Alberta out of province inspections

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I fixed some lights and checked everything over still need to replace signal light switch($175 from ford) and a tie rod end. Going to try to get the inspection done next week when the switch comes in.
Here's what I am working on its going to replace the long box that was wrote off(SEE MY AVATAR)

looks good , just bought a 79 f150 shortbox 4x4 that my kid and I will restore :smilieicon_ford:

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am licenced to do the Alberta OOP and I hate doing them. You can only have factory tinted windows. No aftermarket tint is allowed no matter how light it is. The vehicle has to be almost perfect to pass. This is because Alberta used to be a dumping ground for written-off vehicles. If I pass an unsafe car I can lose my auto tech licence.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't do any older vehicles because in B.C. they won't pass and we are the bad guy's. Nothing older than 2005 and not over 100000km. We are the only guy's in town to inspect propane units you can't get your propane unit inspected from a guy with out his building being certified. If you do you pay twice him then me cost then 240.00 YOU SHOULD SEE THE JUNK OUT THERE 2/3 WOULD NOT PASS

Philster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pitbulll.webs.com
THE main concern is safety YOURS and every one Else's on the Road .
Would you like it is Your significant other was killed by a TIE ROD that fell off.
130.00$ is cheap insurance that your vehicle is safe.
After all the Government is just doing what the TAX payer asked for and making the Highway's a safe place to Drive.

But I used to do them until I had to deal with TOO many Whiners so I let my License lapse.
:):)

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THE main concern is safety YOURS and every one Else's on the Road .
Would you like it is Your significant other was killed by a TIE ROD that fell off.
130.00$ is cheap insurance that your vehicle is safe.
After all the Government is just doing what the TAX payer asked for and making the Highway's a safe place to Drive.

But I used to do them until I had to deal with TOO many Whiners so I let my License lapse.
:):)

Yeah except for the idiot who blows by you with a temporary spare tire at 120km/h. I am ALL for a standard but it should apply to all not just out of province inspections. A lot of the technical details that are required to pass an out of province are crazy. There are probably 30/40% of vehicles that are currently registered in Alberta that could not pass this test.:realmad::realmad::realmad:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:realmad:I feel that safety is first, But I think we should have more road side check stops. We can't get them all because some are licenced and are not in for inspections yet driving on our roads. Lots of guy's drive junk (WELL IT ONLY GOES FROM POINT A TO B) I am so sick of hearing that. People pay good money for a vehicle (new) they should last longer then they do. Most people bitch when you give then a bill for 300.00 for a repair that was a safety problem. Then you get guy's that are the other way (why didn't you fix it I don't care what it cost) almost ready to get out of the trade but some of the kids coming up just suck!!!:realmad: I have two in my shop and I am the boss and I do all the hard work they want to do all the computer work and not fix:realmad:

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i to am licensed to do inspections. same opinion as everyone on here it seems. however i feel that All alberta vehicles should have a complete inspection every couple years not just commercial units. the media always puts down the commercial guys saying only 10% of vehicles checked passed. well lets start stopping every day joe blow i would put money on it that less than 5% would pass. especially if we started doing an emmisions test. i really hate the guys who can dissapear from the traffic lights in cloud of blue smoke. just my 2 cents.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
the media always puts down the commercial guys saying only 10% of vehicles checked passed. well lets start stopping every day joe blow i would put money on it that less than 5% would pass.

WE SERVICE A FEW "HIGH" PROFILE MEDIA TYPES(RADIO, TV, AND NEWSPAPER PERSONALITITES) AND THEY HAVE SOME OF THE WORST MAINTAINED VEHICLES OUT THERE..... THE ONE VEHICLE NEEDS TIE-RODS(ALMOST DANGEROUS), AND HE TOLD US LAST TIME, "IT JUST GETS ME TO THE TV STATION AND BACK"........... THAT'S FRUSTRATING!! AND YET THEY MAKE THE REPORTS AND BLOW SITUTATIONS LIKE THE COMMERCIAL GUYS(ONLY10% PASSING) RIGHT OUT OF THE WATER, WHILE THEIR OWN VEHICLES WOULDN'T PASS AN INSPECTION!!!!!:rant:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two very good company's that let me service their units and it is fix as required, Don't even phone us change what ever you think is unsafe then call to pick up the units. These are the people that have low to no brake downs.

synetic

Reaction score
hello all, I will post here incase Summitric doesn't reply to his PM... I have a Toyota Celica needing an OoP inspection soon, and I want to clarify things before I send it in:

1) Side orange markers - MUST they be orange in total colour (bulb, and lens colour)? Mine are clear, but blink orange. Is this sufficient? I ask because plenty of newer cars have the clear style OEM, but blink orange to satisfy safety regs...

2) Block heaters, I see no reference to them as mandatory on the Alberta Government OoP checklist, but I've heard of people being scammed into requiring one. What's the official deal?

thank you :)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If You're Ever Down Here In Edmonton, I Can Let You Read The Book From Dept Of Hiways, And It Is Quite Indepth.. Most Shops Do Overcharge And Do Too Much To The Vehicles. I Think The Average Out Of Province Check Is About $130.00.... Our Shop Only Charges $80.00. Needless To Say, We Do A Lot Of Those Inspections...... Pm Me If You Have Any Questions Or Concerns About The Out Of Province Checks..........;)

I could have drove to your shop from Red Deer and still been cheaper! Kal tire charged me $200 for the dually from BC, other shop wanted over $800 due to they wanted to pull axels to check E-brake.

700WFO

Reaction score
Clear lenses are okay as long as the bulbs are orange, as for block heaters, that is an optional piece of equipment that isn't related to a "safety inspection". Anyone who tries to say it's mandatory is out of it. However if the vehicle is equipped with one and the cord is in poor state, (frayed wires), that could be noted on the inspection form.

Top Bottom