800R big bore kits....whose do you have, and how's it workin?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am aware that the good aftermarket helix's have multiple angles.... there more of a parabolic curve than an angle... think of it like a clutch ramp. And you would need many as the ramp angle is static. On the shockwave you dont need so many unless your trying to tune to get all the mid range etc at elevation. Personally..... grip n rip, WOT is all i am concerned about.

But as a side note the shockwave was working awasome... it reveled i have some primary clutch issues, thinking i need a bigger primary spring. Adjustment was easier than doin the clickers. Pullin 7800 rpm @50mph track speeds. i would image if i fix my primary issues and get er to pull 8300 (where it should for twins) it would yielf more. Testing done at 8000ft today.

zeeberg7

Reaction score
I have the MOTS 880 pump gas kit. it seems to have great torque, but i am not seeing the results that I thought I would get. This kit is claimed to be around 173HP. Now I am working on clutching to make sure that I have it dialed in. also I am hearing that these MOTS 880 Kits need the timing advanced a little bit. does anyone know anything about this? this is the last thing i can think of that would make this engine perform the way i am told it should. Anyone have a MOTS kit that could share some info with me?

Thanks! I have been looking for a thread like this for a while. hopefully one of you Big Bore riders have some pointers for a rookie like me.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the MOTS 880 pump gas kit. it seems to have great torque, but i am not seeing the results that I thought I would get. This kit is claimed to be around 173HP. Now I am working on clutching to make sure that I have it dialed in. also I am hearing that these MOTS 880 Kits need the timing advanced a little bit. does anyone know anything about this? this is the last thing i can think of that would make this engine perform the way i am told it should. Anyone have a MOTS kit that could share some info with me?

Thanks! I have been looking for a thread like this for a while. hopefully one of you Big Bore riders have some pointers for a rookie like me.

There is a thread on another popular forum about your bigbore kit that you should read.....some interesting stuff in there. Can't/won't comment on it because I only read it and don't know any of the peeps involved. Good luck.

That being said, if I believed everything I read, I would not have a Terra Alps Racing kit on the way.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm... he never said what was wrong with the motor, he sounds like kind of a tool. If you are going to run a big bore, at least know what happened to the motor, and not just say the plugs were fine, the thing leaked coolant, and the compression was such and such.
With every builder, you will get the odd unsatisfied customer. Tom is top notch, he runs his motors safe and I would use him again.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there is more than one shop in St. Albert and the other one -APP- won't be seeing another penny from me. White smoke and burning antifreeze from the first time it started, cluth flew apart after less than 10KM, brakes still screwed, threw out my good hyfax, not the full width lug track I was supposed to get. Took it back and put new head gasket in as other was pinched, brakes still screwed and same track, but hey I got a FREE APP key chain to throw in the garbage. You bet I tell this story to every sledder, crap work gets crap advertising. This is the most satisfaction you can hope to get without wasting even more money. Tell the story and move on, call them out face to face in front of other sledders. The world needs more glengine's but mcbriode is to far away.

Off topic above but this shop does big bores/turbo's also so buyer be ware. Research shop history!....bitching over.

Last edited:

CMB70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking for any info who has used a 860 kit from Arctic Edge. I have read lot of the posts, but would like to hear from the guys with this kit. Would you do it again, and what extra's did you do to the clutch, etc. Thanks guys.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking for any info who has used a 860 kit from Arctic Edge. I have read lot of the posts, but would like to hear from the guys with this kit. Would you do it again, and what extra's did you do to the clutch, etc. Thanks guys.

Yes in a heart beat. My dad actually had a Sled shed kit on his, pulled it off and used a arctic edge kit. It worked that much better. One of my riding partners, i recommended it to him and he loves it. All of these where pump gas setups. Myself i did twin pipes, bondi box, e-tech thermostat, rave mod(lighter springs), and nitrous. This one pulls like a frieght train. torque is insane comapred to the rest, always sled lengths ahead in a race. Other guy did the y-pipes, air box mods, and e-tech thermostat with the same kit. Obviously with more power you will need to clutch it, just ask and they will give you a good starting point for your clutching.

CMB70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thks oler1234, I was going to do the y-pipe and a clutch kit from them at the same time. When I was talking to Brent he said that the stock pipe works fine. I'm alittle concerned with longevity of the motor. I dont want a pile of problems and want to set it up and ride. How long did it take to get it to run strong? Thks again.:)

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thks oler1234, I was going to do the y-pipe and a clutch kit from them at the same time. When I was talking to Brent he said that the stock pipe works fine. I'm alittle concerned with longevity of the motor. I dont want a pile of problems and want to set it up and ride. How long did it take to get it to run strong? Thks again.:)

i got 5500km on my sled, 4500km of those are with brents kit and i got the oil residue on the engine to prove it haha. His kit and his head likes the gas. Jet it with a 560 and a .30 shim for twins. Jet 540 and a .20 shim for the single + y pipe setup. make sure you have air box mods and the thermostat kit or it wont work worth a crap. This is what we found works best. others will disagree, but i always say how can you make power without fuel and air?

CMB70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that makes sense, with more power you will need more air and fuel. Is it a big difference over stock? What did you have to do to the clutches to make it work? Thks :cool:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no, you cant even tell theres a diffrence. :)

As for clutching, ask brent. He will give you a really good setup, if your not satisfied give me a pm once you got it installed and i will let yea know.

CMB70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thks, I got her all ripped apart and sending it off tomorrow. Cant wait til snow flys.

zeeberg7

Reaction score
Last season I WAS a little bit dissatisfied with my MOTS 880 Big Bore. I talked with Dynamo Joe and got everything worked out, I then talked with Tom at MOTS and brought him my sled. the motor was perfect, the issue i was having was electrical.

I guess I owe a sorry to TOM for doubting his engine. the actual issues ended up being a ground that he found and fixed for me, the clutching ended up being bad also with a few bushings and buttons that needed changing.

last trip to the mountains I was able to make some really nice pulls at peak HP (8000 to 8100RPM) and this setup flat out rips!

I am definitely happy with my machine now, as well as with the help that people provide to stand by there product.

People really need to hold what there beef is until they actually know the answer to there problem.

Thanks again TOM and JOE for your ENGINE and CLUTCHING help.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its nice to see that everything worked out. Just hope you didn't get on the forums blaming the builder as he could have lost some sales for no reason over something he had no contol over.
DJ is a great help with more than just clutching also.

zeeberg7

Reaction score
I have never bashed the builders of any of my aftermarket parts. it is other threads that I am refering too of people that slap there kits together and then get mad when they blow it up, without realizing why or how. Heading to Blue this weekend, gonna try out some gearing now that the clutching and bigbore is setup superbly!

Top Bottom