800r leaned out on clutch side .

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Piston gurus please have a look and opinions on what caused failure please .
Details : 09 XP 3300 miles MCB pistons / rings top end done at 2300. ,
Sled was running good yesterday , engine light came on a cpl times yesterday , checked things over but couldn't find anything and 10 Kms up trail today lost power and died, towed down belt off and this is what we found ,
nype6yja.jpg
jyqy9ajy.jpg
g
ysu3umuq.jpg
esazenub.jpg
huvyzu3e.jpg

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crank seal, Reed boot, dirty carb, bad gas. Start the process of elimination. Pretty sure I have a complete used top end. Would need new rings though.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crank seal, Reed boot, dirty carb, bad gas. Start the process of elimination. Pretty sure I have a complete used top end. Would need new rings though.
That looks like the last motor i took out on warrenty in the 07 r era when the connecting rod lower bearing when out.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Am putting a short block in my 09 right now. Cause I believe was the oil cable had only 2 strands left holding on right near the pump. Second time I have seen this.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mcb had a recall a yr ago ,they had wrist pin bearings falling apart and was causing major issues,,pull the piston off and see if the wrist pin is still in one piece. You might have a claim...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Am putting a short block in my 09 right now. Cause I believe was the oil cable had only 2 strands left holding on right near the pump. Second time I have seen this.
when that cable does stretch or break, they go to full open so it pumps in too much oil....how do you figure that was the cause of engine failure?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's right ^^^^^^^. Never saw one of these oil pumps cause a failure. Lines to and from a different story. Lol
just hate to see someone mistakenly think that was the problem and slap a new engine in....only to find out that wasn't it and the issue remains. my oil cable was doing the same, had about 3 strands left on my '08 before I changed the cable.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Daughters 07 piston looked the basically the same when we tore it down and the cause was reed boot.
Couple grand for new short block and we were in business.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just hate to see someone mistakenly think that was the problem and slap a new engine in....only to find out that wasn't it and the issue remains. my oil cable was doing the same, had about 3 strands left on my '08 before I changed the cable.
The engine blew. Was changing anyways. I just suspected that was the cause. Thanks for clearing that up.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks more like detonation to me than a lean issue. Detonation can be caused by poor fuel. Or Bad bearings (crank or piston pin) getting bits of steel up top and causing pre-ignition (hot glowing metal that will act like a plug sparking) leading to detonation. The plug tip may be white but the dome of the head isn't. I agree with Rsaint. I would suspect a crank bearing going. Tightens squish up as well. Leading to an actual higher compression ratio slightly and risk of too low of octane and detonating. Crank bearing going can also cause the piston to hit the head and start pieces of aluminum to break off and cause detonation also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys I haven't responded all day , it's customer swap out day. So I haven't had a chance to check boots or do crank run out . I suspect crank bearing. Will a crank run out tell me if bearing is gone. I haven't pull the wrist pins yet either. I don't believe poor fuel was cause cause 2 sleds where filled from the same jerry cans that where filled up at same time , the sled does have 13.5 domes in a terra alps head.
Any idea how much r boys paying for a short block now a days ?

Sent from my iPad using

Top Bottom