800R PTEK Reliable ?

jjhann

Reaction score
I searched far and wide for some reviews or videos or anything on the 2013 Summit Sport 800R PTEK. I can't find much info on it.
Is it a good motor ? It's carbed, but I don't mind that. I just want something reliable.
I'm purchasing my first sled and It's either a 2013 Summit 600carb (146") or 800R PTEK (154") with 2.25" Paddles.
I'm trying to find how these ride on trails as I have never ventured off trails before, but this is something I want to do, but, I still want to trail ride.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with the 800ptek 154 and that is the exact sled the wife is going to for nexted yr.........Great pricing

extrmsled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a 2010 p-tek
all original except slp head and it has 5000 km
key is good gas and good warm up-even after a lunch break
only thing i don't like is flooding out after a roll over.
but with all the sputtering e-tek motors around think i will drive it till it blows an put in a new motor

sscamaro_skwark

Reaction score
I think you might be happier with a Renegade than a Summit based on your question
I sold my takeoff 154" x 2 1/4" track to a fellow in Sk that did mostly lake/trail riding, high speed, low snow/hard pack conditions (trails)
If I remember correctly he only had 1500kms on his track before losing most of the paddles (I have over 2400kms on my 163" x 2 1/4 in the mountains)
just a thought as I don't know exactly what you have rode, how, or where
As far as engine wise they seem to be great at lower elevation as long as you let them warm up (co-worker has over 5k kms on his Renegade 800R P-tek although I rode with a guy w/ over 5k kms on his 11 Etec Summit, but have heard that many sled rode in the mountains pop sooner although he lives in the mountains)
As far as trail manners they are definietely a lot more tippy (36" ski stance), buddy bugs me when I do ride at low elevation because I tend to be on 1 ski, but I like to play & dislike trails, I told him ride with 1 ski maximum on the snow, even better with no skies on the snow
I rode a friends 09 Renegade 800R P-tek with a 137" x 1 3/4" paddle last week at low elevation in the fields, would be my choice for playing on the plains sled & no it won't compare to a summit in deep mountain powder but it all depends on how & where you ride, it is a very good crossover sled (trail off trail prairie style)
I ride a 09 Summit 800R P-tek & a 12 Summit 800R E-tec, both with 163s
They are not trail carvers by any means although the wider stance of my 09 w/ sway bar disconnected is better on trail than my 12 w/ sway bar connected, but I only ride trails at the extreme minimum, & I usually only ride at lower elevation to make sure they are running well before I go mountain bound, or after a heavy snowfall (my trail rides are only to get to riding spots in the mountains),
The skidoo's have a 16" wide track so a 137" renedage will have a footprint very similar to the longer sleds of AC, Poo, & Yammy
Just my opinion based on your question & my experience, if we had more snow in the prairies I would love to also add a Renny to my list of sleds, the Backcountry of course w/ 1 3/4" paddle as I don't like beaten path (I almost bought one in 09 but went with the 09 summit, I am glad I did as I ride them mostly in the mountains)
The best thing you can do is ride some friends sleds & get a feel for what will best suite your needs where you ride, & buy the sled that is best suited to how you like to ride & HIT THE SNOW & HAVE FUN!!!!!

Top Bottom