A sad day at the Superford House

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mother nature took a toll this morning on all things Volkswagen at my place. I went outside to start the wife's Jetta TDI and even though it was plugged in it wouldn't start. So I went over to our new Touareg SUV, which thanks to VW has no block heater available, and no go either. Feeling pretty chipper at this point I figured why not try out ol' faithful. Walked over to the 97 F150 and she fired right up. I hung my head in shame and drove off to work. I now have $70 k in vehicles littering my driveway that won't start yet my old truck pulled through again. I can't wait to get home to try and get the VW's going in this balmy weather. Anyone have any suggestions on a good stick on block heater to use on the Touareg? :realmad:

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guess you'll have to buy a proheat! A buddy of mine had to borrow my generator today to plug in his diesel because his apartment building only turns on the power to the outlets for 20 mins every hour! Cheap landlords!

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5' length of 5" duct, with a 90 degree elbo on the end. Lay it on the ground, stick a tiger tourch in the strait end (about in only 6" or so), put the end with elbo pointing up at the oil pan. Let it run for about a half to an hour. Should be warm then. Make sure it's not pointed at any rubber or plastic, the air comming out of there will be about 400 degrees.

You can get magnetic heater from maybe peavy mart, co-op or princess auto, maybe canadian tire. Just so you know, they suck. You likley won't be able to stick it anywhere on a toyota, it's likely all aluminum. Maybe the oil pan if it's a low end model. Even then, it will barly work. I would use the tirger tourch idea, get it running and take it strait into the dealer for a proper block heater installed.

You might get a recerculating heater in it, but I doubt it. Plus then can be trouble down the road.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we went to Chetwynd for a ride yesterday and my buddy parked his brand spanking Nissan Titan (?) in the yard. asked him if he wanted to plug it in and he said it had no block heater, and would start in any weather.....got back at 9pm last nite and she was no go...my other buddies '04 Chevy parked right beside it wasn't plugged in and fired right up.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first car back in high school was a 1971 Ford Mustang witha 302. I'm sure most of you remember what January's were like back in the late 80's, very similar to yesterday. I could leave the old Mustang out front of the house for a week, with the wind blowing straight into the engine compartment through the front. First turn of the key it would start....always!!! I have a Nissan now, no block heater but do run light weight synthetic. No issues so far. Dealership told me that block heater is not needed if running synthetic 5w30 or even better, 0w30 which they apparently run in Europe for that very reason.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could install a inline block heater, if you can find a port on the bottom of the block, as they work on a "heat rises principle" When hooked up right they work better than a block heater

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Dealership told me that block heater is not needed if running synthetic 5w30 or even better, 0w30 which they apparently run in Europe for that very reason.

Hoping for your SAKE... You don't have to make a liar out of them !! :D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Mother nature took a toll this morning on all things Volkswagen at my place. I went outside to start the wife's Jetta TDI and even though it was plugged in it wouldn't start. So I went over to our new Touareg SUV, which thanks to VW has no block heater available, and no go either. Feeling pretty chipper at this point I figured why not try out ol' faithful. Walked over to the 97 F150 and she fired right up. I hung my head in shame and drove off to work. I now have $70 k in vehicles littering my driveway that won't start yet my old truck pulled through again. I can't wait to get home to try and get the VW's going in this balmy weather. Anyone have any suggestions on a good stick on block heater to use on the Touareg? :realmad:

YOU SHOULD CALL ME TOMORROW... I THINK WE HAD THIS PROBLEM ON A COUPLE TOUAREGS LAST MONTH AND FOUND SOME AFTERMARKET ONES THAT WORKED GREAT... CALL ME TOMORROW AND I'LL FIND OUT: 464-6000.......

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first car back in high school was a 1971 Ford Mustang witha 302. I'm sure most of you remember what January's were like back in the late 80's, very similar to yesterday. I could leave the old Mustang out front of the house for a week, with the wind blowing straight into the engine compartment through the front. First turn of the key it would start....always!!! I have a Nissan now, no block heater but do run light weight synthetic. No issues so far. Dealership told me that block heater is not needed if running synthetic 5w30 or even better, 0w30 which they apparently run in Europe for that very reason.
he has 5-30 synthetic in his Nissan, as recommended by the dealer. it was -32 according to my GM

Hoping for your SAKE... You don't have to make a liar out of them !! :D
lol....he wasn't as upset with the dealer as he was embarassed for saying it would start....cause now we gotta rib him....:D

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what oil is in the engine, I still would want a block heater for days like these. I also run 5W30 synthetic, but when it gets colder than -25 I plug the truck in, have a outside timer that I use. Soon I won't need it though, the garage is almost ready for heat.

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No block heater available through VW. I thought about the stick on type and may go that way once the weather smartens up a bit. The Touareg started when I got home from work and started first try this morning. Who would have known. I do run synthetic as directed by VW. Like a sucker I even had my last oil change done at the dealership. Mostly because you have to put her on a hoist and remove all the factory skid plates just to get to the filters and drain plug. Thanks for all your help guys.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough if you look up the history of the block heater here in Canada it was implemented as a governement mandate to reduce emissions at startup and to reduce warm up idle times. Regardless of it's origin I do agree that it works in our climate, especially for getting heat in the cab quickly. Funny thing is that in the US and in many parts of Eurpoe they don't use block heaters. As I stated, many of Europes cars now run 0w30 fully synthetic. When researching the block heater for the Nissan I got to speak with a couple guys that had moved to Alaska. Even spoke to a guy in a NAPA store one day who works up in Northern AB. All these guys were running Mobil 1 0w30 synthetic in thier trucks and did not use block heaters. More due to the fact a plugin was not available where they were. I find it interesting. This morning will be the real test of the truck. I'll let you guys know what happens one way or another....just for interests sake. If it doesn't work then let the ribbing begin.:)

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Interestingly enough if you look up the history of the block heater here in Canada it was implemented as a governement mandate to reduce emissions at startup and to reduce warm up idle times. Regardless of it's origin I do agree that it works in our climate, especially for getting heat in the cab quickly. Funny thing is that in the US and in many parts of Eurpoe they don't use block heaters. As I stated, many of Europes cars now run 0w30 fully synthetic. When researching the block heater for the Nissan I got to speak with a couple guys that had moved to Alaska. Even spoke to a guy in a NAPA store one day who works up in Northern AB. All these guys were running Mobil 1 0w30 synthetic in thier trucks and did not use block heaters. More due to the fact a plugin was not available where they were. I find it interesting. This morning will be the real test of the truck. I'll let you guys know what happens one way or another....just for interests sake. If it doesn't work then let the ribbing begin.:)
THE MAJORITY OF CANADA DOES NOT USE OR EVEN HAVE BLOCK HEATERS IN THEIR VEHICLES.....WE DOO A LOT OF "OUT OF PROVINCE" INSPECTIONS FOR VEHICLES FROM ALL ACROSS CANADA AND HARDLY ANY OF THEM HAVE BLOCK HEATERS.... MOST OF SASK AND MANITOBA AND YUKON/TERRITORIES AND CENTRAL AND NORTHERN ALBERTA AND NORTHERNMOST BC USUALLY HAVE BLOCK HEATERS IN THE VEHICLES(MANUFACTURER ORDERED OR DEALER INSTALLED).... INTERESTING? YOU BET!

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine starting a diesel in this cold without one. Some of the bigger trucks have more than one.

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hehehe my 02 duramax with 400 k on it has been running since last saturday lol Hate cold trucks

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I Only Plugged In The Big Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel Last Nite For 4 Hours.... 1st Time I Ever Plugged Her In. Has Been Starting In This Cold Weather No Problemo. Note: Wifes Caravan And Daughter's Grand Am Never Started Today.... Spent 1 1/2 Hours Getting The Caravan Going, And Grand Am Just Got Towed To The Shop(security Theft System Problem).... Probably Shoulda Plugged Them Both In Last Nite Too, Eh???

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alittle gas and a road flare for the customers car.........guarantee a little heat.......warm er up:BBQ: ill bring the weenies (and helmut)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nissan moaned a little but started in about 5 to 6 seconds. Only took a moment for the oil to move and quiet things down. Heat came fairly quick. All in all I'm impressed.

No ribbing needed.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As embarassing as it is, I had a three cylinder firefly when I was going to university. The battery was hooped so my Dad picked me up a 1000 cold cranking amp battery from John Deere. I never needed to plug it in as that battery would crank it over no problem on -45 Saskatchewan winter days with lotsa wind. I hated the car but it always started.:)

Top Bottom