9 year old on an 800

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering opinions on and experiences with kids on 800 machines. My son currently rides a 550 polaris pretty well aswell as a kx 65 dirt bike so he seems to no how to handle the power. I would ideally like to find him a newer phazer 500 with 144 track or rmk or m6 with 144 track aswell. However they seem to be hard to find. So now I'm debating an 800 for him because they seem readily availible. I'm looking for one with the upriding position like a dirt bike. What do you guys think. Thanks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering opinions on and experiences with kids on 800 machines. My son currently rides a 550 polaris pretty well aswell as a kx 65 dirt bike so he seems to no how to handle the power. I would ideally like to find him a newer phazer 500 with 144 track or rmk or m6 with 144 track aswell. However they seem to be hard to find. So now I'm debating an 800 for him because they seem readily availible. I'm looking for one with the upriding position like a dirt bike. What do you guys think. Thanks

i think you may be getting a visit from childwelfare real soon. you are kidding right!!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If your son is mature regarding the throttle, I see no problem. You know him better than we doo.

I have a 17 year old grandson who started with the smaller machines and by the time he was 9 he was on an 800. It was no problem. He knew where and when to use the throttle and didn't get himself into any trouble. The trail ride on the way up was the main concern and we just kept him in the middle. Once to the open meadows he had a lot of fun. He was sure nervous in the trees and that toned down the throttle quite a bit.

I'm a little mellower that imdoo'n............

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode with a group where a 10yr old was riding a newer M8. Kid was a good rider, I'll give him that but almost everyone in the group stayed clear of him after a few whisky throttle incidents. Keep looking for the right machine for your kid. Don't put him on something that he shouldn't be on because it is readily available....

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I may keep looking. He started riding at 2.5 years of age on both sled and dirt bike and has really good control of the throttle. Just figured it was also a great excuse for me to buy another spare sled aswell. Lol. Easier to convince wife

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's for flatland riding, I'd try to find a 600. If you're mountain riding, an 800 would be great. The 800 won't make or break your boy in the powder but if he's ripping it up in the fields and ditches, things happen fast on an 800.

Personally I've ridden and had some friend's buy Phazer's for their wifes, they do not work in powder. WOT and barely moving, they can't get out of their own way. A newer 600 M or even an RMK IQ 600 chassis would eat a Phazer for breakfast on the hills. Not to mention they are high centered and tippy if you guys are trail riding. It's fun but sketchy. But they are dead reliable motors.

I'd recommend an 800 for the hills and like you say, you've got a good back up sled and resale down the road will be better too.

Last edited:

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure your price range but I was a big fan of the IQ RMK 600's and 700's. Great handling sleds, prices are reasonable, and very reliable. Of course, the M8's are very capable machines. The best years were the 10/11's. HO motor and lighter weight.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your son is mature regarding the throttle, I see no problem. You know him better than we doo.

I have a 17 year old grandson who started with the smaller machines and by the time he was 9 he was on an 800. It was no problem. He knew where and when to use the throttle and didn't get himself into any trouble. The trail ride on the way up was the main concern and we just kept him in the middle. Once to the open meadows he had a lot of fun. He was sure nervous in the trees and that toned down the throttle quite a bit.

I'm a little mellower that imdoo'n............

i sure hope the police officer is too. The law in alberta states you must be 14 or older to operate a offroad vehicle ( snowmobile, atv, dirt bike etc). Unless there is someone 18 or older riding on the vehicle with the youngster or in immediate vicinity (as in hearing range). There is no restriction on size of vehicle , just common sense. a 9 yr old kid does not have the body strength to operate a 800 sled safely. can't believe anyone would even think this is all right, your kid only gets killed once.

140 hp plus sled and a 65-90 lb kid just don't mix, this is close to the most irresponsible thing i have ever heard. lol

Last edited:

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think an 800 might be a bit big. If you can find an M6 or similar type machine you would be better off and it will last him for years as they go good. My 11 yr old is now on a 2007 F5 with a 136" track and he has been ridin since he was 4. He has ridden my 2010 M8 before but he is nowhere near strong enough to ride it full time. To big of a machine and your young one will probalbly tire quickly and that is when mistakes happen. Just my 2 cents.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 40 and after a few consecutive days of riding I get tired and my sled rides me. Which usually coincides with a bumper and other miscellaneous parts.

I vote be patient and purchase a 600.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
My son was riding dirtbikes at the age of 2.5 also. He's now 14 and rides a kx250f and has won both his motocross class and his harescramble class this year. He is 6' tall and 160lbs. He also has 2 yrs experience on a smaller cc sled. Would I put him on an 800? Phuck no! He knows just enough to get himself into trouble I think. Speed if definitely the factor. 600 would be alright for him I think.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know your kid...My son at age 8 was riding my 800 around the yard. I won't turn him loose with it, but with me or while they are being monitored I don't see it being a problem. A 600 is not that far off an 800.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600 is my vote. The jump from 550 to a 800 is huge, it's over double the hp. My gf has a 570 mountain cat and I have a xf800. Riding them back to back really shows how much more throttle control is necessary cause a small blip on the 8 and it's moving, where as I have to hold the 550 down for a while if I want to get anywhere quickly. I grew up on a 570 and I did just fine. . I'd say depending on his size maybe even keep the 550 a bit before going to a 6.

Limbo

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has brought up a turbo yet.....that way you can BOTH still ride it until he is in his 50's or longer. Best bang for your buck for sure! :Hammer3:

If the sarcasm isn't apparent enough its above this. If you truly want your son to snowmobile in the mountains with you invest in the appropriate machine then upgrade when the time is right: You mentioned a KX65 above, why didn't you just get him 450 as I know they are far easier to come by than the 65's

Last edited:

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600 is my vote. The jump from 550 to a 800 is huge, it's over double the hp. My gf has a 570 mountain cat and I have a xf800. Riding them back to back really shows how much more throttle control is necessary cause a small blip on the 8 and it's moving, where as I have to hold the 550 down for a while if I want to get anywhere quickly. I grew up on a 570 and I did just fine. . I'd say depending on his size maybe even keep the 550 a bit before going to a 6.

The 570 is stil over 60 hp. A liquid cooled 500 would also be a nice next step up if he could find one.

MADMAN

Reaction score
i sure hope the police officer is too. The law in alberta states you must be 14 or older to operate a offroad vehicle ( snowmobile, atv, dirt bike etc). Unless there is someone 18 or older riding on the vehicle with the youngster or in immediate vicinity (as in hearing range). There is no restriction on size of vehicle , just common sense. a 9 yr old kid does not have the body strength to operate a 800 sled safely. can't believe anyone would even think this is all right, your kid only gets killed once.

140 hp plus sled and a 65-90 lb kid just don't mix, this is close to the most irresponsible thing i have ever heard. lol

F the police, ACAB. Fight the power LOL

But I agree, too much power and speed to have behind a kid. I know id be wanting to try it to the throttle stops when I was young with Dad not around

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought - hop up the fanner. Cut the head to raise compression, stretch the sled, lower the gearing, get a single pipe made to match the motor package. Add some gun drilled shafts, light rotor, and lightweight suspension / body components. (I did this once with an S-chassis doo, it was a blast to ride). You can make a fanner go places if you can ride, but if your talent consists of hitting the throttle, you won't be doing the kid any favors by putting him on a high hp machine, including a liquid 600 (which has at least double the hp of the fanner). IMHO, it is far better to have a kid grow out of a sled then into it...

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You know your son better than any one mine will be 13 in a month and this will be his fourth season on a 700 dragon 155 he follows us any where in the mountains and handles this sled well. He has been sledding and racing dirt bikes since he was 4 as well.

Top Bottom