy inefficiency I can hardly see any justification. If you really wanted to argue health and safety why are tobacco and alcohol still legal? Those cost us BILLIONS per year and no ones talking about it.

Regulation does not stop anything, it gives the appearance of it but that's it. There are far to many laws in western countries based on emotion and the "oh someone think of the children" folk. I'll use gun laws and Bill C-68 as an example, its complete and utter garbage that stops only the law abiding from having certain firearms. Every time there is a shooting with a handgun I just have to stop and think "wow amazing that guy got an authorization to transport that handgun there" and my personal favourite the list of broken laws

It's illegal to plan to shoot someone with a gun
it's illegal to point a gun at someone
it's illegal to fire a gun at someone (except certain cases of self defense)
it's illegal to transport the handgun to that location (probably didnt happen at the range)
it's illegal for him to store that gun in his belt
it's illegal to have the gun loaded while driving
it's illegal for him to be in possession of a firearm (i doubt joe criminal has a pal)
it's illegal for him to have ammunition
it's illegal for him to have more than ten rounds in that handgun magazine

there's a lot more "laws and regulations" he broke that i'm not mentioning but you see my point. It's too much. The reason they do it is because they want you at home on your couch, paying taxes, watching state sponsored media and not thinking.

An agreed set of "rules" (laws) are important but we are to the point now that politicians want to feel like they did "something" and create completely unnecessary laws that are not need. Joe farmer picking rocks in his field with his quad doesnt want to wear a helmet and nor should he have to if he doesnt want to. Personal safety is important but its YOUR choice and besides I'd rather have law enforcement looking after the more important things like murderers, white color crime and the real degenerates. Not fluff like speeders, registration and insurance on my OHV; and if i'm wearing a helmet.

Permits and regulations are the way the government sells your rights back to you. all in the name of safety of course.

/rant over

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regulation does not stop anything, it gives the appearance of it but that's it.

An agreed set of "rules" (laws) are important but we are to the point now that politicians want to feel like they did "something" and create completely unnecessary laws that are not need. Joe farmer picking rocks in his field with his quad doesnt want to wear a helmet and nor should he have to if he doesnt want to. Personal safety is important but its YOUR choice and besides I'd rather have law enforcement looking after the more important things like murderers, white color crime and the real degenerates. Not fluff like speeders, registration and insurance on my OHV; and if i'm wearing a helmet.

Permits and regulations are the way the government sells your rights back to you. all in the name of safety of course.
I shortened your rant a bit.

Bottom line is over time societies and technologies advance. At a given time - never to early, but sometimes late - new laws and regulations are in-acted to create a "baseline" for society to conduct themselves in. There are some I definitely do not like, but I sacrifice some of my "freedom" for the greater good.

That said, get ready fellow O.H. V.'ers - changes are coming. I am involved with the S.S.R.P. planning that is currently going on, and we are told it is going to be used as a template for the rest of the province, and A MAXIMUM EXHAUST SOUND LEVEL IS COMING FOR O.H.V.'S AS WELL AS TRAIL WIDTH DESIGNATIONS FOR DIFFERENT TRAIL TYPES/O.H.V.'S (like the newer ones in Kananaskis Counrty). Not my rules, but what is being discussed at the meetings, and goes along with other developed trail systmes for O.H.V.'s in other jurisdictions in Cananda and the U.S.A.

The days of the "wild, wild west" will come to an end (eventually) with the N.D.P. in power, the organized O.H.V. clubs asking for better trails and the environmentalists wanting any area they deem "wild spaces" pushing their agenda. The first step, increased boots on the ground down south here, has already started this process, and an increase in back country patrols is being discussed. The Oldman Watershed Council has Outreach Workers talking to O.H.V.'ers last summer and this one, and there is a consensus for better trails by "weekend warriors". Along with this comes changes, education as to why the changes are happening, and increased fines if one chooses to ignore the "new realities".

The future will be different, and better, for most. People who do not adopt to the changes - when they happen - will never be happy, and will be the minority.

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I shortened your rant a bit.

Bottom line is over time societies and technologies advance. At a given time - never to early, but sometimes late - new laws and regulations are in-acted to create a "baseline" for society to conduct themselves in. There are some I definitely do not like, but I sacrifice some of my "freedom" for the greater good.

That said, get ready fellow O.H. V.'ers - changes are coming. I am involved with the S.S.R.P. planning that is currently going on, and we are told it is going to be used as a template for the rest of the province, and A MINIMUM EXHAUST SOUND LEVEL IS COMING FOR O.H.V.'S AS WELL AS TRAIL WIDTH DESIGNATIONS FOR DIFFERENT TRAIL TYPES/O.H.V.'S (like the newer ones in Kananaskis Counrty). Not my rules, but what is being discussed at the meetings, and goes along with other developed trail systmes for O.H.V.'s in other jurisdictions in Cananda and the U.S.A.

The days of the "wild, wild west" will come to an end (eventually) with the N.D.P. in power, the organized O.H.V. clubs asking for better trails and the environmentalists wanting any area they deem "wild spaces" pushing their agenda. The first step, increased boots on the ground down south here, has already started this process, and an increase in back country patrols is being discussed. The Oldman Watershed Council has Outreach Workers talking to O.H.V.'ers last summer and this one, and there is a consensus for better trails by "weekend warriors". Along with this comes changes, education as to why the changes are happening, and increased fines if one chooses to ignore the "new realities".

The future will be different, and better, for most. People who do not adopt to the changes - when they happen - will never be happy, and will be the minority.

Scott,

do you mean a MAXIMUM Exhaust Volume? not a "minimum"? I can't see them saying our OHV's Must be XX dB loud

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For you guys saying you don't like the government telling you what to do or that it should be your choice your not seeing the big picture. They are forcing us to do it to try and protect not just ourselves but others as well and now the technology is readily available and affordable so there is no reason not to.

Sure it's your choice not to wear it or not and sure maybe you think you don't ride aggressive enough to ever take a spill but your forgetting to think about who has to deal with you if something were to happen.

If your brain gets squished because you had a rollover, someone else runs into you causing a wreck, etc, it's the first responders, hospital staff, your family, your friends that all have to deal with it from just an injury and recovery to if you die.

They are the ones that have to scrape your brains off the ground and stuff it in a bag, they are the ones that have to see it, they are the ones that have to wipe your ass, and empty your piss bag because you knocked yourself into retardation from lack of a helmet.

It's a huge mental and emotional impact that lasts a long time for those involved. Plus a huge monetary value in the end that we ALL pay for one way or another. Maybe you don't give a $hit about any of this, but chances are it's because your just a selfish arsehole.

It's the same reason seatbelts became mandatory decades ago. People were needlessly dying in accidents that were survivable if wearing a seatbelt. And insurance companies and the government were tired of paying for it considering the cost of clicking the belt was free.

Use your head and wear your helmet.
Use your head to learn how to not crash!

I see this on sleds all the time where stupids get more machine than they have skill for, and get hurt.... maybe not a head injury cus they have a helmet. ... but still hurt.

Helmets are a fine idea for most recreational uses... and I use mine ,
But we do not need the government to protect us from ourselves! !

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I guess a helmet law is probably a good idea protect those to stupid to realize wearing a helmet could be the difference from your buddies laughing about that nasty crash you had all those years ago to you being killed in that crash. I speak from experience high speed crash on the old ATK 406 cracked my Bell helmet but lived to tell the tail. I have been riding dirt bikes and now quads since I was 12 and I am an old guy now an have always rode with a helmet. But I worry the NDP will always side with the tree hugers and we will wind up regulated to death. Also a license? And who would be giving this test experienced riders or burocrats who don't know jack. Just my 2 cents

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe its time for you to move to another country being this one is so bad. Full of cramp your style laws, Indonesia or China are good, so is Mexico you don't have to wear a helmet there. The government dont give a poop there, do what ever you want to satisfy your pleasures.
I suspect that the majority of people on here biotching about this law have travel very little to countries that laws are almost non existent when it comes to the well being of the general population. If anarchy rings a better bell for you....please move. BTW, when you do get hurt, see how well your medical coverage does for you in those countries.
IMO, the helmet law is not the only thing they should impose when it come's to atv's and utv's or even dirt bike's. I'd like to see mandatory operator certification before being able to operate anyone of these. It is proven, people in general DO NOT self regulate and level of standard, with no regulation or order put in place you get chaos, people needlessly getting hurt or killed.
You might feel your discipline enough to self regulate and i might feel the same but we live in an interconnected society and what you do effects others and what others do effect you. Not every one is of the same level of discipline. We all need a basic standard level of requirement to prevent unnecessary issues.
I see on a regular basis families riding atv's and utv's with no helmet's, even young people doubling on atv's with no helmets. If parents don't set examples for younger people then somebody else will and should.

So, you don't agree with me so you want me to move to another country. WOW pretty mature guy.....
Let's go a little further away from personal safety. Are you over weight? is your wife or kid's? If so
I think that should be illegal and you should be fined for it...........over weight people are harder on the
health care system that I pay for than non over weight people.(heart attack's, joint replacement and 1000
other thing's)cost the health care system BILLION'S of dollar's every year.That's a fact.
How many billion's does head related injuries that a helmet would have prevented cost?
I would assume the # is very very low. Let's also not forget helmet's also cause some injuries.
And as far as a license goes,do you really think paying money and taking an online test saves lives?
Not a chance.
You wear your helmet, that's totally up to you. I'll wear mine,that's totally up to me.
but IMO no one has the right to make other's do the same.Personal safety is up to that individual
to decide.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, you don't agree with me so you want me to move to another country. WOW pretty mature guy.....
Let's go a little further away from personal safety. Are you over weight? is your wife or kid's? If so
I think that should be illegal and you should be fined for it...........over weight people are harder on the
health care system that I pay for than non over weight people.(heart attack's, joint replacement and 1000
other thing's)cost the health care system BILLION'S of dollar's every year.That's a fact.
How many billion's does head related injuries that a helmet would have prevented cost?
I would assume the # is very very low. Let's also not forget helmet's also cause some injuries.
And as far as a license goes,do you really think paying money and taking an online test saves lives?
Not a chance.
You wear your helmet, that's totally up to you. I'll wear mine,that's totally up to me.
but IMO no one has the right to make other's do the same.Personal safety is up to that individual
to decide.
Interesting analogy, fat people vs helmet law LOL.
Please look up "DISCRIMINATION", i don't think it applies to helmet wearing, but your post on fat people LOL....good one.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive barley ever seen anyone ride without a helmet, but maybe I just ride with professional people. Better have it on to go across campsite now or wash it , load it, look for deadfall,etc just another tool to screw you over.......it's so wonderful how an urban socialist government, is getting so involved in rual affairs!

I agree very rarely around the Calgary riding areas do I ever see anyone without a helmet. Now when I ride up north near the small towns helmets aren't very popular.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think we need another law to tell us what to wear, if you think you need such a law why don't you move to a place that already has one. then you can be happy in your police state.

Top Bottom