9 year old on an 800

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on the kid but a 800 is a serious sled. As a sledder from birth my dad made sure we could ride the bag of of our current sled before upgrades even were considered. For full control of a sled the rider must be comfortable with bursts of full throttle. For a kid to try and learn technical stuff while idling around on a big sled itis hard. It will slow his learning down for sure. As far as a phaser I as most on here bought one for momma. We couldn't ride the stupid Thing. We rode 6 km and she made me get the truck. It's a stand up aggressive sled. Fun for me to rat bag. She hated it as do most of the women who's husbands by them one. Don't forget how many men get mamed in the old days on a srx440. Or eltigre 6000. Or a blizzard 9500. These sleds won't compare to a f600 of today. That said the law of 14 yrs old is stupid. If your kids a ripper turn him loose and good for him. Hell. My brother drove dad home from Winnipeg in the winter at 12yrs cause dad had been drinking. But that was the old days

Ahhh the old Blizzard 9500's. Good times. We also had a John Deere Liquifier that would pull our arms off.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is interesting, I'm with everyone else who is saying u know your child best. My daughters are fortunate enough that we have a few sleds and have been riding iron all there lives. Around home last year my 10 year old was riding the 1100t and the nytro a few times cause she was getting bored of the z120 that being said would I let her in mountains not a chance. I'm very confident in her riding abilities as far as rider safety, tether use, throttle control ect. Again they have been around recreation rides all there lives.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 6 years away from being in your shoes, but have been thinking about the 'progression' already.

I agree with most that a smaller might be better. If given an 800 at age 9, there really isn't allowing them much time to learn the basics, and build important skills. In my eyes, less horsepower mean more skills.

I understand the cool factor and all, but to me, he'll thank you for encouraging him to be a better rider, instead of the douche on the biggest sled who is forced to be dangerous instead of impressive.

And, it leaves them something to progress to, and build towards. Once the machine can no longer do what you can, you upgrade it.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thee younger they start the better they can get because they learn to drive the vehicle instead of the vehicle driving them. People have the notion that a big person can muscle the sled around, while you may be able to ,in reality that is a bad habit, unless you have a strong back and a weak mind. That's my riding pholosphy. I was very little when I started riding on a full size sled that was underpowered. I learned lots about momentum and inertia because the HP was in short supply and I had to ride smart. I am glad that's how I learned. And 14 is way to old to be learning this stuff. That's why we have terrible drivers on the roads!

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
My 10 year old learned to ride dirt at the age of 6 and this will be his first year learning to handle a sled on his own. Even with him already demonstrating to me that he can handle a throttle, he'll be introduced to it gradually...and he'll learn more about the trees than WOT. I got him a 600 which is plenty for a kid of his age, and for the first while, it'll be throttle stopped. No chance he'll be riding an 800 for a few years no matter how plentiful or cheap they become. Life is precious, and one mistake is all it takes to have outlived an offspring (something I would not forgive myself for)! I'll side with giving him one inch of rope at a time and let him earn it...gradually.

Common sense and patience prevails here.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen a vast majority of adults that shouldn't be on 800's, but like everyone else says he's your kid and you know him better then us. Can he start it? Roll it over? Seems like a lot of weight for a 9 year old. I rode a 440 until I was about 12 then a 600 until 15 and a 700 till I was 22 and been on 8's ever since, there is a lot of power there and pretty easy to get into trouble if you can't manage it correctly.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As many have said already you know you kid best. But I would say an 800 is a lot for a 9 year old. Here is our progression story.
I started taking my boy to the mountains when he was 8. He is also a MX racer which teaches you a tremendous amount of throttle control. He is now 19. He started riding a xlt 600 around home when he was 8 at the time I have a 670 summit. He rode with me in the mountains until he was 12. When we were I would let him ride my sled whatever it was. The first sled he rode in the mountains on his own was my 670 at 12 I had moved to an 06 summit. I rode that for a couple year and then bought a 09 and put the kid on my 06 800 at 14. He was a small kid for 14 maybe 110lbs. But like someone said you don't need weight to ride a sled you need the skills. Although he was a little turd on that sled he could ride it. But if he got stuck he was screwed. Whatever you decide at least you are spending time with your kid. Enjoying the outdoors and not throwing a game controller at him to keep him busy.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Deffinatly gonna keep him off the 800 and focus my looking for a 600. Still has a lot of power for him but Deffinatly a smarter choice. He only rides these machines supervised closely. Thanks Vince

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a good choice Dad. an 800 would be simply too much machine, and could pose such danger it simply isn't worth the risk.
We just took a 600 in on trade at the shop, and all 4 of my kids re woo hoooing about. That machine is a great size for my 12 and 14 year olds. It is a nice all round booting around size for the kids and they will learn confidently respecting the power rather than having a machine that is too powerful spook their confidence level. When Brook was 15 she bought "chuckie" a little safari that she had a blast on. It was hers and she loved every minute of it. Now my oldest kids are 17 and 18 year olds and can handle our 800 cc sleds but for the littles I want them to grow into their machines in mind size and skill.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know quite a few guys that stick with their 600's because they don't feel an 800 is necessary.

If you buy him a 600 and decide he needs a 700 or 800. You can always turn around and sell it without taking that much of a hit(if any). However, to get him an 800 then decide that he can't handle it or he gets himself into trouble. It will be hard on him and his confidence as a rider, easy to upgrade but hard to downgrade.

You can look at it this way, get him a 600 then in 2-3 seasons(if you think he's ready) you can give him your sled and you get a new one!

P.S. Ignore the posters trying to make you feel like an idiot for even considering an 800 for a 9 year old. You are a great dad, you wouldn't be making this thread looking for unbiased opinions if you weren't, cheers.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah gonna go look at a 600. Should be good for what he's gonna do. Don't plan on sending him to climb turbo or anything just figure he will have a little more fun in the powder with the bigger track. Plus I imagine I ll get my workout digging his but out. We are not much into climbing just wanna boondock

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Booger has a mint M6 for sale.Would fit your needs perfectly.

You beet me to it Mike!! LOL

Boggers M6 for sale.jpg
The black cat is for sale

Stock 2011 Arctic Cat M6 for sale. 1289 miles 100 hours comes with cover & spare belt. 153" x 2.25 track excellent condition looking for $6800 OBO

Mtdgt

Reaction score
I had to sign a waiver with my insurance company for the past 3 years based on my son being under 16. If you think your 9 year old is insured id double check.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to buy special insurance for him. His gramma is our insurance lady so better be covered

Top Bottom